Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Internal cable replacement

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-27-20, 10:13 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts

Have Tiagra road brifters on a bike, new last year, about 1500 miles on it. Have been getting misshifts on RD wherein it downshifts and then upshifts as soon as I release lever. I'm told that's classic case of frayed cable inside shifter. I want to replace only the inner cable at this point.

First time with internally routed cables. It appears that my bike has cable housing all the way from brifters, into down tube, and exiting at BB. In that case, do I need to bother with pushing a guide tube over the inner before removing it, or can I just push the new inner through the existing cable housing just as I would on an externally routed bike.

The cable housing does run under the bar tape, which I recently replaced, so I'm not inclined to want to remove that, since I finally got it the way I like it after considerable effort.
Old 10-27-20, 09:02 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not many road bikes have full length housing so you should make sure that it does actually go all the way from the SHIFTER to the derailleur. It does sound like a frayed cable inside the SHIFTER, usually you can pull the hood back and check. 1500 mi is a little soon for that but not impossible. What bike is it? Brand/model.
Old 10-28-20, 04:36 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
If the housing just goes through a plain hole or grommet into the downtube, it probably continues all the way through. Can you pull on the housing to see if moving one end moves the other?
Old 10-28-20, 04:54 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Have Tiagra road brifters on a bike, new last year, about 1500 miles on it. Have been getting misshifts on RD wherein it downshifts and then upshifts as soon as I release lever. I'm told that's classic case of frayed cable inside shifter. I want to replace only the inner cable at this point.

First time with internally routed cables. It appears that my bike has cable housing all the way from brifters, into down tube, and exiting at BB. In that case, do I need to bother with pushing a guide tube over the inner before removing it, or can I just push the new inner through the existing cable housing just as I would on an externally routed bike.

The cable housing does run under the bar tape, which I recently replaced, so I'm not inclined to want to remove that, since I finally got it the way I like it after considerable effort.
If the outers exits on the BB, just pull or push it slightly and see if it moves on the other end. If it does, it's the same piece and you can replace the inner without the need of a guide.
Old 10-28-20, 10:08 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Thanks folks. It's a 700c gravel bike and it looks like the cable housing runs continuously from the inline adjuster up front right to the RD. I'll pull on it a bit to make sure its continuous, but it appears to be. Watched a few videos before starting this thread, but they were more confusing than helpful due to so many different ways internal cabling is done. My cable housing comes out just behind BB and runs along under side of chainstay with several zip tie fittings on chainstay. Glad to hear I won't need to fuss with guide tubes and such!