Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Maruishi RoadAce RX5

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-20, 01:59 PM
Guyatwork37

Bikes: Specialized Allez 3Rensho, Spcialized Roubaix Expert, Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Maruishi RoadAce RX5

Picked up a Maruishi RoadAce RX5 locally for $60, mostly based on the premise that if the bike itself can't be fixed up for the right amount, the components are worth a about $100, so enough profit for a new wrench or two and some beer

Anyone know what this bike might go for cleaned up?

I figure it will need bar tape, seat, chain, one new tube and tire, new pulley wheels for rear derailleur, cables, and housing, or about $100 - $110 in additional parts. Can it be sold for $200 or more? If not, then I'll just strip it down and part it out. But I can't find too much info on this bike unfortunately other than it's a mid level bike on mid level steel (range 900), so I thought others might know. Thanks!
​​​

Old 10-22-20, 02:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Pre-pandemic this was a $150ish bike. Prices have gone up but I suspect the market is getting soft again as the weather is turning colder and the initial surge in demand can't continue forever. I think asking $200 in today's market is a reasonable price once it's fixed up. You should be able to do that for under $110 in consumables, right? I'd put as little money in this as consistent with getting it into sound mechanical shape and decent cosmetic shape.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-22-20, 02:59 PM
Guyatwork37

I figure the cost breakdown would be as follows:

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->
Bike = 60
Bar Tape = 10
Chain = 10
Tire = 40
Pulley Wheels = 10
Seat = 20
Tube = 5
Cables = 5
Housing = 10

If you can point me in the direction of cheaper consumables, I'll gladly accept it 8.5.1
Old 10-22-20, 04:28 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I wouldn't replace the chain or the seat. Tires have gone crazy with the never ending trade wars so $40 sounds about right. That said if the old tires aren't cut, you can keep them and drop the price to $150 which is a deal in today's market.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-23-20, 12:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26415 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...Maruishi made one of the better Japanese Bicycles at the top of their line. The Road Ace is pretty close to the top of their line, as well as the Record, shown in this thread as post # 2. They are probably worth more than you can sell it for, because of the lack of name recognition in the US. They were more popular in Australia and New Zealand as imports, probably because of import networking.

I would not sell my Record that cheaply. It's worth more to me just to ride it.

With all the parts and consumables price inflation and problems with availability, it might be difficult to fix, flip, and profit in the old style. Too bad it's not your size, I think they ride very nicely.
Old 10-25-20, 08:09 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And, that's a very pretty red bike. With serial numbers up the seat tube it's probably a Kuwahara. So, that's a very big deal. Personally, I wouldn't let go of something like that for less than $300. Maybe more. The bare frame alone is worth over $150.

Here's pic of a Shogun Tange 900 frame I built up. It sold very fast for $350. (Probably could have got more).

Old 10-25-20, 10:32 PM
Guyatwork37

Originally Posted by ramzilla
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And, that's a very pretty red bike. With serial numbers up the seat tube it's probably a Kuwahara. So, that's a very big deal. Personally, I wouldn't let go of something like that for less than $300. Maybe more. The bare frame alone is worth over $150.

Here's pic of a Shogun Tange 900 frame I built up. It sold very fast for $350. (Probably could have got more).

So I'm unfamiliar with Kuwahara other than they're a bike manufacturer. Can you elaborate further on the significance here? Thanks!
Old 10-26-20, 09:08 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Very nice bike I would say $200-250 nicely fixed up and presented. One thing that holds the price down for me a bit is the mismatched front wheel and tire if it had the original gold tone front to match the rear with nice matching tires I could see it get $300. Yet to change the front and get matched tires would likely cost more than the price difference.
Old 10-26-20, 10:43 AM
Guyatwork37

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Very nice bike I would say $200-250 nicely fixed up and presented. One thing that holds the price down for me a bit is the mismatched front wheel and tire if it had the original gold tone front to match the rear with nice matching tires I could see it get $300. Yet to change the front and get matched tires would likely cost more than the price difference.
Oh yeah, that bothers me too. It's always strange to me when folks have bikes with mis-matching wheels/tires but I guess if you're just trying to get on the road, you'll take whatever is available.
Old 10-26-20, 11:40 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
There are couple of likely reasons for this on this bike either the front wheel was stolen at some point or was damaged from a crash. When I see mismatched wheels I always check the frame real close for alignment possible damaged since there's a good chance the bike was crashed at some or was project bike frame set someone got and built up on the cheap..
Old 10-26-20, 06:34 PM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by Guyatwork37
So I'm unfamiliar with Kuwahara other than they're a bike manufacturer. Can you elaborate further on the significance here? Thanks!
Kuwahara is probably the oldest bike manufacturer in Japan that's still in business today. They took a big hit during WW2 but, came back bigger and better afterwards. (Kuwahara became the administrator of a prisoner of war camp during the war. He was a big disappointment to the Emperor because he refused to torture the American Flyers). Known for making some of the finest bikes on the planet. (Including the "American Flyer").

