Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Looking for a bike fit critique

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 04:56 PM
ohlins8990

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking for some critique on how my fit looks. Still having some saddle discomfort issues and wondering if it's just a matter of finding the right saddle, or if there is something else triggering the issue. I also tend to get numb hands on longer rides (30+ mile), but think it is just because I'm not moving my hands around enough. Thanks in advance for feedback.

Can't post imagesdue to post count, please take the space out for pictures.

https://imgur.com/VQHEGCs

https://imgur.com/S6sjJn6
Old 01-08-18, 12:52 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like you could use a longer stem, besides that the (effective) top tube is way too short given your torso & arm length.

TL;DR version: this bike is too small for you.
Old 01-08-18, 01:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The frame looks too small from what I can see in the photos. Move your saddle back until your hands feel light on the bars. Ignore KOPS - knee over pedal spindle. Just reduce the weight on your hands. You will probably need a setback seatpost if you don't already have one. Then increase the length of your stem until your upper arms are at a right angle to your torso. And while looking at that, roll your hips forward so that your lower back is as flat as you can get it, instead of rounded like in the photos. That will move your shoulders forward and show you that you need an even longer stem. You look all scrunched up now.
Old 01-08-18, 10:32 PM
ohlins8990

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guess I'm a bit more long torso'd than I thought. This frame has a 571mm effective top tube and 73 deg STA. Bikegeo.net is putting stack and reach at 582 and 392 at the frame, and I'm running a 120mm stem. I went ahead and ordered a 140mm stem, and I have plenty of room to move the saddle back.

Based on some powerpoint olympics, to get my upper arm at a 90 deg angle would take something like 100mm more effective top tube. Kinda wondering what frames have the longer reach/effective top tube without increasing the stack a ton.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-09-18, 04:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by ohlins8990
Guess I'm a bit more long torso'd than I thought. This frame has a 571mm effective top tube and 73 deg STA. Bikegeo.net is putting stack and reach at 582 and 392 at the frame, and I'm running a 120mm stem. I went ahead and ordered a 140mm stem, and I have plenty of room to move the saddle back.

Based on some powerpoint olympics, to get my upper arm at a 90 deg angle would take something like 100mm more effective top tube. Kinda wondering what frames have the longer reach/effective top tube without increasing the stack a ton.

Appreciate the feedback.
I was looking at that head tube and thinking, "Huh, that's sure a long head tube on such a small bike." But no, you're just a big guy. Those cranks look silly short on you, too. Is that a 58cm?

As far as the head tube goes, I don't know. I have a riding buddy who's 6'5". He had a custom TI frame made 15 or so years ago. 200mm cranks are a bit too short for him
Old 01-09-18, 05:21 PM
ohlins8990

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its advertised as a 55cm due to the compact geometry, but matches pretty close to most company’s 58. They do offer one size bigger, but the stack was pretty tall on it. I asked for 170mm cranks since that what my previous bike had. It also must’ve had a lower BB because I havent had the pedal scraping problems on the new bike.
Old 01-15-18, 12:26 AM
Curt d

Bikes: ‘15 Ridley Fenix, ‘18 Sunday Sound wave, ‘16 Fit Dugan Signature

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP...what area are you from?
There’s so much advice out there that may work for one and not the other. Get a proper fit from a reputable fitter. I have a buddy who tried to fit himself for years and was never happy. For years I told him to get a fit. He finally did and now enjoys riding. Getting into biking 3 yrs ago I have been to 3 fitters. The first was recommended and did a retul fit which sucked. The next just watched me on a cyclotrainer and it was great. I had an IT band issue over 55 miles and ended up in Austin,tx for a fit (I’m in IL) which immediately let me ride as far as I wanted.
Old 01-19-18, 10:35 AM
ohlins8990

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Central IL
Old 01-21-18, 06:54 PM
Curt d

Bikes: ‘15 Ridley Fenix, ‘18 Sunday Sound wave, ‘16 Fit Dugan Signature

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be a drive, but I’m 100% sure you would be super happy with Colin @ Cronometro in Madison,WI.
My buddies seat issues (and he bought a lot of them!) were cured with a fit.
Old 01-24-18, 12:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I'd suggest getting larger toe clips, or spacing the current ones forward,

to get more of your foot on the pedal.
Old 01-27-18, 11:29 PM
ohlins8990

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
And while looking at that, roll your hips forward so that your lower back is as flat as you can get it, instead of rounded like in the photos. That will move your shoulders forward and show you that you need an even longer stem. You look all scrunched up now.
Have the 140mm stem installed and seat moved back about 20mm. Still don't have all the weight off my hands, but doesn't hurt any worse either. Biggest issue is the rolling hips forward. I'm plenty flexible enough to do so, but can't because every saddle I've tried has not gotten the weight off places where weight shouldn't be when rolled that far forward (definitely compressing nerves/blood supply). Short of tilting them way forward and really loading up my arms, I'm not sure where to go.

Definitely interested in good places for bike fits around IL. WI might be a reach unless I can find some other excuse to go up there...maybe when it warms up or something.
Old 01-27-18, 11:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by ohlins8990
Have the 140mm stem installed and seat moved back about 20mm. Still don't have all the weight off my hands, but doesn't hurt any worse either. Biggest issue is the rolling hips forward. I'm plenty flexible enough to do so, but can't because every saddle I've tried has not gotten the weight off places where weight shouldn't be when rolled that far forward (definitely compressing nerves/blood supply). Short of tilting them way forward and really loading up my arms, I'm not sure where to go.

Definitely interested in good places for bike fits around IL. WI might be a reach unless I can find some other excuse to go up there...maybe when it warms up or something.
There's a saddle for everyone, you just have to find it. The Selle SMP works for many people, though certainly not for me. See: https://www.bikeforums.net/20117398-post10.html

Sounds like your position is better anyway. You don't really want all the weight off your hands, just enough so that you aren't always pushing back with your arms.
Old 01-28-18, 12:07 AM
ohlins8990

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Selle SMP Drakon is what is under my butt in those original pictures. One of the better ones Ive tried, but definitely not where I want to be for much more than an hour or so.
Old 02-03-18, 12:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Adequate for a JRA/Touring/Audax posture to my eye.. you may have a more aggressive full race posture in mind, perhaps?