Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which Bike to Convert

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Which Bike to Convert

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 08:46 PM
MN Bianchi

Bikes: Bianchi 928 C2C, Bianchi San Remo, Specialize Allez, Schwinn High Sierra, Cannondale Prophet 1000 Lefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Bike to Convert

I am considering an E-Bike kit from BafangUSAdirect. I have a number of options for which bike to convert.

Choices are:
Specialized Diverge gravel bike
Salsa Merrikesh touring bike.
Specialized 29 er Mt bike
or maybe my Specialized carbon Fat Boy

Most of my riding will be on the road.

Thoughts on which bike I should start with?
Old 03-25-20, 10:30 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Okay ... thoughts... hmm. Some of those bikes on your short list are over $2G. You are not going to find a motor and battery for less than $1G if you are doing it right. With a $3G budget this is the bike I would buy. Most dealers have knocked $500 off the MSRP. Or maybe this one? Most of the $3G to $5G turn-key electrics start with bike platforms that would retail for or under a Grand. Some things might get a boost like brakes and clearance for 2.4" rubber and wheelbases in the 1,150+ range seems common. I'm working on a similar project. In another thread I listed my short list choices. All of them list for or are on sale for $699 retail. I hope the Bafang you are getting is a mid-drive. It would be a shame to buy a decent level of touring or gravel bike and then kill the handling with a hub motor. Just for you, since I see you have good taste about these things, here is an honorable mention pick for donor bike. Nice right? Best of all it comes as a $525 frame only if you want. It can take the biggest rubber you can find and it has a fairly long wheelbase but the Breezer Midtown has a wheelbase as long or longer than some of the factory electrics and the Breezer can fit 2.4" tires which we will need since we are going sans suspension. Them's me thoughts.
Old 03-26-20, 12:38 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
You didn't indicate whether the kit is hub-based or mid-drive and the nature of the terrain, that is hilly or not. In any event, I would dismiss the fat bike for road riding. The high Sierra (I have one converted with a 1000w, 48V rear hub system and it's a splendid errand bike) would be a good choice if it's comfortable; the fact that you won't be as aerodynamic as with a road bike isn't much of a problem with a motor.