They made beautiful road bikes in the 70's through the 80's and, began producing bmx and mountain bikes in the 90's. Lord only knows what they're up to now. But, I'm pretty sure they're still cranking out some wonderful stuff.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuwaha...cycle_company)

Last edited by ramzilla; 10-26-20 at 06:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-26-20, 06:47 PM
Guyatwork37

Kuwahara is probably the oldest bike manufacturer in Japan that's still in business today. They took a big hit during WW2 but, came back bigger and better afterwards. (Kuwahara became the administrator of a prisoner of war camp during the war. He was a big disappointment to the Emperor because he refused to torture the American Flyers). Known for making some of the finest bikes on the planet. (Including the "American Flyer").

They made beautiful road bikes in the 70's through the 80's and, began producing bmx and mountain bikes in the 90's. Lord only knows what they're up to now. But, I'm pretty sure they're still cranking out some wonderful stuff.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuwaha...cycle_company)
That's pretty a sweet, thanks! I dig what they did with the American Flyer, pretty cool.

So you're saying that the serial number on the seat tube indicates that the bike was made by Kuwahara?

Last edited by Guyatwork37; 10-26-20 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 06:54 PM
ramzilla

[QUOTE=Guyatwork37;21762211]That's pretty a sweet, thanks! I dig what they did with the American Flyer, pretty cool.

So you're saying that the serial number on the seatpost indicates that the bike was made by Kuwahara?[/QUOTE

Yes. Kuwahara was the only Japanese bike manufacturer that put their serial numbers on the seat tube. Another Kuwahara trademark is found stamped on the dropouts like this:

ANOTHER GOOD LINK: https://classicjapanesebicycles.com/maruishi/

Last edited by ramzilla; 10-26-20 at 07:15 PM.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 10-26-20, 07:29 PM
Guyatwork37

[QUOTE=ramzilla;21762222]
Originally Posted by Guyatwork37
That's pretty a sweet, thanks! I dig what they did with the American Flyer, pretty cool.

So you're saying that the serial number on the seatpost indicates that the bike was made by Kuwahara?[/QUOTE

Yes. Kuwahara was the only Japanese bike manufacturer that put their serial numbers on the seat tube. Another Kuwahara trademark is found stamped on the dropouts like this:

ANOTHER GOOD LINK: Maruishi - Classic Japanese Bicycles
I checked the dropouts right now but they don't seem to say Kuwahara unfortunately
Old 10-26-20, 07:55 PM
ramzilla

[QUOTE=Guyatwork37;21762269]

I checked the dropouts right now but they don't seem to say Kuwahara unfortunately
You lucked out on that Maruishi. I'm constantly on the hunt for bikes just like that. Made in Japan. Mid 1980's Centurion Ironman, Kuwahara Apollo, Club Fuji, Shogun Samurai, Sekine, Panasonic, Bridgestone RB-1, Miyata 1000, Maruishi - all very fine bikes. Equal or better than anything made in Italy, France or, England during the same time period. Usually procured for very little $$$. But, getting harder and harder to find. I think that people are finally beginning to realize that the old 1980's Japanese stuff is really good & worth hanging on to. Prices on good quality vintage Japanese bikes are going higher all the time. In good condition with new tires they sell fast. Mostly because they're still sell for only 1/3 to 1/2 of an equivalent vintage Italian bike or Paramount would go for. I got $460 for this 87 Ironman recently. Now, I'm thinking I should have held out for more. But, what the heck. Be good. Have fun.

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 04-25-22, 10:26 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Just in case you have a friend in Japan who will send it to you, there is a Maruishi Roadace going for 169 USD (buy it now) including postage to anywhere in Japan.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/o1047622313

Red Maruishi Roadace
The tyres are unusable and will be removed they say.
They are linking to Buyee who says that shipping will be from 300 USD on top of that to the US.
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/...ce_page_search

Last edited by timtak; 04-25-22 at 10:28 PM. Reason: tyres are unusable