Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Left crank arm removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Left crank arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 04:55 PM
Space_doodle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left crank arm removal

I just bought a power meter and need to take off the left crank arm (Cannondale SI) I thought I could do it and researched it to death but when I started the job I can't even get the crank nut off! I really forced it and am know afraid I've hurt my precious. Threads are still intact. Any ideas how to remove a crank nut? It's speced to 30Nm and was built at LBS but I can't get this to budge. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-20, 05:10 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Lefty loosey, righty tighty?
Old 04-04-20, 05:25 PM
Space_doodle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Lefty loosey, righty tighty?
As in crank stays still and wrench moves counterclockwise? That's what I've been doing.
Old 04-04-20, 05:46 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Yep, wrench counterclockwise. Got a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer or a bit of heavy wood? Support the axle and crank on some padded blocks of wood with the crank to the left. With the mallet belt the allen key down. Often a sharp blow is much more effective than a steady pressure in removing recalcitrant bolts. Use the best long arm allen key (hex wrench) you can. Or a hex socket and socket arm.
Old 04-04-20, 06:02 PM
Space_doodle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, wrench counterclockwise. Got a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer or a bit of heavy wood? Support the axle and crank on some padded blocks of wood with the crank to the left. With the mallet belt the allen key down. Often a sharp blow is much more effective than a steady pressure in removing recalcitrant bolts. Use the best long arm allen key (hex wrench) you can. Or a hex socket and socket arm.
Thank you. I was using a rubber mallet and got some movement but still didn't come off. This is what made me paranoid about damaging the BB. I didn't support with wood blocks, just my thigh. I am using a socket wrench with 10mm hex bolt. I was using a long arm torque wrench but didn't want to start wacking that with a hammer.

If anyone here can confirm that I'm not going to destroy anything, I'll go gorilla on it tomorrow. Got too scared of screwing up my bike to continue today.

Last edited by Space_doodle; 04-04-20 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 06:22 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Space_doodle
... I was using a long arm torque wrench but didn't want to start wacking that with a hammer.
It is poor practice to use a torque wrench for loosening fasteners. That is what breaker bars are made for.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-04-20, 07:26 PM
Trevtassie

The rigid support under the axle/crank is important here (with a little bit of padding to stop scratches). You want to transfer energy into the bolt axle interface, not your body.
Old 04-04-20, 07:31 PM
Trevtassie

Other option would be an impact wrench, electric or air powered. A manual hammer type with a socket drive might also cut it; like this: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2910-2.../dp/B000NPUJYE
Old 04-04-20, 08:58 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
The rigid support under the axle/crank is important here (with a little bit of padding to stop scratches). You want to transfer energy into the bolt axle interface, not your body.
Or the BB bearings either.
Old 04-04-20, 09:44 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Place a socket wrench on the crank arm fixing bolt, positioned slighly 'ahead of time' in the clock vs the crankarm, so you can grasp both the crank arm and socket bar in the same hand. Grip both with both hands, and squeeze them together with your hands. This works great to give immense controlled breaking force, although i have a very strong grip.
Old 04-05-20, 05:21 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
...I am using a socket wrench with 10mm hex bolt....
If this is a square tapered crank, you should either be using a 14 mm socket or 8 mm Allen.

Most of time you can get these with correct ergonomics. Some people don't have a strong enough grip or wrists, and need to use shoulders and upper body strength, arms aligned with the frame. Be sure your knuckles don't get smashed between wrench and crank--get the wrench past the crank as mentioned above.
Old 04-05-20, 07:00 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I just bought a power meter and need to take off the left crank arm (Cannondale SI) I thought I could do it and researched it to death but when I started the job I can't even get the crank nut off! I really forced it and am know afraid I've hurt my precious. Threads are still intact. Any ideas how to remove a crank nut? It's speced to 30Nm and was built at LBS but I can't get this to budge. Thanks in advance.
You realize the SI crank requires a proprietary extraction tool? It can be hacked. At the last shop I worked at, I cut the head off a M18 crank fixing bolt and screwed it into the spindle and then a standard crank puller can be used to push against it.
The fixing bolt should come loose by rotating counter clockwise. It may take considerable force to break it loose.
Old 04-05-20, 04:06 PM
Space_doodle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Everyone, thanks for all your help. I did it. I used the wood block and rubber mallet approach. It still took at least a couple full turns with the 5 past the hour approach that someone here suggested. Here's the interesting part and it might explain why this 3 year old bike had such a tight nut. I think the LBS where I purchased this bike built it wrong! I found a wave washer and a spacer on the left side. In the Cannondale manual it indicates that this wave washer should be on the drive side and should be visible after installation. Well, I definitely don't have a wave washer on the drive side. It is possible that the builder then put the crank on too tight to get the proper compression in the washer (on the wrong side). I put the bike back together the way I found it because it has served me well and I know it is at least safe. When I have time some day, I might take off the right and left sides and put it back together according the manual. Anyway, thank you all for your help. This is the first post I've made here and I'm worried I might get hooked.