Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

My new GenZe 102 e bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

My new GenZe 102 e bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-19, 10:07 PM
PreacherG

Bikes: GenZe 102 e bike, 70'S Moosburg 3 sp touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smile My new GenZe 102 e bike

After this great forum answered MANY questions for me, I settled on a GenZe 102 e bike. Thanks to Dewey101 for making me aware these bikes existed! My bike arrived today.

ASSEMBLY The bike came basically assembled. It took half an hour to unbox, review the instructions, attach the front tire, check the battery (it was fully charged), verify brake adjustments (they were fine) and be ready for a ride. Now the fenders that were ordered separately were a completely different story!

FIRST RIDE In a word, WOW! It is as advertised. I WILL still get exercise on this, but it also allows me to ride again. Because of health issues, I have not ridden a bike in over 25 years.

WHY I CHOSE GENZE Like most folks, I wanted a $3000 e bike, but only wanted to pay $500 for it. After your help here, my required list included rear or mid motor, at least 300W motor, at least 36V battery, disc brakes with motor shutoff, at least 5 PAS levels, throttle control, multi speed for normal operation and nice looking. Other things like ergo grips, LED display with speed and odometer, lights and a LOUD horn were desired, but easily added. GenZe met all of my must haves and some of the desired. They make bikes for "fleet rental" use, so the frame appeared more heavy duty. SOME components were upgraded from entry level.
These bikes sell for $1800 new, BUT they offer "Nearly New" bikes as well. These have been involved in minor skirmishes with the road, so they have minor to moderate scratches. They are refurbished and pictures document the specific blemishes. You choose a specific bike. Price varies based on mileage on the bike, amount of damage, specific model and phase of the moon. Prices run from $499 to $799 as of December 2019.

My first ride was ¼ mile on gravel on the farm road next door. That is not enough to say much, but I am looking forward to more, longer rides and I will report back.
Old 12-05-19, 10:16 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Congrats and Enjoy!!!
Old 12-05-19, 01:03 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Enjoy!
Old 12-06-19, 07:31 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Glad the assembly went smoothly, it’s a relief when out of the box you turn it on and have power. So you went with the step through model, I appreciate the convenience of a step through. How are the brakes?
Old 12-06-19, 11:52 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The brakes seemed properly adjusted out of the box. Again, I have not ridden in 25 years, and these are my first disc brakes. They seem to stop quietly (no squeaks), predictably and with reasonable brake handle pressure. Much better than old caliper brakes!

I did not realize how far out of shape I am! So far, I've had two rides for a total of 0.8 miles. I sure hope my balance gets better FAST!
I did get up to 17.6 mph on a flat stretch on throttle only.

Thanks to your comments on batteries, I did get the gen 2 battery.

Still happy!
Likes For PreacherG:
Old 12-07-19, 06:22 PM
Doc_Wui

Go for a longer ride this weekend! See if the battery hold up.

Predicted high of 59F for 12/8/2018 in Paducah, KY? Wish we had that here. It was a high of 39F. I did ride today. Everything warm except fingers,After an hour, it really felt cold,
Old 12-07-19, 11:28 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would LOVE to go for a long ride! My issue is I have chronic Lyme Disease. My balance is bad enough that I am relearning how to ride to some extent. My energy levels are poor. So far, I have taken three rides, each a bit longer. A mile is all I can handle right now, but I am working on getting better! I truly believe the bike will help.
Old 12-08-19, 12:48 AM
Doc_Wui

Best of luck to you then. I'm sure you will improve in stamina!
Old 12-08-19, 04:54 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
DW, you might try Specialized "cold weather" gloves; haven't checked what they are offering now, but mine, a thick inner glove and outer mitt that I got about five years ago, have kept my hands toasty in freezing temperatures.
Old 12-08-19, 06:57 PM
udougu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want one of these so badly!
Old 02-26-20, 08:52 PM
PreacherG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have finally got in enough rides to give a first impression of the GenZe

It has 3 modes PAS off, pedal away! PAS off use throttle. Pedaling not of value in throttle mode. PAS on Throttle inoperable in PAS. Pedaling REQUIRED. If you stop pedaling, motor goes off. There is too much drag in PAS mode to coast on flat road.

At first, in PAS, I had no problem with hills, but all that pedaling, even with little resistance was wearing me to a frazzle quickly (I said I was out of shape!) In later rides, I have used the throttle / pedal mode. The bike seems to coast better with PAS off. On the flat road, the throttle or PAS will run 18 - 19 mph. on a moderate hill, throttle runs about 9.8 mph. PAS runs a bit faster, but requires pedaling.

I have not ridden too far, but the 20 miles on battery seems reasonable. I just charged the battery for the first time, and it was at 38% per the display. An hour charge added about 30% charge.

Disc brakes are very solid and smooth. I have no doubt I could lock the front tire and flip myself, but the "feel" in the brakes makes this very unlikely.

7 speed gears fit the range of the e bike well. Shift smoothly. Good display of gear on the shifter.

My biggest complaint - it has a bell fit for a kid's bike. No horn.

All in all, I really like the bike. It will allow me to get out when we go camping. I am almost done refurbing my DW 40 YO 3 speed cruiser. I suspect after a summer of riding together, she will want an e bike for Christmas!
Old 02-26-20, 10:25 PM
Dewey101

I finally got to ride a Genze 200 last week. In Washington DC a new European Bikeshare company Helbiz are deploying a small fleet of them https://wtop.com/business-finance/20...it-dc-streets/

The bikes are slightly modified for commercial use with no throttle and no way to change the PAS level so full power all the time. The 8-speed thumb microshifters took a little getting used to, but the motor was strong.
Old 06-14-20, 03:32 PM
Dewey101

Darn it, Genze are shutting their US operation https://electrek.co/2020/06/14/genze...de-in-america/