Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

U.S. BMX retail giant Dan’s Comp sells to new owner [site down]

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-19, 02:04 PM
PeaceByJesus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

According to the statement issued by AMain.com, the aim is to restructure the business having bought certain assets and move the warehousing to both California and North Carolina to better serve the market with faster delivery. Orders will now be taken seven days a week and will reach 90% of customers inside three days. Previously the business operated out of Indiana...

All current customers of Dan’s will be enrolled through 2020 as Platinum members in Dan’s VIP program to receive rush order processing, extended return windows and the highest level of rewards. Any customer reported to have an unfulfilled order as of October 5, 2019 will be issued store credit to be used on any of AMain’s family of sites or in one of their retail locations. - https://cyclingindustry.news/u-s-bmx...-to-new-owner/

Thought some would be interested. I know no more on this than what is posted, except that AMain.com, the parent company of Performance Bike, Bike Nashbar and AMain Cycling. Site is still down as of today 10-11-19 https://www.danscomp.com

Last edited by PeaceByJesus; 10-11-19 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-11-19, 03:23 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
purchased quite a bit from dan's camp over the years. won't be shopping there anymore. amain is the same crappy company that purchased the performance bike and nashbar name. time to peel off the dan's comp stickers i have plastered on stuff in the garage...RIP
Old 10-11-19, 05:58 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
purchased quite a bit from dan's camp over the years. won't be shopping there anymore. amain is the same crappy company that purchased the performance bike and nashbar name. time to peel off the dan's comp stickers i have plastered on stuff in the garage...RIP
Unfortunately I think you are correct in your thoughts
Old 10-12-19, 12:37 AM
TaintedRide

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why are you acting as though Amain put Performance bike, Nashbar, danscomp etc out of business? These companies filed bankruptcy and Amain is purchasing them to keep them alive.

If you want to peel your stickers off then go for it but it's mainly just a waste of your time.
Likes For TaintedRide:
Old 10-12-19, 05:49 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by TaintedRide
Why are you acting as though Amain put Performance bike, Nashbar, danscomp etc out of business? These companies filed bankruptcy and Amain is purchasing them to keep them alive.

If you want to peel your stickers off then go for it but it's mainly just a waste of your time.
I liked Nashbar and what they offered. It’s sad that they did not stay open. Amain keeps the Nashbar website but they do not sell most of the products that Nashbar offered.

So so the way I see it I’m not buying anything from them anymore.
Old 10-12-19, 07:36 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
time to peel off the dan's comp stickers i have plastered on stuff in the garage...RIP
Why bother? Just remember them as they were, and buy from someone else going forward.
Old 10-12-19, 07:41 AM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Please be cautious when dealing with a company in this situation.

I have a little story (completely unrelated to bikes):

There was a high-end car audio store in my city. One day the store was closed and plastered with newspaper so nobody could look in. A sign on the front door said something to the effect, "Upgrading the store to better suit you. Your orders will be available in 2 weeks. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

After two weeks they had fled. I'm thinking they had taken as many orders as they could and left customers hanging so they could make a little extra money before closing. It was all too obvious in the end that they had intentionally made the retreat a secret.

In times like this companies can be very unstable, and not all have good intentions when they have nothing to lose.

Last edited by bedtime; 10-12-19 at 08:03 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-12-19, 07:58 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by bedtime
Please be cautious if when dealing with a company in this situation.

I have a little story (completely unrelated to bikes):

There was a high-end car audio store in my city. One day the store was closed and plastered with newspaper so nobody could look in. A sign on the front door said something to the effect, "Upgrading the store to better suit you. Your orders will be available in 2 weeks. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

After two weeks they had fled. I'm thinking they had taken as many orders as they could and left customers hanging so they could make a little extra money before closing. It was all too obvious in the end that they had intentionally made the retreat a secret.

In times like this companies can be very unstable, and not all have good intentions when they have nothing to lose.
I agree completely. If things look iffy, there are plenty of other options out there. Paying with a credit card basically eliminates the risk as you can always dispute the charge. But who needs the trouble?
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 10-12-19, 08:45 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I bought a new bike from Amain a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed by the customer rep I dealt with, and it was probably the fastest shipping I've seen other than Amazon Prime (ordered on Thurs, delivered on Sat).

I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
Old 10-12-19, 01:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by bedtime
Please be cautious when dealing with a company in this situation.
I'm what situation?

Your scenario is nothing like Amain buying the nashbar and performance brand names.
Old 02-05-20, 11:58 AM
kendallb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi there, this is Kendall, CEO and co-founder for AMain. I ran across this forum post so I thought I would jump in here and let you guys know that we are committed to growing Performance Bike, Nashbar and Dan's Comp and providing top notch customer service for our customers. I realize many in the bike industry do not know who we are, as we only started AMain Cycling back in 2015 when we bought one of the local bike shops here in Chico, CA. All or of eCommerce expertise comes from building ourselves up from the garage of my wife and I in 2004, into the #1 online store for radio controlled cars in the USA. We started from nothing and built the business into what it is today, so we are not some faceless corporation either. We are real people following the dream. No matter what history Nashbar, Performance or Dan's Comp might have had before they went under, it won't reflect on how we conduct business moving forward because we will always do things the way we do business, which has been very successful for us over the last 16 years.

