Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Positive vibes flowed back to me.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Positive vibes flowed back to me.

Old 11-26-19, 04:29 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Someone threw their bike with the computer still on it in the trash?
Brand new Wahoo 580! I can't believe my luck! Nah, it's an old plastic era-appropriate thing that doesn't work and is corroded into place (battery leakage?).

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 11-26-19, 05:09 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
That Uniglide cassette (or freewheel) looks completely un-worn! Those are some of the best ever made, especially for friction shifting, and the 6-speed cassettes fetch the most money as even a set of the 6-speed cassette spacers goes for a significant sum on Ebay.

There is the possiblilty that the smallest cog there is heavily-worn, because the chain is blocking our view of it and because some riders in the friction-shifting days would actually settle on using that gear if the lever friction tension screw loosened, or in lieu of having to make nasty noises trying to learn how to shift properly.
If so, it will be readily apparent by visual inspection, with the teeth having an asymmetric wear pattern that is easy to see.

Don't discard the cogs!

Last edited by dddd; 11-26-19 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-26-19, 05:09 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
jimmuller,
I have been guilty of dumpster diving in the past and almost always find someone to ask if it really is trash. My last dumpster find was a trek 700 that went to the co-op, and when I asked the owner brought up a Trek 930 that he hadn't gotten out of the basement yet. He was cleaning the house for a friend who was in the hospital. A good dumpster find. We have a rather transient population here in a college town and all sorts of bikes wind up orphans. The apartment complexes are willing to have the racks cleaned twice a year from bikes that were just left by tenants. Smiles, MH
Old 11-26-19, 05:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
jimmuller,
I have been guilty of dumpster diving in the past and almost always find someone to ask if it really is trash. My last dumpster find was a trek 700 that went to the co-op, and when I asked the owner brought up a Trek 930 that he hadn't gotten out of the basement yet. He was cleaning the house for a friend who was in the hospital. A good dumpster find. We have a rather transient population here in a college town and all sorts of bikes wind up orphans. The apartment complexes are willing to have the racks cleaned twice a year from bikes that were just left by tenants. Smiles, MH
This is good advice, considering how things went for me last Sunday.
I found someone who had an apparent sudden rat problem due to the onset of winter weather and because her neighbor raised chickens, which can support rat populations.
So she called me over to check out the mtb that her husband hadn't used for years, so as to lighten the cost of what the junk haulers would charge to clear out the under-porch area.
So I went to get what turned out to be a Stumpjumper with Fox suspension including the Epic brain shock. It was indeed very dirty, and the rats had actually trimmed off the surface of the grips and part of the seat, attracted to salt I believe. There was more though, as her husband had an aluminum Specialized Allez from the 10s era, also in need of much cleaning.
But the fun was only starting, since there was also a self-propelled mower and an indoor gym that doesn't use weights but uses cables and your body weight. And there were four car batteries that yielded me a $40 gift certificate from the auto parts store. Fortunately this all fit into my long-bed Isuzu under the cap.
Now I have the mower running and the Stumpjumper Epic running, which I rode yesterday for an hour (still with the cut-down grips left shiny by the rodent's sharp teeth)!
The same applies to garage sales, always ask about any hidden bikes!
Likes For dddd:
Old 11-27-19, 03:57 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
...We have a rather transient population here in a college town and all sorts of bikes wind up orphans.
Indeed. My Masi was found abandoned in a Harvard dorm by one of the maintenance workers. It had been abused. One can image the stereotype rich kid Harvard student who didn't care, maybe didn't have room in his car when he moved out, and so left it behind. The guy who found it held onto it for maybe 30 years, apparently with intent to restore it. Then it went to someone else in return for a favor, and that guy eventually gave it to me. I restored it, though not to original spec.