Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What are your rules when upgrading to more modern components?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What are your rules when upgrading to more modern components?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 02:05 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Just to play devil's advocate: if you aren't already on your hoods, you're reaching for your shifters with brifters too...

Troof.
Old 01-29-19, 03:39 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I've got a sliding scale of what I'm willing to do restoring a bike:

1. If it's pre-Bike Boom, the standard is factory original only. Period. I figure those bikes are rare enough to begin with, so I prefer to show them as they were originally built. Where I haven't come up with the proper parts yet, I'll substitute something that's period correct for the build year of the bike, or 2-3 years newer.

2. Seventies into the Eighties bikes, depending on my mood are either built to factory original or alternately something that would be an upgrade on a 3-5 year old bike back then.

3. Newer than that, pretty much anything goes, but given that I don't own anything more modern than my one bike with 7-speed Shimano RSX and brifters (an early 90's Diamondback), I usually end up staying pretty much within the age of the frame. Sold off my collection of brifterd bikes before leaving Montpelier, and the most modern I had back then was an aluminum/carbon Fuji with 9-speed Ultegra. Found I was enjoying riding the Rossins much more.

I've got no problem with putting modern state-of-the-art 11-speed on a vintage frame . . . . . . . . . except that costs too much money for my wallet, and given my riding abilities, it's not money well spent. 6-speed Shimano with downtube indexed shifters is still the sweet spot for me. Although, assuming I find a fourth Rossin RL 56cm frame, I'd be tempted to build it up totally modern just to see how it felt.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 01-29-19 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Spell checking
Old 01-29-19, 04:27 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate: if you aren't already on your hoods, you're reaching for your shifters with brifters too...

I question this notion that one needs to reach down to get to DT shifters. Certainly I don't need to move my back position. My hand just moves over a few inches. I suppose it depends on your starting position. Mine isn't particularly aggressive at this point, but it still doesn't require reaching down.
Same here - it doesn't feel like a reach. After riding bikes laid out like this since about 1970, it feels as natural as can be. I'm getting to the point where Ergos feel as familiar, but really, not quite there yet!
Old 01-29-19, 04:28 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
Troof.
Out of twelve or so bikes mine are all downtube with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions (barcons). When I'm riding the barcons bikes, I almost always reach for the downtubes first!

Also I like that when using the downtube levers they don't effect the steering. The barcons seem to introduce a bit of wobble. That said I'm sure it's about getting used to them and I've got a couple sets to put on other touring bikes so I'm not against them, just getting accustomed to them. But then I also really like standard shifting automobiles too. More connection and steeper learning curve👍

For the rest of it I'm still deciding. I've got enough bikes that I'd like to at least try a modern set up and see what it's like! I've only used brifters once... On a tandem!
Old 01-29-19, 04:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts

I question this notion that one needs to reach down to get to DT shifters. Certainly I don't need to move my back position. My hand just moves over a few inches. I suppose it depends on your starting position. Mine isn't particularly aggressive at this point, but it still doesn't require reaching down.
I find with modern brifters the ergonomics are such that I am on the hood 99% of the time......doing drops more as conditioning and reducing waistband allow

I have no problems with downtube....building up team miyata that way downtube friction.

I don't like barcons at all..... tried them (nice indexed 9 speed dura ace) and shifting always felt more awkward and off balance than a down tube, and I kept hitting them with my knee at stops resulting in uplanned shifts at the exact wrong time

Old 01-29-19, 05:03 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Almost all of my bikes are sporting Campagnolo “brifters”. To do anything else has become the exception. Similar setups allow me to differentiate between the frames on a handling and ride basis most easily. Once a bike gets upgraded to 2k specs it is rare for it to change.

I ride the brifterized bikes on the tops and drops in the same way as if they had DT shifting. Therefore much longer frame specs than most my size would prefer. Handle as they would have BITD

I have a few that are more period correct but those are the Sunday recovery riders.

No particular rules involved, just know what I like.
Old 01-29-19, 06:05 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
"Can I upgrade without having to upgrade a bunch of other things?"
Yes? Upgrade.
No? Forget it.
(Unless it's the RD from friction to indexed, or Shimano to SRAM. Then I include the shifters as part of the upgrade.)
Old 01-29-19, 08:00 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
For the rest of it I'm still deciding. I've got enough bikes that I'd like to at least try a modern set up and see what it's like! I've only used brifters once... On a tandem!
Brifters are one of the few modern improvements that I do actually consider an improvement. They are quite good. What I don't like about them is that they making riding too fussy. On a day out with the Diamondback, I shift about five times as often as I do with, say, one of the Rossin's. It's so convenient, the slightest uphill or downhill, I find myself shifting down or up a gear respectively. With downtube shifter, I just tramp on the pedal a little harder, or coast a little quicker.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-29-19, 10:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

I can relate. I still like downtube options, a lot. Shimano was smart to make 9sp and 10sp down tube shifters. For me, anyway. I used to get a kick out of mounting modern stuff on a classic bike, because someone almost always took the bait and said something about it, almost never favorable. It's become commonplace now, so I (sniff) don't get to argue as much as I used to.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 01-29-19 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-29-19, 10:47 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I don't limit myself with any hard and fast rules. My whims are my guides. Some bikes I stay pretty close to period correct. Others I veer off into more peculiar territory.

