Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle Sore

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 01:07 PM
MikeB9731

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sequoia, Moots Mountain Bike Tandem, 1977 Austro Daimler Ultima, Klein Pinnacle Mtn. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle Sore

New to the forum, I've been out of the saddle for awhile. Used to ride a lot. I need some help in knowing what to do to get my behind used to the saddle again. I'm hoping there is a way that does not include a lot of pain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks..
Old 04-06-20, 01:21 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm not aware of a magical solution to this. Even seasonal riders are sore when they resume in the Springtime.

I'd recommend rides of shorter duration as you start out again. Like 20 minutes or so. Every other day. Ease into it, and give your bottom time to toughen up. Also, lot's of stretching of hamstrings, glutes, adductors, calves to keep the legs limber. Maybe others have something more concrete...
Old 04-06-20, 01:28 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'm not aware of a magical solution to this. Even seasonal riders are sore when they resume in the Springtime.

I'd recommend rides of shorter duration as you start out again. Like 20 minutes or so. Every other day. Ease into it, and give your bottom time to toughen up. Also, lot's of stretching of hamstrings, glutes, adductors, calves to keep the legs limber. Maybe others have something more concrete...
Also, use petroleum jelly on the contact spots. I have found petroleum jelly to be the best protection against saddle sores. For added protection on long rides I usually put a bit of chamois cream on top of the petroleum jelly.
Old 04-06-20, 05:26 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I've read that petroleum jelly can clog pores.Something like Body Glide or Gold Bond Friction Defense reduce friction without petroleum jelly or mineral oil.

The best way to avoid butt pain is to ease in to riding, as recommended above.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-06-20, 06:40 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Get a saddle with plain old fashioned steel springs on it. It's an easy practical solution to your problem. The one shown below is a very inexpensive item. And, it works.

Old 04-06-20, 10:12 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
There are 2 factors that lead to sorebuttitus
The fit of the saddle, which includes firmness, flex, width, etc. Choose your saddle carefully. If the saddle that came with the bike fits, you're lucky
and
the friction from saddle cover to your rear. The purpose of chamois and the balms is to reduce friction.
Which is why saddles like Brooks are so popular. The saddle forms to your rear and the laminated leather has very little friction.

Increased padding helps temporarily. I find when riding with my Brooks, I can ride several hours with no padding. With the other saddles and padded shorts; after 2 hours I start to feel the soreness
Old 04-07-20, 12:06 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I like some padding, if only a little. Wilderness Trail Bikes saddles do it for me.
Old 04-07-20, 07:19 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Saddle sores can be completely avoided if your bike doesn't have a saddle. But that's the subject for another forum. If you gotta have a saddle, that WTB one looks a lot like my old-time favorite (that's no longer made of course.)
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 04-07-20, 07:26 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts

A 60 year old French saddle might help.🤣 When no other saddle is comfortable this one calms my behind. But riding thru some discomfort seems to be a yearly thing. Takes a dozen rides or so to toughen up the rearend.
Old 04-07-20, 10:39 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Actual "saddle sores", as opposed to muscle pain from and unconditioned bum, are from bacteria infecting skin chafed by friction. After you ride, make sure your change your clothes immediately and wash off where the bum meets the saddle. As others have mentioned, soft saddle comfort is not necessarily good for longer rides because those kind of saddles allow for more frictional motion between your bum and the saddle.

For muscle pain, it just takes some conditioning and will go away over time given the right saddle.
Old 04-07-20, 10:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'd pretty much ignore any saddle suggestions on here--it's a bunch of people who've never seen your feet trying to recommend the right shoe size.

Not sure if your pain is from pressure or tired muscle, but I find that early in the season, I do a lot more standing on the pedals and move back to riding on the seat more as my fitness improves.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-07-20, 11:52 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Yes to the above, make it a policy. Every 10 or 15 minutes get off that saddle for a minute (that is a pretty long time). When you sit back down it will feel better since the blood has flowed back. That will help condition your rear, and later in the season you can do that less.
Old 04-07-20, 04:38 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Actual "saddle sores", as opposed to muscle pain from and unconditioned bum, are from bacteria infecting skin chafed by friction. After you ride, make sure your change your clothes immediately and wash off where the bum meets the saddle. As others have mentioned, soft saddle comfort is not necessarily good for longer rides because those kind of saddles allow for more frictional motion between your bum and the saddle.

For muscle pain, it just takes some conditioning and will go away over time given the right saddle.
this has been my experience too. And when I do get a saddle sore I use neosporin.
Old 04-07-20, 04:49 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
There are 2 factors that lead to sorebuttitus
The fit of the saddle, which includes firmness, flex, width, etc. Choose your saddle carefully. If the saddle that came with the bike fits, you're lucky
and
the friction from saddle cover to your rear. The purpose of chamois and the balms is to reduce friction.
Which is why saddles like Brooks are so popular. The saddle forms to your rear and the laminated leather has very little friction.

Increased padding helps temporarily. I find when riding with my Brooks, I can ride several hours with no padding. With the other saddles and padded shorts; after 2 hours I start to feel the soreness
Originally Posted by spelger
this has been my experience too. And when I do get a saddle sore I use neosporin.
Same here.
Old 04-07-20, 07:15 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
1. Use chamois butter
2. Occasionally pedal while standing especially during rough patches in your path.
Old 04-07-20, 10:30 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeB9731
New to the forum, I've been out of the saddle for awhile. Used to ride a lot. I need some help in knowing what to do to get my behind used to the saddle again. I'm hoping there is a way that does not include a lot of pain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks..
I think it just takes a little while for your skin to "HTFU". I never get them anymore, and I'm sure with a little time you'll be sore-free!

Try rubbing some Vitamin E oil on the affected areas after your post-ride shower, it will help with the irritation.