Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 08:26 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11415 Post(s)
Liked 4,783 Times in 2,780 Posts
Dipped my toes back into the weight game after a pretty tough weekend of riding. I don't really need to walk, I guess.
Old 09-12-16, 04:29 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
FWIW I found that when I jumped from sea level to altitude races I needed to reduce my caffeine intake.
Noooooo...

Ex and HP - Thanks for the info. I'm bringing lotsa bottles.

Packing and shipping the bike today. $99 round trip via bikeflights.com. The bottles will fit in the bike box.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-12-16, 08:36 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked 2,484 Times in 1,459 Posts
In the mid 90s, I did a deal in La Paz, Bolivia - 11,913 feet above sea level. My attorney was with me and our goal was to close the transaction in a couple of days. We had a couple of deal points o negotiate.

During the negotiation, the next day, my attorney, at a key moment in the negotiation, says, he has to leave. We walk out of the room and he says, he cannot focus and go on any longer.

That evening, we were going out to dinner and I met him in his room. He had an oxygen tank and was breathing O2. We took turns on the O2 and laughed that it reminded us of Blue Velvet.

I could not dial the phone and sleep was difficult. Any exertion was impossible.

The indigenous people who lived there were short with large barrel chests.

The Bolivian economy is highly linked to cocaine. They put cocaine in everything - toothpaste, drinks and etc. And there is the Bolivian coca tea.

The locals said the tea was great for altitude sickness. We were all drinking the coca tea. All ended well and we moved the venue from La Paz to Cochabamba, Bolivia where we would do the formal signing on Bolivian television. Cochabamba was at 8400 feet and felt wonderful.

Our local partners told us that when they traveled to New York City, they could not stay away and would fall asleep in meetings.

So besides less or more O2 to breathe, elevation affects pressure and according to the Bolivians it is the dramatic changes in pressure along with changes in O2 content that cause the problems.

It is probably too late for a coca tea smuggling operation and it is illegal in the USA but not in Bolivia.

The key thing to remember about altitude is that it is extremely dehydrating and causes one to urinate more and for me, it is typically worse on the third day of exposure and then starts to get better.
Old 09-13-16, 10:11 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Dipped my toes back into the weight game after a pretty tough weekend of riding. I don't really need to walk, I guess.
This was me last week. Walking up and down the stairs was a little challenging.
Old 09-13-16, 12:13 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I did my first attempt at track standing starts this morning. Coach scheduled a workout centered around those. I used my road bike, big ring (50) and 15T cog for the gearing. I used a wooden road barrier for support while I was stopped, propping my shoulder against it as I stopped, and then standing and launching as I stood. It wasn't quite the classic 'at two seconds stand and rock', but for the first attempt, it was close. The cardio ramp-up (63 BPM to over 130BPM) and shoulder strain after each effort were pretty uncomfortable, but I'll adapt.

As Coach said, "welcome to the track"!
Old 09-13-16, 12:31 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
I did my first attempt at track standing starts this morning. Coach scheduled a workout centered around those. I used my road bike, big ring (50) and 15T cog for the gearing. I used a wooden road barrier for support while I was stopped, propping my shoulder against it as I stopped, and then standing and launching as I stood. It wasn't quite the classic 'at two seconds stand and rock', but for the first attempt, it was close. The cardio ramp-up (63 BPM to over 130BPM) and shoulder strain after each effort were pretty uncomfortable, but I'll adapt.

As Coach said, "welcome to the track"!
Kudos
Old 09-13-16, 12:32 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

5 1/4 miles ru**i*g
Will do some of those tree stand sits this evening
Old 09-13-16, 08:09 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Track workout this PM. There are many upsides to my new location but one is the proximity of the SD Velodrome and the policies and procedures to use the track. I got a late start and arrived at the track at 1:30 PM. I opened the gate and had the venue to myself. Contrast that with Hellyer that requires a specific time slot and session scheduled with a criteria for the session and a qualified supervisor to run the session - blah.

I did a 15 minute warm up with the standard accelerating pace. I followed that up with 2x100 meter jumps - one seated and one standing. Then I did two laps of accelerations standing and accelerating on the straights and spinning on the corners. That completed the warmup. I used 84.6 gear inches and a Power Tap rear wheel.

I switched to efforts and left the 84.6 on. Even though I am racing LAVRA at the end of the month, I did not want to generate too much fatigue in my legs or jack my back and or shoulders so I left the gearing easy versus to switching to race gears.

I did two efforts 1 on and two off and then did 1 on and 1 off for 10 minutes. I finished with two full power standing starts 1/4 lap. The technique for the start is a slow roll up to the 1/2 lap line and when the left foot reaches position, lunge forward with straight arms and go while going down track.

I left the velodrome and headed to the gym for legs. After some band walking, I did some deadlifts (easy weight) to warm up and then followed that with box jumping and leg press plus Roman Chair. The end was a long stretch and foam roll.

For you TSS hounds, my TSS was 86 for the track portion of the workout.
Old 09-14-16, 05:55 AM
IBOHUNT

@Hermes Wish there was one of those track things near here. Sounds like something I want to try
Old 09-14-16, 07:15 AM
IBOHUNT

2 hrs 30 min of TreeStand. Had 3 bald headed ones 18' straight down.

TSS 0.7
Old 09-14-16, 03:56 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

As @Hermes points out (and Coach has told me) there is a LOT of nuance to riding on the track. It's a different discipline, a different animal. I'm told adaption comes quickly. However, it seems to me that, using a standing start as an example, my only POV so far, you use much more of your body in an effort than you do on a road bike. Also, it's like a ****** sprint in that you go from resting to full tilt boogie in a matter of seconds, and you do it using a lot of your upper body, something you don't do when you're ******. Gym workouts are essential! @Hermes spends a lot of time in the gym. I understand why!
Old 09-14-16, 04:47 PM
IBOHUNT

As @Hermes points out (and Coach has told me) there is a LOT of nuance to riding on the track. It's a different discipline, a different animal. I'm told adaption comes quickly. However, it seems to me that, using a standing start as an example, my only POV so far, you use much more of your body in an effort than you do on a road bike. Also, it's like a ****** sprint in that you go from resting to full tilt boogie in a matter of seconds, and you do it using a lot of your upper body, something you don't do when you're ******. Gym workouts are essential! @Hermes spends a lot of time in the gym. I understand why!
Well YOU may be able to go from rest to full tilt boogie in a matter of seconds but I weigh like a Peterbuilt. I don't do full tilt boogie in seconds; more like get out the calendar...
Old 09-14-16, 05:01 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Well YOU may be able to go from rest to full tilt boogie in a matter of seconds but I weigh like a Peterbuilt. I don't do full tilt boogie in seconds; more like get out the calendar...
A Peterbilt? That means INERTIA! You'd be tough to stop (always a bright side)!
Old 09-14-16, 05:53 PM
IBOHUNT

A Peterbilt? That means INERTIA! You'd be tough to stop (always a bright side)!
Off topic but I'd like to reference the truck and dog incidents.. both stopped me abruptly although the truck was totaled so I got that going for me, which is nice. (Caddyshack kinda humuor)
Old 09-14-16, 07:41 PM
IBOHUNT

An hour in the gym and 5 miles of ru**i*g; and I use that term loosely...
Old 09-15-16, 11:26 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Rest day yesterday. I am into meditation sooooooo I went to the beach that is below my house and laid on the beach and did a full body scan with the wind and the surf as my background.

Later, I went to the gym and did yoga and foam rolling.

Old 09-15-16, 02:30 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@Hermes, I went to the velodrome forum and introduced myself. I'll be quiet and just read for now. I see a lot of familiar names there, that's comforting.

By the way, I've been procuring more "stuff" for the track bike. I now have a set of rollers, and I bought a set of Zipp Vuka Bull TT bars (40mm drop) for the TT events. Coach has explained what is necessary and good for TT events on the track, and why. I understand the need for dropped base bars and flat grips (like the Shimano Pro Missile), but I needed to stay withing a budget, so I went with a pair of used Zipps.

