Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cycle Computer Recommendation?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-18, 12:15 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I'm looking for an affordable (under $50) basic 8 to 12 function wireless cycle computer that will work at -20°F or colder.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-18, 07:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'll never go back to a wheel circumference computer. I've got a basic Garmin GPS (don't know the model) that suites me. No programming and I can move it from bike to bike. Lots of folks just use a phone app of some kind.
Old 12-21-18, 07:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
No specific models but if you're going with a wheel mag sensed computer I much prefer one with two buttons controlling functions.Andy
Old 12-21-18, 07:50 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I don't know of any cyclometer (or phone or GPS for that matter) that works well at -20 F and below since the "weak link" at those temperatures is the battery. That said, i've had excellent service from several Cat-Eye models. I've only used their wired cyclometers but they've been economical, durable, accurate and easy to operate.
Old 12-21-18, 08:51 AM
rmueller

Bikes: Catrike Villager with Golden Motor Magic Pie Edge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
I'm looking for an affordable (under $50) basic 8 to 12 function wireless cycle computer that will work at -20°F or colder.
Any suggestions?
My IGPS50E, is spec'd at 14deg F. I would agree, the battery is the issue at those temps. I don't even charge my devices outside if it's below 32F, that's about the limit for lithium devices before you start to degrade the chemistry and ruin the cells. I have no problem using devices at colder temps, as long as they start indoors, and I don't deplete the cells below 20%.

Gotta ask, why would you ride in -20deg weather, that's got to be brutal?

Ron
Old 12-21-18, 09:07 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I've had very good luck with the Cat-eye Micro wireless computers, my wife still use them. They work in all conditions(don't know about -20), but rain, fog, snow and heat hasn't killed them.
Now I use a Cat-eye gps unit my son got me a few years ago. I works well, hold a charge a long time. The beauty of it is that I can move it from bike to bike with out having to change any settings, you just have to buy extra mounts for it. The only real problem is that it sometimes loses the GPS signal under heavy leaf cover. The ride details can be loaded to something such as Strava so you can track you mileage etc..
Old 12-21-18, 09:18 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Riding in -20ºF? Phone App, with the phone in your jersey pocket, underneath (presumably) a parka, so your body heat can stop the battery from freezing. Things like electric cars have to use specially formulated batteries to perform below freezing-- the batteries in consumer electronics (like bike computers) are gonna be super unhappy when asked to operate anywhere near or below 0ºF. If you don't want to go the smartphone route, there's always the tried-and-true technology of yesteryear:

Doesn't care about heat or cold.
Old 12-21-18, 01:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
-20, mostly none. As said it's a battery issue more than anything.
Old 12-21-18, 02:22 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I ride down to -20F with Sigma BC 16.12 There may be some update by now of this computer. Battery operation has not been a problem in the cold. The screen has not been fading out at low temperatures, like for some other computers, and it has a backlight that does not cause a fade-out either.

Oops, I missed the wireless requirement. I presume there is a wireless version but I cannot attest its cold operation...

Last edited by 2_i; 12-21-18 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Oops
Old 12-21-18, 11:15 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I ride down to -20F with Sigma BC 16.12 There may be some update by now of this computer. Battery operation has not been a problem in the cold. The screen has not been fading out at low temperatures, like for some other computers, and it has a backlight that does not cause a fade-out either.

Oops, I missed the wireless requirement. I presume there is a wireless version but I cannot attest its cold operation...
I love Sigma. I have met very few people who use them. A little hard to get used to (I am not a 12 year old computer genius)
Old 12-22-18, 09:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
there's always the tried-and-true technology of yesteryear
but can you still buy those? those used to be fun on my stingray 50 yrs ago!
Old 12-22-18, 09:24 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
but can you still buy those? those used to be fun on my stingray 50 yrs ago!
Oh yeah. MakeTheOne Mechanical Speedometer. Quite a few different models on Amazon.
Old 12-22-18, 07:26 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Oh yeah. MakeTheOne Mechanical Speedometer. Quite a few different models on Amazon.
haha amazing. mine used to have 2 fingers that fit into the spokes. this modern one has only 1. love the classic look but I would never got back to something that big. not even my Tony the Tiger growling handlebar noise maker

Old 12-23-18, 03:01 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Hmm...

