Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing my wheels and possibly brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 06:01 AM
SnazzyMax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!

First time posting here.

My bike is a Btwin Triban 540 - bought approx. 3 years ago new.

I'm looking to buy new wheels and possibly new brakes (disc brakes if possible), so I may render this bike fit for a small tour from Barcelona to Bordeaux.

I've never changed the wheels (stock Mavic Aksium - 24mm i think?), but I'd like to go for the full 32mm if possible, so I can have wider tyres for more grip on rougher terrain. Is this a good idea?

If I get wider wheels, then I'd like to change the stock rim brake system to a disc system too.

Any suggestions please? I'm really not sure what to be looking for or where to start - I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this field.

Thanks to all in advance for your help!

Old 04-07-20, 06:21 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by SnazzyMax
Hi!

First time posting here.

My bike is a Btwin Triban 540 - bought approx. 3 years ago new.

I'm looking to buy new wheels and possibly new brakes (disc brakes if possible), so I may render this bike fit for a small tour from Barcelona to Bordeaux.

I've never changed the wheels (stock Mavic Aksium - 24mm i think?), but I'd like to go for the full 32mm if possible, so I can have wider tyres for more grip on rougher terrain. Is this a good idea?

If I get wider wheels, then I'd like to change the stock rim brake system to a disc system too.

Any suggestions please? I'm really not sure what to be looking for or where to start - I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this field.

Thanks to all in advance for your help!

That bike brand is a new one to me, so I did a quick search. It does not appear that frame or fork has disc brake mounts, so switching would not be an option. The blurb I saw said it already accepts 32mm tires, so I don't really know what you expect to gain except perhaps a more sturdy wheel set to support loaded touring.
Old 04-07-20, 06:25 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
There's no reason why you can't tour with rim brakes. Change the cables to a quality set like Jagwire road pro. Change the brake pads to some Koolstops or Swisstops . You can easily put 32mm tyres on 24mm rims but the issue with your current rims is more to do with strength rather than width, with only 20 spokes put a big load on the back rack and you will need to be very careful, especially if you are a bit chunky. Realistically you'd be better off with 32 or 36spoke wheels. You aren't going to be able to easily fit racks on those carbon forks to spread the load either. With no disc mounts on the frame or forks you could change the front fork to one with mounts for racks and discs but back discs are never going to be an option. You are kind of trying to change a sports car into a van, It's possible, but will cost a bit and never work as well as a real van. You need to evaluate whether it might be cheaper to find a more appropriate used bike as a base.
Old 04-07-20, 07:42 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Changing to disc brakes is not at all practical and if you really have to have them you need a different bike. However, touring with caliper brakes is done all the time. As noted fit good pads like KoolStop Salmons and you should be good.

Your wheels are wide enough to fit 32 mm tires but the low spoke count really isn't adequate unless your touring load is very minimal. Replacement 32 or 36 spoke wheels are highly recommended. The bike does have mounts and eyelets for front and rear racks so you are OK there.

Finally, is the gearing low enough? The specs say the bike comes with an 11x28 11-speed cassette and mid-compact 52x36 double crank. Is a 36x28 gear low enough for the hills you have to deal with, particularly with a touring load?
Old 04-07-20, 10:10 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
How much weight do you weight and how much weight do you plan to carry? You may be able to get away with your current wheels and wider tires if combined weight is say (wild estimate) under 230 lbs. Looks like your trip is around 400 miles so not a huge strain to your bike on decent roads. My biggest concern, as HillRider mentioned, would be gearing as I think yours is pretty high for doing loaded climbs. A real tour bummer if you end up killing yourself on inclines. Lots of touring info can also be had in the touring section https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/ .