Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

B****e Carve and Curve

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

B****e Carve and Curve

Old 07-29-19, 02:42 PM
elizilla 
Awkward Rider

Bikes: Small fleet of e-trikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Bab boe Carve and Curve

I have found a cargo trike that intrigues me, but I am having a super hard time finding info about it. It is called the B****e Carve. But apparently this company's name is a bad word in someone's dictionary; everywhere on forums the name is replaced with stars. I'm going to try different ways to type it, in hopes of getting it across.

B_A_B_B_O_E
Ba bboe
Bab boe

I hope this isn't getting me banned from the forum.

This is further complicated by the fact this company makes a model called the Curve and another model called the Carve. The one I like is the Carve but most searches take me to the Curve.

The thing I like is that it is a leaning cargo trike, but it has a switch to disable the leaning functionality. The thing I want to know, is how this works? I'm not trying to get a diagram to copy their engineering. I just want to know, broadly, how it works in action. Does it take much strength to move that lever? Can it be switched on and/or off while in motion? Can you ride it with the front end locked in place? Stop the lean in a position that's not perfectly upright?

The other thing I want to know, is if there is anyone selling them in the USA. I'm keen enough to travel domestically to see some cool cargo bikes and trikes, but not keen enough to order multiple machines from another continent, site unseen.

Anyone here have one?

Thanks!

Last edited by elizilla; 07-29-19 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Get my title past the filter.
Old 07-30-19, 01:00 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
This video shows the B****e Carve's leaning lock and release lever mechanism being used at time mark 1 minute 08 seconds and this video also shows the leaning lock mechanism being engaged and disengaged also at the 1 minute 08 seconds time mark.

I rode one at the ICBF in Groningen last month.

The locking mechanism is really for loading and unloading only to keep the body level while you are distributing the load evenly or strapping children in.

You can ride with the lean locked out but it feels weird because your body naturally wants to lean into the corners. This is because of the Ackerman steering set up, which is far superior to the parallel wheel set up found on mule/donkey trikes which does nothing but scrub out tyres and waste energy.

It is not recommended that you switch between the two when riding as it is a cable operated spring loaded pin and locating hole set up that requires no more effort than pulling on a bicycle brake lever.

Last edited by Gareth; 07-30-19 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 07:37 AM
elizilla 
Awkward Rider

Bikes: Small fleet of e-trikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks Gareth. The reason I am interested in how the leaning lock works, is that I would like to lean, and my balance is good. But due to disability, I can't hold a leaning bike up at a stop. The box isn't really what I am after, though I like it - it could be used to carry arm crutches or a walker.

People keep recommending recumbent trikes but they don't lean either; you just compensate by keeping the center of gravity low. And they're hard for me to get up from. So machines like this Carve attract my attention.