*looks at bright red comfort hybrid/errand bike*

*imagines sissy bar and ape hangers*

*and squeezy bulb clown honker*

*imagines it would be terrible climbing hills*

*kinda want anyway*

LET'S DO THIS!!!

Yup.
Old 12-23-18, 03:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Semi-seriously... nope, can't be serious. -20F and riding bikes? Nope. Nopittynopenope. Also nope.

Only use I can imagine for a handlebar mounted doodad in winter might be for navigation and emergency comms, for bikepacking or long rides in unpopulated or lightly populated areas. There's nothing like that under $50. A phone could substitute and could be used in a handlebar bag protected in a map pocket with a USB battery in the bag for extended runtime. And Topeak and others have weatherproof mounts/pouches for phones. It might be possible to squeeze a dry chemical heat pack or similar doodad in those to keep the phone warm enough to run reliably in subzero temps.

Also I'd check to be sure there are lithium batteries available for any device. Those may perform reliably below zero. I used lithium AA in winter for my cameras and flashes that took AA and they worked fine into the teens, which is as cold as it gets in my area (traveling between Texas and Oklahoma panhandle). NiMH batteries were okay down to the 20s. My cameras that use rechargeable proprietary Li-Ion batteries tend to work at all temps I encounter. I've even stored 'em in the freezer overnight to test, but that doesn't get anywhere close to zero, let alone -20F.

Any wireless speedo/odo will use at least two batteries, often different types -- one in the unit on the fork, another on the display/receiver. If they both use lithiums they may work in subridiculous temps.

There are a zillion speedo/odo units on Amazon and elsewhere for under $50. I got a "SY" branded basic wireless computer for $12 in July -- the same unit is rebadged under various names. Works fine, weighs almost nothing, does what I need, and I won't be upset if it breaks or gets stolen. It's always virtually identical to my phone apps.

But I use the little speedo/odo only on my road bike for serious workouts to push myself. Can't say that it's actually helped. All my PRs and my one or two KOMs were sans-handlebar mounted doodads, back in the spring. I stripped off everything unnecessary to save weight and aero drag. Just the phone in my jersey pocket or saddle bag.

On my hybrids I only use my phone, which is in my pocket. I don't really need to know I'm loafing along at 12 mph.
Old 12-23-18, 04:12 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I use a Cateye Strada Slim. Never used it in that type of cold. It uses replacable button Lithium 1032 in the sensor (the head is a different one). It does have large digits that might be handy when your eyes are half frozen shut.

I have found the 1032 LIthiums work at 0 degrees in other devices. The advantage with replacable is a warm battery can be kept on your person. I have been in sub-zero with my Canon F-1n with a Lithium and no issues (even if it did that camera could work without a battery, but no metering.) Rechargables are not as effective in real cold and can be damaged if run down, as RMueller said in Post #5 . In winter I carry my phone in a flapped shirt pocket instead of the belt holster to keep it warm.
Old 12-23-18, 07:28 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Crud.
I must be getting old. I forgot about the battery issue.

Oh well ... Maybe I can find one of those front axle mount odometers that click with every wheel revolution.

The classic mechanical speedo/odo won't work. All I can find are for 26" and larger, (trike has 24" wheels) and/or are set for Km per hour.
I don't do Km's or the metric system.
Old 12-29-18, 09:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
I had a friend who, many years ago, used a SKU tire drive spedo and did his own calibration. He opened it up and put his redrawn "clock face" in it. I learned about measured miles for taxi and cop car calibrations from him. Andy