Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless fail (video)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubeless fail (video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 03:00 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Tubeless fail (video)

I've never had a flat with a tubeless tire, so it's good to be aware of the possible issues when that happens.

TLDR - sidewall cuts are hard to plug because there's nothing backing it when you try to push the plug in (he ended up punching through both sidewalls); make sure your emergency tube has a long enough valve.

Likes For tyrion:
Old 10-26-20, 08:45 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
With some tire companies not taking tubeless low psi into account, or giving recommendations, doesn't running below 30 psi in a tire that may recommend 44 psi as a low...doesn't the low pressures increase the risk of sidewall damage?
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 10-27-20, 04:05 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I used to carry the Dynaplug tool and had mixed experiences with it. I had some occasions when it worked fine and other occasions when the plug pulled out of the tire. If the plug was in the tread and I was on clean pavement, the plug would stick to the pavement and get pulled out of the tire. The plugs are also a bit pricey and the metal ends sometimes fall off inside the tire and bounce around in there.

I switched over to carrying the Genuine Innovations tool, which also has a valve core tool in the base so you can add more sealant if you carry some with you. I wrap the tool with some Gorilla Tape, which has a dual function of quieting the tool in the frame bag and providing a boot for the inside of the tire in the event that I get a large cut and have to put in a tube.
Old 10-27-20, 05:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
My first wife was an Aussie, so I can’t watch that video – the guy’s accent gives me the heebie-jeebies.