There was someone else posting that we don't have all the inventory that the old sites had, and that is certainly true because we are rebuilding from the ground up. All three of the businesses went bankrupt so what we purchased was the branding assets and small amounts of inventory. The rest was all liquidated by the owners or the banks so was not something we took over. But over time we are adding back more and more inventory, and are happy to hear from customers on what things we might be missing and what you might like to see.

If you have questions feel free to post them here and I will try to reply, or you can reach out to our customer service folks via phone, email or live chat.
Old 02-06-20, 11:23 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by kendallb
Hi there, this is Kendall, CEO and co-founder for AMain. I ran across this forum post so I thought I would jump in here and let you guys know that we are committed to growing Performance Bike, Nashbar and Dan's Comp and providing top notch customer service for our customers. I realize many in the bike industry do not know who we are, as we only started AMain Cycling back in 2015 when we bought one of the local bike shops here in Chico, CA. All or of eCommerce expertise comes from building ourselves up from the garage of my wife and I in 2004, into the #1 online store for radio controlled cars in the USA. We started from nothing and built the business into what it is today, so we are not some faceless corporation either. We are real people following the dream. No matter what history Nashbar, Performance or Dan's Comp might have had before they went under, it won't reflect on how we conduct business moving forward because we will always do things the way we do business, which has been very successful for us over the last 16 years.

There was someone else posting that we don't have all the inventory that the old sites had, and that is certainly true because we are rebuilding from the ground up. All three of the businesses went bankrupt so what we purchased was the branding assets and small amounts of inventory. The rest was all liquidated by the owners or the banks so was not something we took over. But over time we are adding back more and more inventory, and are happy to hear from customers on what things we might be missing and what you might like to see.

If you have questions feel free to post them here and I will try to reply, or you can reach out to our customer service folks via phone, email or live chat.
I've bought from Amain years ago, great experience and know where to look when I decide to jump back into RC. I've bought from Performance and Nashbar over the years, last year I ordered some tires of Performance's website, and they were delivered in Amazon Prime sort of time. Faster than I expected. I look forward to working with you guys!!!
Old 02-06-20, 11:25 AM
kendallb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zjrog
I've bought from Amain years ago, great experience and know where to look when I decide to jump back into RC. I've bought from Performance and Nashbar over the years, last year I ordered some tires of Performance's website, and they were delivered in Amazon Prime sort of time. Faster than I expected. I look forward to working with you guys!!!
Thanks! Part of the reason our shipping is faster now is we just opened up our new distribution center in Charlotte, NC. With that location and our existing location in Chico, CA, we are able to ship to something like 95% of the population in 2 days or less via UPS ground. That makes a big difference to all our of customers on the east coast or in the mid west. We are still ramping up the inventory in Charlotte and the bike inventory is still getting increased all the time so shipping times will get better as we land more inventory in the new east coast location.
Likes For kendallb:
Old 02-06-20, 02:09 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Are you going to be selling spokes...the old Dans did a great job with custom length spokes at a very competitive price. It’s the main reason I used them over other BMX online stores.
Old 02-06-20, 02:15 PM
kendallb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Are you going to be selling spokes...the old Dans did a great job with custom length spokes at a very competitive price. It’s the main reason I used them over other BMX online stores.
Yes, we are going to be selling spokes and working on building wheels again. We already have a wheel builder and are in the process of sorting through all the spoke inventory we got from Dan's. Unfortunately they did not catalog them by length at all, so it's been quite a task sorting them all out and getting it all correctly cataloged so we can have it all properly listed on our site. Kevin was talking to me just last week about finding a way to get that done efficiently, so hopefully it will not be long.
Old 02-06-20, 02:26 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Sounds great!...thanks for the info.
Old 02-10-20, 11:06 AM
PeaceByJesus

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kendallb
Hi there, this is Kendall, CEO and co-founder for AMain. I ran across this forum post so I thought I would jump in here and let you guys know that we are committed to growing Performance Bike, Nashbar and Dan's Comp and providing top notch customer service for our customers...
Thanks for responding. We have bought many parts from the old Niagara Cycle (until they went belly-up and became the Bike Shop and raised prices) as well as a few Nashbar and from Dan's Comp and some other sources. I shop around and mainly want inexpensive basic parts and have found some very good or just good sales (like as described here ) and even some 20x2.125 tires for under 10.00 last year, and some $2.00 tubes for the same (the latter at https://blueskycycling.com), for charity work I am able to do at 67 (thanks be to God), so I will be looking to see how you compare with others this year.

How have or will the tariffs and now the coronavirus effect the bicycle part business?

Last edited by PeaceByJesus; 02-10-20 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 01:38 PM
kendallb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We try to keep our prices competitive where we can. The tariffs have had an impact, but not sure if the Coronavirus is going to have an immediate impact as most of the product is already in the channel. If it gets worse, it could cause more problems later in the year. China is a huge country to not all of the product comes from the affected areas, as some of our RC suppliers have let us know they are not currently affected.