Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

I've Got A Rocket In My Pocket...

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

I've Got A Rocket In My Pocket...

Old 10-23-19, 10:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
A little late now, but as far as I can tell, you can buy a brand new bare frame.

https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2334

Then make the plunge down your rabbit hole!!!

Ahhh, so yours was old, but in great shape. NOS?

Last edited by CliffordK; 10-23-19 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-24-19, 12:00 AM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
A little late now, but as far as I can tell, you can buy a brand new bare frame.

https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2334

Then make the plunge down your rabbit hole!!!

Ahhh, so yours was old, but in great shape. NOS?
Hi Clifford,
It's a strange story, I found this Pocket Rocket in good cosmetic shape, the fit could not be better, but on the down hill slope as far as mechanical condition and I got it for a good price the thought was fix it and enjoy the ride. that idea lasted about an hour... as I started ordering parts almost immediately as the bike was telling me it wanted to be a sportive of some sorts. I have always liked the idea of a Bike Friday as I travel a bit for work and I'm also thinking of doing the rail pass thing with some camping thrown in for good measure, so the standard Pocket Rocket works better for me than the "Pro" model although lighter lacks most of the braze ons for racks. I will be happy if this bike comes in at under 20 lbs.
For me building is almost as fun as riding. The Dura Ace 7703/7803 triples are so sweet that this is the second bike I have built with this kit, the first is a Raleigh Professional updated with all 7703 9 speed Dura Ace, its light and a lot of fun. My third bike is a Bob Jackson World Tour/gravel grinder/ bike truck, that is Campy/Shimano/Sram semi compact 9 speed driveline stew that works pretty well. Yep I build strange stuff.

: Mike
Old 10-24-19, 06:08 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 187 Posts
Very nice! Did you have a few extra spokes made just in case? If it's a non-standard length, I'd want them for emergencies.
Old 10-24-19, 09:52 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Very nice! Did you have a few extra spokes made just in case? If it's a non-standard length, I'd want them for emergencies.
Hi Bargainguy,
I didn't get any spare spokes, early in my relationship with Jet Bicycle wheels the advice received was, zip tie the spoke out of the way and keep riding, drop the wheel off at the shop and repairs and truing will be made at no cost for as long as I own the wheelset. Charles owns the shop and performs all the work and is very well regarded by a lot of fast guys here in San Diego.
Wheel lacing is one of those things I don't do, I understand the process and the materials well enough to determine hubs, rims, and spoke count for my weight and planed usage, Charles has complete control over spokes, nipples, and lacing to make the combination reliable, my choices are silver or black.
As I age (I turn 64 in December) I enjoy bicycling more and more, as a younger man bicycles were just a training tool used for motorcycle racing, there was a direct correlation with how long I could ride a bicycle at 90+% effort to how long I could ride a 55 horsepower, 240 pound racing motorcycle at 90+% effort, the magic number was 35 minutes, there were a lot of guys faster than me, some would start to fade at about the 20 minute mark, passing those guys was not a problem, I raced motocross from age 16 to 38 at a amature level.
So as a bicycle guy I lack street cred as I ride mostly in cargo shorts, sneakers, and old motorcycle tee shirts, however the training bug is back and I'm trying to work my endurance back up to something respectable, I don't care how fast I go, just how long I can keep it up.
This sure is a off topic post, I hope nobody minds.

Me and the KTM LC4 in 1989.

Best Wishes: Mike
Old 10-25-19, 04:16 PM
Jarlybart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike and looks to be a fun project as well. We look forward to your trip reports coming.
Old 11-15-19, 12:14 AM
Nemosengineer 

Hong Kong came through with a NOS Dura Ace 7703 118.5mm Octalink bottom bracket... WOOT. Here it is the last piece of the upgrade puzzle

While I was waiting for the bottom bracket I grabbed another set of pedals, MKS Sylvan Road Next Ezy Superior, outfitted with NJS Keirin straps and MKS alloy toe clips. It's a nice setup as they work well with running shoes for wandering around the town.

With parts in hand next up will be the build, I'm excited!!!

Old 11-15-19, 06:15 PM
Nemosengineer 

A modest start, the steering stem got three coats of black epoxy paint and was assembled today, the spurcycle bell was mounted along with the NiteRider headlight, attached with assorted bits from Paul and K-Edge. This makes it a easy one bolt swap back to a conventional stem cap.

And the on bike waterproof storage solution, a Topeak medium wedge bag with lighting by NiteRider.

Old 11-25-19, 12:52 AM
Nemosengineer 

There comes a time when you just have to stop and clean up the shop. It's amazing how much crap I've collected and it's time to sort it all out... So I will be starting the overhaul on the Pocket Rocket after the shop is done.
It's not all work as I did get out on the big bike today.

Best Wishes To All: Mike
Likes For Nemosengineer: