Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Consistency of flux does matter

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 02-18-20, 11:42 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts

Pulled the flux off the shelf yesterday and discovered it was a tad thicker than normal so I added water, too much water so I thought. Consistency of the flux was a bit runny, but there is no way to remove water from it so I used it. Discovered that it flowed the filler (silver) better than it did when it was fresh out of the tub when new. Not sure why, but it really did make a difference. Has anyone experienced this or is it my imagination?
Old 02-18-20, 12:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I like fresh flux, but I always let it dry out. I have never noticed any difference between fresh and dilute flux in the way it works
Old 02-19-20, 11:17 AM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Using Gasflux B I generally add a little water(distilled as suggested somewhere, and even when the flux is not dried out) to obtain a thick cream like consistency that flows on smoothly. I lose a little this way from runoff but for me it works better than straight from container which leaves very thin coverage in some areas that burn even on initial heating, well before other areas approach liquid/brazing temps. Once I apply the flux and it starts to "crust" I let it cool just a bit, then add more of the "cream" to get a thicker layer, seems to work best for me (I'm doing this with fillet practice), no downside that I'm aware of.

Since we're discussing flux what causes the reddish hue seen below? The fillet is mine but I see this color on some pro fillet pics as well.
Old 02-19-20, 12:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I am pretty sure it is a light precipitate of copper, sort of like the carbon precipitate you see on a typical joint. I have seen it sometimes on my fillets. It's easy to overheat some bronze. I think this is evidence that some was overheated a little. It's not indicative of a problem at all AFAIK. Even the joints that have copper all over them probably will hold up fine.
Old 02-22-20, 04:43 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Calstar, wish I could make a fillet like that.
Old 02-22-20, 06:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

He has been practicing, warms my heart. You too can make fillets like that, just practice a lot.
Old 02-22-20, 07:06 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Pulled the flux off the shelf yesterday and discovered it was a tad thicker than normal so I added water, too much water so I thought. Consistency of the flux was a bit runny, but there is no way to remove water from it so I used it.
A method to add just a little water is to use a spritzer or spray bottle like the kind to water the leaves of plants. They are sold everywhere but I looked around until I found a smaller one. Nozzles can sometimes be turned so it will go from spraying a mist to a stream. It only takes a few squirts to wet out flux enough to spread better.

This is an essential tool to have in class because a student almost always adds too much if they go to the sink and try to add a little water from the faucet. If that happens the tub has to sit out in the sun for awhile.
Old 02-22-20, 08:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Doug, you spritz the tub? I always add too much water, I put it in the microwave
Old 02-22-20, 10:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I'll set my faucet to a drip and then wave the tub back and forth, in and out, of the drips. Usually don't over add this way. I like my flux thick, not runny. Andy
Old 02-22-20, 01:33 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Doug, you spritz the tub? I always add too much water, I put it in the microwave
Yea it is easy that way to add just a small amount slowly so I don't add too much. Here is a picture of my fluxes. My old spritzer is visible in my oxyacetylene cart. From left to right is my powdered Gasflux Type G, then Type B and Type G paste and then Cycle Design Stainless Light and finally powdered Type B in an old flux can from the 70's. The spritzer queen is sitting regally on top of the G tub.
Old 02-22-20, 03:40 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Goolged gasflux type B1 powder and can't seem to find a source, where do I buy it?

thanks, Brian
Old 02-22-20, 04:39 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by calstar
Goolged gasflux type B1 powder and can't seem to find a source, where do I buy it?

thanks, Brian
I have an account with Gasflux and buy it directly from them as I have for years. I get C-04 bronze from them as well and they also sell me 56% silver.