Esparto TT this weekend. 18 miles. I've said that, haven't I? I might jump into a cross race on Sunday, which I have not trained for, but I might as well call it a training "race". "Because, you know, 'cross"

Old 09-15-16, 06:03 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Did a little bit of riding over the weekend, my MTB brake master cylinder had an issue so it's in the shop being worked on. Mentally farted around with riding this week, kept finding other things to do. Have a pretty well informed source indicating they are going to have a "do over" for the rained out team and other events from track nats in November. Put it on the calendar, counted backwards, and decided to take a few more days off, then start the track prep process.

Again.

It's going to be close to a 12 month season without a break, with 3 "nationals".

That's a long season.

I was asked what my goals were for 2017.

My reply was "nap/rest/beach"
Old 09-15-16, 06:07 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Track workout today. I met a racer and his coach. The racer is going for the hour record at Carson this Sunday. It should be glorious. The coach was a great guy who is a certified motor pacer at SD. So I hooked up with him for motor work after the SD repair is over. Work at SD starts over the weekend.

Workout was similar to Tuesday but did efforts with another racer. We did one on and three off taking turns leading out. The wind was similar to Tuesday.
Old 09-15-16, 06:44 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
So Hermes days now consist of riding his fixed gear, going to the gym to work out, meditating on rocks over looking the ocean, checking out the local nude beach, and writing 500 word essays on the virtues of Bolivian nose candy.

I'm guessing a tantric high colonic and Nick Nolte mug shot are all he needs to go completely SoCal

I did convertible intervals with Ridley today. The dog loves her some rag top. Kinda gets snooty with dogs in pickups though.

"Why it's a SHAME your people cannot afford these lovely leather seats" Turns up the stereo when they bark back. Told her the top down days are numbered, starting to see the aspens changing color.
Old 09-15-16, 06:59 PM
revchuck 
OMC

I'm looking forward to seeing the leaves change in Utah. In Louisiana, the leaves just kind of go from green to dry and green to dry and brown and then fall.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-15-16, 07:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Tea tea tea...Bolivian tea. Where did you get your THC done? I might be willing to make the drive to the valley. I do not need your referral for the mug shot though.
Old 09-16-16, 06:30 AM
IBOHUNT

an hour in the gym, 6.5 miles of ru**i*g and then 2 1/2 hours of Tree Stand Sitting (TSS?)
Old 09-16-16, 07:29 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Any results from the treestand?

I've been tapering this week in preparation for Utah. I was supposed to do a 45-minute recovery ride today and just couldn't do another one of those, so I did an hour of Z2. I'm such a rebel. Funny how I have to train to prepare to train for a goal.

One of the climbs we'll be doing is the one in the middle of this ride. It mimics my goal climb pretty well. My coach did it a few days ago to remind herself that she can do it and that it hurts. Of course, she did it in the 39-25 and I'm hoping I can do it in the 34-32. Friggin' young skinny-ass climbers!

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-17-16, 11:48 AM
IBOHUNT

Originally Posted by revchuck
Any results from the treestand?

I've been tapering this week in preparation for Utah. I was supposed to do a 45-minute recovery ride today and just couldn't do another one of those, so I did an hour of Z2. I'm such a rebel. Funny how I have to train to prepare to train for a goal.

One of the climbs we'll be doing is the one in the middle of this ride. It mimics my goal climb pretty well. My coach did it a few days ago to remind herself that she can do it and that it hurts. Of course, she did it in the 39-25 and I'm hoping I can do it in the 34-32. Friggin' young skinny-ass climbers!
30 couple miles in she throws a 700' in a mile at you
I'm guess the last climb of 1350' or so over 7 miles you'll be a bit cranky... see what I done there?

Nothing to report being harvested. Had fun filming the 3 bald headed ones then 3 nice bucks on Thursday night. They ain't tassling yet but you can tell they are getting ready t throw down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.