Example: A few years back I got the notion to put together a bike that would be at home on pavement and on dirt roads and some mild singletrack. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it because I wasn't sure I'd even enjoy that kind of riding. Without buying a lot of components I put together this bike mostly with parts on hand.

The result was an unqualified success in my mind; But what a hodge-podge of parts! A forty-year-old Motobecane frame cold set to 130mm, TA cranks, Campy Chorus 10-speed shifters, Shimano XT rear derailleur and 8-speed Shimano casette, Shimano Ultegra hubs, Velo Orange rims, SPD pedals, and a Brooks saddle.

Brent
Wait wait wait. How the hell does your gearing system play nicely? I'm not well versed with 10spd stuff.
Old 01-30-19, 09:31 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,462 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Wait wait wait. How the hell does your gearing system play nicely? I'm not well versed with 10spd stuff.
Campy 10-speed shifters get along very nicely with Shimano 8-speed cassettes and rear derailleurs. Front derailleur doesn't matter since Campy front is ratcheting, not indexing. I learned about it somewhere here on C&V.

Several years ago I was given a set of Campy 10-speed levers that needed a rebuild and I had a couple sets of wheels with Shimano spacing on the freehubs so it was a cheap experiment that worked out very well. I've used it on several builds since then.
Brent
Old 01-30-19, 09:32 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Mostly, if a more modern part improves without looking out of place, I'll consider it. My daily-rider Palo Alto has a sealed-bearing headset and is getting a sealed bottom bracket. But, despite have neck/back problems for most of my adult life, I'm resisting riser stems. "Aero" brake levels and/or brifters are no-go, unless someone comes out with "cheater" brifters that look classic and have non-aero cables.

Old 01-30-19, 11:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
All my c&v bikes have been from '78-92. Never owned anything older.
Given that, my views arent based on keeping a 60 year old bike original as I havent come upon one for me.

I modernize all my c&v bikes to varying degrees.

Always update-
- crankset to a 50/34 or 48/34 compact double. Usually I use a Sugino or SR crank from the 80s so it looks period correct.
- wheels if needed. Always to cassette vs freewheel. And the cassette will be a decently wide range to allow for varied riding.
- tires, tape, pedals, and saddle. These are touch points for me and the bike so they must be comfortable. No plastic or cotton tape for example.
- bars. Soma Hwy1 bars are the go to. Inexpensive, fit well, and offered in silver.

Sometimes update-
- drivetrain. I usually keep it original if its something quality(mid-level or better) and indexed since all of my c&v bikes are 7 or 9sp and thats compatible with indexed Shimano.
- stem. I usually get a Nitto Dynamic II stem as its 90deg and is still a quill. Allows for better fit on the c&v frames I use.
- shifting. Indexed bar end shifters(for the touring bike) or STI/paddle shifting(for the road bikes). I have never liked downtube shifters and when Microshift 7, 8, and 9sp shifters cost $43 shipped to me, there is no downside to changing shifting over.

I like old steel with a mix of modern and period correct components. Its a lot of the fun for me- to mix and match to make a bike that works great for me.
Old 01-30-19, 11:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
Beyond consumables, my rule is "don't". It ends up being a poor substitute for a new bike as well as destroying most of the immediate and future collector value. If I want a new bike I'll just go buy a new bike, but I'm here because I like old bikes and that's what I ride.

Remember that there's a whole lot of stuff in museums that wasn't historically significant or one-of-kind rare for a long time. It's tough to go wrong by respecting our history.
None of my bikes have 'collector value'. Most bikes here dont have collector value. Those that do have collector value are procured to be displayed and not ridden, so this conversation is pretty moot for that type of bike.
I respectfully disagree that a modernized c&v frame is a poor substitute for a new bike. What I see is typically significantly less expensive and the quality is often time at the same level or better. My wife's road bike is a Cannondale Synapse with Sora drivetrain. It listed for almost $1100 retail 4 years ago. I have modernized c&v frames with higher level groupsets and better quality wheels that cost half as much.
I wouldnt ever sat that updating a bike is disrespecting our history either.

With that said, i love the look of an original 40 year old bike. It can be just beautiful.
Old 01-30-19, 12:17 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
B It's tough to go wrong by respecting our history.
Since all of my now "C&V" bikes were purchased new, modified for my fit and functional requirements before they left the shop and have been kept in service since with whatever replacement hardware has been necessary they are part of my ongoing cycling history. That's all of the respect they are going to get.

