Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

No love for electric gravel bikes? This is my review of Specialized Creo

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 03-29-20, 03:24 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Trying an electric gravel bike was one of my biggest goals since I began my gravelbikes.cc project where I test gravel bikes and bike parts that helps improve the overall comfort without losing the fun factor. I simply wanted to know if electric gravel bike will be the ultimate gravel comfort machine. Finally, I got the chance to test one of the newest and most expensive electric gravel bike and not in one, but in two variants (carbon and aluminum). Riding Specialized Creo was very entertaining but the wonderful experience of having an electric motor is unfortunately hampered by the law (speed restrictions) and the current state of technology development (in my opinion we still did not reach the stage where we can have a really seamless experience, a perfect harmony between the motor and the rider). I am very interested in your opinion about electric gravel bike. This is mine:
https://gravelbikes.cc/tests/special...-bikes-review/

Cheers!
Old 03-29-20, 05:58 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Buzz Marketing
https://www.marketing-schools.org/ty...marketing.html
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-29-20, 07:22 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Got one in at the shop a couple weeks ago for a customer, was not impressed. Yeah, it's cool to be able to soft pedal up hills at 24 mph, but it has issues (IMO). The biggest gripe I have is the monstrous Q-factor. It's like riding a fatbike in a road position. We've had in other Turbo models and none of them have been set up like that. The other issue is the motor. It doesn't increase its assistance when you increase your power. I know, I know, it's an assistance motor, but when you get out of the saddle, it feels like you're dragging the full weight of the bike along. You sit back down and it suddenly feels fine. For a bike that starts around $6000, it sure doesn't wow like it should.
Old 03-29-20, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
No love.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-29-20, 10:29 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Got one in at the shop a couple weeks ago for a customer, was not impressed. Yeah, it's cool to be able to soft pedal up hills at 24 mph, but it has issues (IMO). The biggest gripe I have is the monstrous Q-factor. It's like riding a fatbike in a road position. We've had in other Turbo models and none of them have been set up like that. The other issue is the motor. It doesn't increase its assistance when you increase your power. I know, I know, it's an assistance motor, but when you get out of the saddle, it feels like you're dragging the full weight of the bike along. You sit back down and it suddenly feels fine. For a bike that starts around $6000, it sure doesn't wow like it should.
Thank you for your comment. I totally agree that, although Spec motor is one of the best in business right now, it is still far from perfect. You said about the problems when you are out of the saddle and I experienced something very similar when trying to start fast from standstill. The Q-factor, to be honest, did not bother me at all (maybe because I spend years on MTB bikes and only last couple of years I have been riding gravel bikes).
Likes For sweetspot:
Old 03-30-20, 02:37 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
There's an Electric Bike forum for those folks who need motors.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-30-20, 05:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Moved here from gravel bikes. Ebike threads go in ebikes, period.
Old 03-30-20, 06:06 PM
tegnamo

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
You can put 40-42C gravel tires on a Domane+ (the Bosch ones). Did that on mine and (per another user) so long as you don't mind mostly sitting and not standing to pedal, it's totally fine (and pretty enjoyable) to ride on gravel!
Old 03-30-20, 06:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

what specifically precludes standing? You can't really stand much around here because you are either climbing or descending, and the climbs are too steep
Old 04-03-20, 09:09 PM
Frankenbike27

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tegnamo
You can put 40-42C gravel tires on a Domane+ (the Bosch ones). Did that on mine and (per another user) so long as you don't mind mostly sitting and not standing to pedal, it's totally fine (and pretty enjoyable) to ride on gravel!
You can put any **** on any ****, will it work the way you want, mathmatics.
Old 04-04-20, 08:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I'm pretty sure he meant it would work
Old 04-04-20, 09:37 AM
tegnamo

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankenbike27
You can put any **** on any ****, will it work the way you want, mathmatics.
haha what even is this post?
Old 05-11-20, 03:23 PM
lazurm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not impressed? I am....

I downshift prior to stopping so when I start up again, being in a lower gear, it's easy to get the cadence up and have the motor kick in soon enough. As for the "monstrous" Q-factor, I don't notice it unless I try to and, even then, it's quite subtle to me. I've own, and continue to own, many bicycles (7 currently) and my Creo SL fits like a glove and is a total joy to ride.

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious