Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace Shift Problem (small lever)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 07:00 PM
JSJensen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Folks Thanks in Advance from an old school cyclist who now has a little problem with components I have been very happy with. I have a 200x generation Trek Carbon Fiber bike that I bought used over 10 years ago and still ride it. I've developed a problem with the shifters - originally just the rear derailleur but now both. From the brake levers, the large lever (shifting to a larger cog) works fine, but the smaller lever doesn't seem to want to catch inside the shifter and just swings in and doesn't actuate the cable. With some jiggling, tapping, smacking, I can eventually get it to catch, but it is *completely* unreliable now.

Some background - I have addressed this in the past (2-3 years ago) by flooding the shift lever assembly with WD-40 for cleaning, and then silicone lube. Helped, but not completely....

In 10 years, I have *never* changed out cables. In searching for a previous post on this, I found a related one where a fraying cable was causing problems, and that could be my issue as well. But I haven't had a chance to look for that yet, and thought it better to get my question posted tonight.

Appreciate any help or reference - it's just too flakey at this point to use, and I am anxious to get riding again this spring. I'm a past triathlete but I never liked running as much as riding.

Thanks
Old 04-06-20, 07:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Since a frayed cable is so easily found and cured I'll wait for you to check that out first before going further. Andy
Old 04-06-20, 07:30 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
10 years is a long time for shift cables, Change them and get back to us.
Old 04-06-20, 07:34 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Not much more to offer beyond bathing it liberally with degreaser or WD 40 and regreasing.
Old 04-06-20, 07:37 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you do have a frayed cable you would do well to replace it before the head breaks off inside the shifter, where it is very difficult to get out.
Old 04-06-20, 07:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Change both the cable and housing.
Old 04-06-20, 08:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Before the Op spends money I suggested he finds out the real condition of the cables. Anything else is throwing money at something with no target. Andy
Old 04-06-20, 08:03 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Holy goodness, change your friggin cables and housing already. This is normal annual service for a road bike. Shimano road shifters in particular love to fray them inside the shifter. CHANGE YOUR CABLES (and housing).
Old 04-07-20, 07:03 AM
JSJensen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To all - Hmm, I'm getting the idea that new cables might be a good idea. Lol.
Thanks - will check and get back to you, with pics if I can.
Old 04-07-20, 07:41 PM
JSJensen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK - so an inspection of the shifter cable shows it in surprisingly good condition. No fraying and no gunk. The small shifter problem persists even without the cable tensioned in the shifter. I will attach a photo momentarily.

I did notice another aspect of the behavior: I realized I can make the small shifter actuate properly if I apply *forward* pressure on the small shift lever as I move it to the left. (This applies to the right handlebar, aka, rear derailleur). So once the lever clears the larger shift lever (brake), if I push forward as I continue moving it to the left, it will operate properly. If I just push laterally to the left, the lever swings freely but doesn't catch the shifter inside.

Thanks - I come with no ego to this forum, just grateful for any tips or advice you can offer. I'll add a pic next.

Stu
Old 04-07-20, 07:52 PM
JSJensen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andrew - cable in surprisingly good condition after removal this evening. Apparently I'm not allowed to post a pic until I have 10 posts...? Appreciate any further thoughts. I added some more insight to the symptoms in another post just a short while ago.
Old 04-07-20, 08:30 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by JSJensen
I did notice another aspect of the behavior: I realized I can make the small shifter actuate properly if I apply *forward* pressure on the small shift lever as I move it to the left. (This applies to the right handlebar, aka, rear derailleur). So once the lever clears the larger shift lever (brake), if I push forward as I continue moving it to the left, it will operate properly. If I just push laterally to the left, the lever swings freely but doesn't catch the shifter inside.
Ditto, same with mine (albeit 6600). Maybe it's time for a solvent or ultrasonic soak 🤷‍♂️
Old 04-07-20, 10:21 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by JSJensen
did notice another aspect of the behavior: I realized I can make the small shifter actuate properly if I apply *forward* pressure on the small shift lever as I move it to the left. (This applies to the right handlebar, aka, rear derailleur). So once the lever clears the larger shift lever (brake), if I push forward as I continue moving it to the left, it will operate properly. If I just push laterally to the left, the lever swings freely but doesn't catch the shifter inside.Stu
Well, just to give you some hope that's what my 6600 shifters usually do when they need a flush and lube. No guarantees but hope that's all you need.
Old 04-08-20, 08:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Ditto, same with mine (albeit 6600). Maybe it's time for a solvent or ultrasonic soak 🤷‍♂️
It sounds to me that the pushing of the release lever forward as it passes by the primary blade is doing much of what I described, keeping the primary lever stationary. If so then I suspect your lever won't return to proper function with a thorough solvent flushing and relube. But these levers have a few age/failure modes that overlap in how they present. If these were mine I would do the flush and lube because I can then see what developed. Andy
Old 04-10-20, 01:04 PM
JSJensen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. A very heavy flush and lube seems to have done the trick. They are operating well and reliably shifting... I will however be ordering new cables and shrouds. I'm clearly on borrowed time in that regard.