-Bandera
Old 01-30-19, 12:44 PM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
I got my motobecane super touring new, when I was 15. I started swapping parts when the next Bike Warehouse arrived. As best as I can recall, I've never changed the headset. Just about everything else has been "upgraded", often more than once. My other bikes get modified as desired too. Brifters - done it. Triples - Usually. bar-cons- often. 27" to 700c conversions -sure. Raleigh three speeds would be the exception. I tend to look for period appropriate parts for those, if only because so little else fits.
Old 01-30-19, 12:49 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 261 Posts
I personally believe that there are no rules. However, If im going to retro-mod a bicycle I do the entire thing. I dont just upgrade brakes or drivetrain. I only did this once. see the Miyata below. I also have a factory retro-mod Masi. Made in Chitaly. I have one more retor-mod I would like to make. Maybe a Colnago steel frame with Newer Campagnolo Record.

I changed to a flat stem.
I personally believe that there are no rules. However, If im going to retromod a bicycle I do the entire thing. I dont just upgrade brakes or drivetrain. I only did this once. see the Miyata below. I also have a factory retromod Masi. Made in Chitaly. I have one more retormod I would like to make. Maybe a colnago steel frame with Newer Campagnolo Record.

Last edited by jjhabbs; 01-30-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 01:05 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
I personally believe that there are no rules. However, If im going to retro-mod a bicycle I do the entire thing. I dont just upgrade brakes or drivetrain. I only did this once. see the Miyata below. I also have a factory retro-mod Masi. Made in Chitaly. I have one more retor-mod I would like to make. Maybe a Colnago steel frame with Newer Campagnolo Record.

I changed to a flat stem.
I personally believe that there are no rules. However, If im going to retromod a bicycle I do the entire thing. I dont just upgrade brakes or drivetrain. I only did this once. see the Miyata below. I also have a factory retromod Masi. Made in Chitaly. I have one more retormod I would like to make. Maybe a colnago steel frame with Newer Campagnolo Record.
Those turned out very nice. Congrats!
Old 01-30-19, 01:24 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Will it be more fun? Will it be lighter? Will it be cooler looking
Old 01-30-19, 01:34 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
As long as it doesn't destroy the aesthetics of the bike, I'm cool with adding modern stuff.

I absolutely hated the original brake levers on my Grand Jubile, so I swapped out the levers for short reach Tektro's, and added some Tektro cross levers at the time time. The MKS Sylvan bike pedals fit right in with the French styling. The Orange Velo bottle cage doesn't seem out of place. The bike still looks beautiful to me, and it's a lot more comfy and functional on my 3-mile round trip bike commute.

Old 01-30-19, 09:29 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts

Well, to play devils abacus advocate... the hand you're reaching with has no control of the bars at any time from the beginning of the reach, during the shift, during the trim and the reach back up to the bars. Best case scenario, you avoid the time spent trimming. You could also miss a shift, taking even more time with 50% of your control removed from the handlebars.

It seems that many, many riders have adopted the position on the hoods- as riding on the hoods as a comfortable, viable location to ride from. When shifting from the hoods- even if you have to move position to get to the hoods, both hands are capable of being (if not already) in control of the handlebars during shifting. In a cursory Google Image search- without exception- every bicycle, regardless of the shortness of the top tube and regardless of how short or slammed the stem is, ALWAYS has the shifter boss lower than the bottom drops and well to the rear of the end of the bars, necessitating a reach downwards and rearwards to shift downtube shifters.

But since this thread is about individual "rules" about "modernizing" bikes- judging from pictures people have posted- there are a few aesthetic and functional choices that I would say are "questionable," (and a whole lot more that I think are outrageously fantastic), but the most important part is that people love what they're riding.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-30-19, 10:50 PM
ratfink76

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1994 Kona Lava Dome, 1991 Quattro Assi, 1990 Bottecchia Team ADR SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know if I'd call them rules but I do have two visual preferences when I plan my builds.

First, I think the seatpost, crankset and stem should all be same color (all chrome or all black).

I also like saddle and bartape to match.. if the bartape is matched with something else on the bike (a color on the frame or the cables) then the saddle should be black or white.
Old 01-31-19, 09:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by ratfink76
I like saddle and bartape to match.. .
The matching brows cue.

I think the seatpost, crankset and stem should all be same color (all chrome or all black).
Ah, the "two eyes and a mouth" triangular visual cue...

.. if the bartape is matched with something else on the bike (a color on the frame or the cables) then the saddle should be black or white.
….and the bleach blonde situation.
Old 01-31-19, 11:59 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I allowed my bike's components to evolve over the decades. The only things original were the seat post and saddle. Then, about ten years ago, I said to myself, "Screw it all!". I put the original equipment back on it and couldn't be happier.

I now have a 5 speed freewheel in the rear and Nuovo Record throughout. There are only two upgrades I kept to avoid maintenance - a Phil Wood bottom bracket (~1978) and Performance sealed bearing wheels.
Old 02-01-19, 02:51 AM
Midnite

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi SLR 200 - Decathlon BFOLD 3 - Kron MTB 2300 - 89 Peugeot Saint Bernard

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow thats great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.