Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide between two Cannondale Topstones

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 11:06 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I have the budget for the Ultegra version but I'm not sure I would appreciate the upgrades vs the 105 version. It's about a $1500 CAD upcharge. I'm basically looking for an all-around road and gravel bike. Something I can take on multi-day backpacking trips, ride with friends on paved roads and trails and run the occasional mixed-surface event.

The groupset itself doesn't really matter to me. I find the 105 to be perfectly acceptable. But, I'm not sure about the carbon fibre wheels (vs. alloy), Hollogram crank (vs. Cannondale1) and the BB30 bottom bracket (vs. PressFit30). Am I going to get a big benefit out of any of the above during my intended uses?

The PressFit30 is pressed first into a housing and then into the frame whereas the BB30 is pressed directly into the frame. Does that have any implication on future serviceability?
Old 03-06-20, 01:01 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I would go for the Ultegra version (I'm assuming it's the Ultegra RX, not the Ultegra RX 2)...the crank and wheels are worth the price difference on their own. Plus you get a clutched rear derailleur, in the RX.
Keep in mind that the Topstone using the weird AI dishing on the back wheel. So, if you go with the alloy wheels and want to upgrade later, you'll have to have them re-dished.

BB wise...Cannondale has the most asinine/confusing labeling on the planet, so I'll let someone more familiar chim in. But, the frame is the same on both models, so it should (in theory, at least) be able to except wither bottom bracket.
Old 03-06-20, 01:28 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
I would go for the Ultegra version (I'm assuming it's the Ultegra RX, not the Ultegra RX 2)...the crank and wheels are worth the price difference on their own. Plus you get a clutched rear derailleur, in the RX.
Keep in mind that the Topstone using the weird AI dishing on the back wheel. So, if you go with the alloy wheels and want to upgrade later, you'll have to have them re-dished.

BB wise...Cannondale has the most asinine/confusing labeling on the planet, so I'll let someone more familiar chim in. But, the frame is the same on both models, so it should (in theory, at least) be able to except wither bottom bracket.
Thanks for the feedback and reminder of the dishing. I have a set of 650b wheels I want to use with the topstone and I'll have to re-dish.
Old 03-08-20, 10:18 AM
evan the cdn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35

Does the alloy version of the Topstone use the AI dishing too or just the carbon?
Old 03-08-20, 11:14 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by evan the cdn
Does the alloy version of the Topstone use the AI dishing too or just the carbon?
Just the carbon
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 03-31-20, 10:31 AM
grannygears

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Gravel Bike

Not trying to flip your decision on its head and I'm sure you would be very happy with the Cannondale Topstone. I too was in the same boat and located in Canada also. Do yourself a favor and look at the Norco Search XR, I just got the Norco Search XR A1 for $2100 plus tax! That's a great price for a bike loaded with GRX 800 components. At least have a look on the website before you pull the trigger. Best of luck to you!
Old 03-31-20, 11:18 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Let me preface this with a caveat: I'm a Cannondale fanboy. But they've really lost me lately with their offerings. The unnecessary proprietary standards they keep pushing out is maddening. My riding buddy has the Ultegra Carbon Topstone and his BB is already creaking bad. I wouldn't trust that on a multiday bikepacking trip. Also the tire clearance is nowhere near up to modern standards. Now don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic bike, but it just seems like it will be an expensive headache.