Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Preload adjuster won't budge

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 09:11 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

I recently got a new bike with a Suntour NCX E25 spring-loaded fork that has a preload adjuster on the top of the left leg. When I tried to dial it down a bit yesterday, there was no way I could budge the adjuster by hand. I used a pair of pliers on it and managed to get about 1/8 turn out of it, but it was so tight that I was afraid to force it any farther (it's stuck in both directions BTW). I communicated online with a couple of people with the same bike and they said it should be adjustable by hand.

I probably won't be able to get it back to the LBS until after the lockdown eases up, and it's not really that critical of a function right now. but I was wondering if anyone with experience has seen this before and what solution might be available to me, if any. If it's going to require a new fork, I'll just have to wait (the weather's not that great for riding here yet anyway).
Old 04-07-20, 09:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
One method to more easily deal with this kind of thing is to take the fork apart and access the stuck part from a different angle. I hope the retailer that you got the bike from offers a follow up tune up as part of their new bike sale service package. Have you contacted them and asked about this issue as well as any time limited service offers?

Of course this assumes a brick and mortar LBS was the resaler. Andy
Old 04-08-20, 06:25 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One method to more easily deal with this kind of thing is to take the fork apart and access the stuck part from a different angle. I hope the retailer that you got the bike from offers a follow up tune up as part of their new bike sale service package. Have you contacted them and asked about this issue as well as any time limited service offers?

Of course this assumes a brick and mortar LBS was the resaler. Andy
Thanks. I would have taken it by my LBS for this except that our bike shops are all currently closed, but this is not a big deal at all at this time and I can afford to wait.
Old 04-08-20, 08:52 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Go to the Suntour website. They have exploded diagrams, some manuals and contact info. Contact them first with your issue before attempting any disassembly.