Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bike size for my 6'2" son?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 07:28 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts

My son started a new job in Washington DC the day Trump announced the National Emergency. He's in a new apartment in a new city and has a bike path right outside his apartment building. He's going on 25 yrs old 6'2" tall, 200 pounds, 4 yr baseball player in college, powerlifter, body builder, athletic trainer certified.
The Bikesdirect Motobecane Mirage is about as basic a road bike as we can find and the price is right. I've only experience with traditional flat toptube classic bikes. If I were to recommend a size to him for that type of bike I would say a 63cm/25" frame. But on this Moto Mirage with sloping top tube I am a bit stumped. Should he get a 58 or 60cm frame? Leaning toward 60cm or is that too big? He's long legged, long arms, very athletic. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-27-20, 07:50 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I’m 6’2”, I am not particularly long legged, wear 32” inseam. I ride a 58cm Specialized Roubaix and a 59cm Niner RLT RDO. It’s about reach as well as legs. I tried a 56cm Niner before buying the 59. I could make that fit too but had toe strike with the front wheel that I did not care for. The 58 fits me great, so does the 59 though I am going to get a slightly shorter stem at some point. It’s not way off, I’ve ridden the bike about 7000 miles so far.
Old 03-27-20, 08:32 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My son wears 34" pants but are fashionably short at about his ankle. So his inseam is probably 36". 58cm may be to small. My concern is reach. 60cm boke has a 59cm effective too tube length, coupled with 110mm stem, thats a good amount of reach.
Old 03-27-20, 05:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Depends on the bike manufacturer too. So generic rules of thumb for sizing might not get him the best size. I'd go with what the manufacturer recommends for sizing and then try a size up and down if he can test ride them. If no test ride, then what the mfr, suggest.

Some only go by height alone and I'd be skeptical but still go with that if I had no way to try them first. Some go by inseam, height and arm length, those I'd trust more for any bike you can't ride first for five or ten miles.

Geometries can make a 58 in one manufacturer not anything like a 58 of another.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-27-20 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-31-20, 07:51 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Sizes will vary from a manufacturer to another. At 6'2'', he will need a Large or a X Large (not sure what it means in terms of CM).

Every manufaturer has a sizing chart; find it and follow it. You will be fine
Old 04-01-20, 05:49 PM
duckhuntr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The headtube is fairly long on the mirage so I'd say go with the 58cm. I prefer frames slightly on the small size and loathe frames that are even slightly too large. Maybe he needs a gravel bike like the Motobecane GravelX2 which has eyelets for racks and luggage. He could ride along the C&O canal trail below Georgetown all the way out to beautiful rural Harper's Ferry. It's a fine and safe ride along the lovely Potomac River.

Edit: Just noticed that model only has a seven speed cassette. A nine speed would be ideal but eight is acceptable. Check out the Motobecane GravelXPRO.

Last edited by duckhuntr; 04-01-20 at 06:10 PM.