Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Electric bike kit. 20" wheels

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-20, 04:29 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts

I have a folding bike I would like to put a motor kit on. It has an IHG on the rear so I am guessing a front wheel motor would be necessary. Does anyone know of a kit that works for someone? Have you ridden it? TIA Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 04-01-20, 07:29 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
There are companies making kits for folding bikes (look at ebikesca), but they may be too specific.
Old 04-02-20, 09:40 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Ebikes.ca is too expensive for me, but you probably get good support for your tech issues. I've motorized four 20" bikes. Three rear wheel and 1 front. Ala carte, meaning I bought motor, rim, spokes, and electric parts separately. I spend about $250 for that. There are kits on amazon for the same price, but I have no experience with them. If I were in the UK, I'd consider the Swytch kit.

With a 36V battery. a 20" geared motor/wheel will max out around 20 mph, more than enough for a folder. I don't see my 4.5 pound motor on my front drive affecting the ride much, but I don't often ride on bumpy streets. A front drive might slip occasionally on wet leaves or sandy patches going uphill. You should not put front motor on a suspension fork, and aluminum forks should be avoided. However, mine is aluminum, but I use torque arms and it's only a 350W motor.

Locating a battery on a folder can be difficult, especially if you need it to fold. We only fold our folders rarely for transport in a car, and the battery comes off anyway. We've opted for small 36V batteries, from 8AH to 10AH. Good for 30 miles. Longer rides, we carry spares.

Rear drive & Front drive. Motor is a BMSBattery Q100H.
Old 04-25-20, 02:56 PM
Bluesfrog

I have looked at a Swytch Kit. They won't say what the price is. Kind of makes this look like a overpriced unit. As I have a low tolerance for salesmansh*% tricks I am looking elsewhere. But want to keep an open mind. Will look at one of the test channels again to see if a price range is given. Does anyone have experience with them? I have asked them and they said I could get their kit for a 20" Brompton, they were out now and making more kits up, and were quite coy about not telling me the cost. That's why I may go with a Grin kit from Canada instead. But as said earlier they are high priced. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 04-25-20, 05:19 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Bike Friday uses the Grin system on their bikes - well tested, well designed, excellent support. And you can fly with their batteries if that matters to you. Also, with the modular battery system you can add range easily.
Old 04-25-20, 06:15 PM
2old

Dillinger has a kit, and my first venture into "e" was a 26" front hub system that I beat to death and it always came back for more. It's on my daughters cruiser now and she loves it. I'd recommend them highly, but they seem to have abandoned the US market, so while they still have product, their batteries may be old.
Old 04-25-20, 08:01 PM
sslonkosky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I think Swytch only lets you see the prices when they are taking pre-orders for a new batch. I signed up to be notified and when I was, I was able to see prices. I believe that the kit with the extended battery was $799 plus shipping, probably an extra $100 or so. I think the kit with the standard battery was $100 to $200 less. I don't know if will be more or less then next time. I thought of ordering one, but would like more than a 250 W motor.

My vision has declined to 20/70 so I can't drive any more. After bus service became erratic in mid-March, I decided I needed to buy a bike to replace the Downtube 8H that had been stolen off a bus rack a year earlier (LAPD wouldn't even take a report). I bought a Downtube Nova. I have had two Sondors ebikes int he past (both of them were stolen), but wanted something. My income is low enough that I haven't been required to file a tax return since I turned 65. Thus I don't think I can afford something as expensive as the OneMotor that linberl review in another thread. I'm 68 and my left leg/knee hurts a little when I walk, less so when I ride a bike.
Old 04-25-20, 10:16 PM
2old

Originally Posted by sslonkosky
I think Swytch only lets you see the prices when they are taking pre-orders for a new batch. I signed up to be notified and when I was, I was able to see prices. I believe that the kit with the extended battery was $799 plus shipping, probably an extra $100 or so. I think the kit with the standard battery was $100 to $200 less. I don't know if will be more or less then next time. I thought of ordering one, but would like more than a 250 W motor.

My vision has declined to 20/70 so I can't drive any more. After bus service became erratic in mid-March, I decided I needed to buy a bike to replace the Downtube 8H that had been stolen off a bus rack a year earlier (LAPD wouldn't even take a report). I bought a Downtube Nova. I have had two Sondors ebikes int he past (both of them were stolen), but wanted something. My income is low enough that I haven't been required to file a tax return since I turned 65. Thus I don't think I can afford something as expensive as the OneMotor that linberl review in another thread. I'm 68 and my left leg/knee hurts a little when I walk, less so when I ride a bike.
You might look at ebikeling. I purchased a 1200w kit from them and am pleased with it. would have recommended them above, but their only 20" system (AFAIK) is a fat tire version.
Old 04-26-20, 09:45 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by sslonkosky

I have an easier time riding than walking as well. Funny how our bodies work, huh? Yes, OM is not inexpensive; I was lucky to get mine during a kickstarter so it was about half price (with a super long multi-year wait). There are other options out there. One that I considered while waiting for my OM was the Outrunner. It's a very simple unit, easy to install yourself, just doesn''t have the extensive functionality of OM. Basically it's on and off. But it will get you there. And it's super low priced. Outrunner Urb-E - Pe-Drives They do this model, and also have a front and rear drive system on their website as well. Batteries and components are easily changed. If I wanted a simple, cheap, easy device to get me a few miles I would do this. It's about half the price of a decent hub motor system. Disclaimer: I've not used it so exercise due diligence. Just something to consider.
Old 05-19-20, 04:00 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I have looked at a Swytch Kit. They won't say what the price is. Kind of makes this look like a overpriced unit. As I have a low tolerance for salesmansh*% tricks I am looking elsewhere. But want to keep an open mind. Will look at one of the test channels again to see if a price range is given. Does anyone have experience with them? I have asked them and they said I could get their kit for a 20" Brompton, they were out now and making more kits up, and were quite coy about not telling me the cost. That's why I may go with a Grin kit from Canada instead. But as said earlier they are high priced. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
I just ordered their pro kit. Costs with shipping and taxes is about $780, regular kit is $499, the pro $625. I'm not planning on it for my folders at this point. Going to start with my tandem, which shares the same wheel size as my wife's road bike. I figure we can swap between the two as needed, giving her the ability to keep up with my chameleon on long rides.
Old 05-20-20, 02:22 AM
Bluesfrog

This would be my first Ebike install. So I thought buying a complete kit would be good. I hate to get a bike all set up then have it stolen. I also wouldn't want to have to tell everyone to hold their ears as I am going to take my bike back. That would probably make me end up in court. I won't play well with thieves. I don't get much stolen from me. I keep most things locked inside. Use an innertube covered chain with padlock and don't stay inside a store long. With the virus thing I seldom see the inside of any commercial place. Mostly I ride outside to leave the house, get exercise and keep the wife from choking me to death. We are both retired! I no longer go to the prison for two days a week to help out. The Trek ebike helps me mentally by being an avenue of escape. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-20-20, 09:00 AM
2old

One last thing you might consider. Xiongdamotor.com.cn has a couple of very innovative systems (a two-speed motor and a small one weighing 1.7 kg AIR) and will build to suit (that's make the wires any length you wish, provide the controller of your choice etc). The last time I communicated with them, I think it was the daughter of the owner/inventor, Bonnie who is very fluent in English (bonnie@xiongdamotor.com.cn). Their products have been inconsistent, and I was straying from hub motors at the time and didn't pursue.
Old 06-10-20, 09:22 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Review of the earlier Swytch kit.