Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Noisy Hydraulics Cause?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Noisy Hydraulics Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 02:10 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Noisy Hydraulics Cause?

Hey Guys,

Bike is a few weeks old. Discs has been tweaked already. They are 2010 Formula RX hydraulic disc brakes.

Front Brake (Hard stop): Brakes make a grinding sound (as if there were no pads installed) + squealing.

Rear Brake (Hard stop): Brakes make a sqealing sound.

Any ideas?

Last edited by WorldIRC; 04-24-10 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-24-10, 03:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Regardless of whether these are hydraulic or mechanical disc brakes, it sounds like grit imbedded in the pads. Sometimes it works itself out others you need to clean the pads.

Given the age of the bike I assume it's still under warranty, so let the folks at the LBS service both brakes, and have them give you a few care and sevice pointers for the future.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-26-10, 04:00 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Went to my LBS today. Both mechanics use the same model brakes and both complain of the same sounds...they've tried everything, and they believe its just how the Formula RX's are.

With that being said, we did use some rubbing alcohol on the rotors to clean them. I am hopeful my braking power will return soon.
Old 04-26-10, 04:18 PM
gbg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its all in the PADS!!!!!!!!
I had put some new metallic pads on my XTR M970 dual controls and were they CRAP!!!!!!!!!
They were so lousy I could hardly get my front forks to compress even a little when braking, and a death grip
on the front or back brakes would not lock the wheels. The last 3 feet of stopping produced a squeal that would
scare car drivers, and if they got wet they would SQUEAL constantly (I was embarrassed to ride it). I had no trouble on my XTR M960
set up so I thought maybe the 970's were the problem,I chamferred the edges of the pads and added no squeal compound to the back
IT DID NOT HELP.
As a last resort I bought XTR M07 resin pads, and they are a dream Super strong super quiet, a pleasure to ride.
If the advantage of metallic pads are they last longer, who the H*** would want to have crap brakes for twice as long.