Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Continental tire conundrum.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-20, 08:42 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts

Over the past couple years I've had 3 Continental Tour Ride tires split around the sidewall over the Winter. I chalked it up to having been sold old stock and bought a new set from a different vendor. Today I pulled my old '97 Trek 820 out to take a ride. It has 2 year old Continental Town and Country tires on it, they were low so I aired them up to about 55 PSI. Lo and behold they're split around the sidewalls and some of the splits are pretty big. The bikes they are on are not exposed to direct sunlight when in storage. I'm puzzled, I'm still going to ride them but it's aggravating, I'm going to take a close look at everything I have Contis on now including the replacement set of Tour Rides. Anyone else had this issue?
Old 04-05-20, 09:10 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I have not had this issue but I love my continental gator skins. I had an issue with one last summer and I emailed customer service. Got a fast reply and about 2 weeks later had a free replacement. Maybe try to reach out and see if they will help you out.
Old 04-05-20, 09:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Dry heat will shorten the shelf life of rubber.
Old 04-05-20, 09:42 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Just a long shot, do you store your bikes near a dryer vent or heater vent?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-06-20, 02:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Any source of ozone where the tires were stored? Ionic air cleaner, old defective electronic equipment, etc?

I wouldn't assume the Contis were defective, but if you decide to try something similar in another brand, check out Michelin Protek tires.
Old 04-06-20, 04:37 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I would change brands and find a customer service add. to send a copy of your post to. They might appreciate photos also.
Old 04-06-20, 08:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
How long have the tires been mounted on the bike? Are the splits just the surface rubber, or do they go down to the cords?

(Reason for asking is, the answer might just be to ride more and wear the tires out.)
Old 04-06-20, 10:37 AM
Gardener D

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I have continental tyres on my bike they are about five years old and I have similar concerns.
I put it down to leaving the bike with flat tyres for a while on the ground - blame myself
David
Old 04-06-20, 11:00 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've had many Contis with cracked rubber where the cracking was inconsequential. OTOH, I had 6 out of 7 Conti Sport Contacts crack around the shoulder area and subsequently blow out through holes in the carcasses where the cracks were. At the time it was the only tire I could find in 28x406 size.
Old 04-06-20, 11:06 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I live in Arizona, and it's incredibly hot in my garage during the summer, and I haven't had any problems with the Conti or other tires rotting or cracking like this. There might be some with a garage as hot as mine, but probably none hotter. I think there's got to be more to this than just heat, because I've got a lot of Continental tires out in the garage and have had no problems with the rubber drying out and cracking like this. Not sure whatever other factor is contributing to that, but just plain heat probably isn't it. The only tires I've had that were cracked like this were many years old. Is the OP saying he's bought brand new Conti tires and had them crack like this within one or two seasons?
Old 04-06-20, 12:20 PM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I bought new Tour Rides last summer for a tour and had both split at the bead while underway. The front tire was so bad I was getting pinch flats every few hours. I limped across the border at Sault Ste Marie (into Ontario) to the first decent bike shop in days and had to replace both at under 2000 miles- a real bummer. I dislike the Reflex stripe on the Schwalbe tour tires and really like the profile and feel of the Contis but there is definitely something wrong at their factory. Now running those Schwalbes anyway as I found I could peel the whitewall right off.
Old 04-06-20, 01:29 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I had a set of Continental road ties on my commuter bicycle that split after 6 months; the bike is stored indoors at home and at work, RT each day is 8 miles. I rationalized it as a few bad tires, bought a new set, and they did the same thing. Bought some inexpensive 'Gotham Street' tires at a Performance Bike shop and they have been working great - a bit heavy, but no cracked rubber, good puncture resistance, and they roll nicely. Will be buying them again (you can get them on the Performance Bike website).
Old 04-06-20, 02:02 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by SethAZ
Is the OP saying he's bought brand new Conti tires and had them crack like this within one or two seasons?
Yes, that's exact;y what I'm saying.....

I'm in the Midwest, tires have never seen the high side of 95 deg. and low 90's only for short periods and the affected tires were well below max pressure at the time. Definitely no "dry" heat LOL, it gets quite humid here in the Summer months and last year was especially wet. They were stored at lower pressure over the Winter but never enough for the weight of the bike to cause even a bulge and while it got pretty cold the previous Winter this one was pretty mild. No heat sources of any kind in the garage, no electrical equipment except a refrigerator about 15 feet away and the garage is WELL ventilated. I do have pair of Panaracers that have also done this but they are probably 7 or 8 years old and only split where the gumwall meets the black, the Contis have split all over. I think I'm done with Continental tires.
Old 04-06-20, 02:39 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
no electrical equipment except a refrigerator about 15 feet away and the garage is WELL ventilated.
How well ventilated is your garage in winter? Just offering a possible explanation
Old 04-06-20, 03:04 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by alcjphil
How well ventilated is your garage in winter? Just offering a possible explanation
Normal venting, no heat, no insulation. It pretty much maintains whatever the temp and humidity is outside but keeps everything dry. My Schwalbe, GEAX, Vee Rubber and several year old NASHBAR tires aren't doing this and they're stored right next to the Contis.............
Old 04-06-20, 03:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Normal venting, no heat, no insulation. It pretty much maintains whatever the temp and humidity is outside but keeps everything dry. My Schwalbe, GEAX, Vee Rubber and several year old NASHBAR tires aren't doing this and they're stored right next to the Contis.............
OK, so sounds as if you have some pretty good empirical evidence. No more Conti's for you. To be sure, I am not being sarcastic, I think you are deciding based on good evidence.
Old 04-06-20, 07:55 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Conti’s

Maybe I have been lucky but I have run Conti’s for years on my road bike with great success. Could not be happier nor would I change manufacturer at this moment.
Old 04-07-20, 11:45 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
Maybe I have been lucky but I have run Conti’s for years on my road bike with great success. Could not be happier nor would I change manufacturer at this moment.
I'm riding a set of Compass tires right now, but before that it was mostly Conti GP4K and I loved them, and never had any troubles with the rubber splitting. I'm thinking it's something specific to the OP's environment or something. Granted, if it's really happening to him then it's a good move for him to use some other tire, but I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to use Contis again, because OP's experience with them isn't what I've experienced where I'm at. In fact, I'm thinking of ordering some Conti GP5Ks to try them out, since I liked the GP4Ks so much.
Old 04-08-20, 02:18 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have run the Town and Country tire for years without trouble. No cracking after 5 years, but they did wear through to the cords! Have Conti tires on several bikes and have experienced zero issues with cracking. It could be the user needs to change brands to see if they do better in his environment.
Old 04-26-20, 08:45 AM
Leyburn

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Found this useful thread (and this forum) when searching for info re: splits in the front Continental Tour Ride tyre on my road bike. Most of my riding is on poor quality tarmac and poor quality concrete, used to get frequent punctures before fitting the Tour Rides front and back, not one puncture since, perhaps 3k miles. Front has several splits, but no tube protruding. Have bought 2x Continental Ride Tours as replacements, assuming the "Ride Tour" tyre is similar to the "Tour Ride" tyre, but perhaps without the splitting.
Old 04-26-20, 08:21 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've never heard of Conti Tour Rides, and never seen any issues with Continentals, but I've only used Grand Prix or Gatorskins. I've done thousands of miles on them on several bikes. I keep them inflated, and always hang the bikes by the wheel rim. If you let the air go flat, and the bikes are sitting on the flats, I can see how cracks might develop. Otherwise? Never seen that. I had one tire develop little tread "bubbles" in the tread center. It also made strange "squishy" noises as it rolled along. It was more than 50% worn by by then, and the rubber at the center was getting thin. I love my Gators, and I've also had good luck with Panaracer Paselas.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 04-26-20 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 09:07 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Yes, that's exact;y what I'm saying.....

I'm in the Midwest, tires have never seen the high side of 95 deg. and low 90's only for short periods and the affected tires were well below max pressure at the time. Definitely no "dry" heat LOL, it gets quite humid here in the Summer months and last year was especially wet. They were stored at lower pressure over the Winter but never enough for the weight of the bike to cause even a bulge and while it got pretty cold the previous Winter this one was pretty mild. No heat sources of any kind in the garage, no electrical equipment except a refrigerator about 15 feet away and the garage is WELL ventilated. I do have pair of Panaracers that have also done this but they are probably 7 or 8 years old and only split where the gumwall meets the black, the Contis have split all over. I think I'm done with Continental tires.

Refrigerator runs intermittently 24/7, producing ozone, which degrades rubber.

Plus, if it's like most garage refers, it is an old energy hog struggling to work in a hot garage,

and has a few sodas in it, running up the electric bill. Chuck it.
Old 04-26-20, 09:12 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Environmental and road conditions most often the culprit. I am telling you, ridden Conti’s for years and no issues......knock on wood.

My only other favored manufacturer was Michelin until I started riding Conti’s.
Old 04-27-20, 12:08 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Refrigerator runs intermittently 24/7, producing ozone, which degrades rubber.

Plus, if it's like most garage refers, it is an old energy hog struggling to work in a hot garage,

and has a few sodas in it, running up the electric bill. Chuck it.
So why have my other bike tires, some of which are years older, not done this? ONLY the Continentals purchased in the last couple years are doing this.

I'll be keeping the refrigerator, we use it a LOT.
Old 04-27-20, 08:04 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Thanks for the info, just rebuilt my neighbors two Treks, putting new Continental Town & Country tires on each. No experience with these tires, but have Gatorskins on all my road bikes. No issues with the Gatorskins so far, oldest set 6 years old. I too live 700 ft above sea level, and store my bike in the garage or basement over the winter. Did note however, a bit to my dismay, that the Town and Country tires are labeled, made in India, all my Gatorskins are labeled, Handmade in Germany. I’ll be sure to check my neighbors tires next spring.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.