Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic brakes, and flying.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hydraulic brakes, and flying.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 08:22 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
can you provide the link to west-jet (or any airline) website
requiring draining hydraulic fluid?
it does not state draining, just that a bike needs to be in a bag or box "Pack the bicycle in a box or bag to protect your bike and prevent leakage from bicycles containing hydraulic fluid."

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...baggage/sports
Attached Images
Old 04-12-17, 09:46 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, the entire airplane is pressurized to the same pressure. It has nothing to do with the cargo or baggage, and everything to do with the aircraft's structure.

The airplane is a cylindrical pressure vessel, basically a light weight air tank. If there were a difference in pressure above and below the cabin floor, it wold buckle. Plus it would require that the floor is hermetically sealed o keep cabin pressure from venting down into the hold. So, think, one big air tank, that happens to have a floor stretching across the middle.

BTW - the above was proven in a a very unfortunate event when a cargo door failed, causing the cabin pressure to buckle the floor, leading to a crash.

As to hydraulic lines. If their bled properly there's no air inside to expand and push fluid out. Plus the total volume of fluid is too small to be of concern anyway, so don't sweat this bit of nonsense, and don't go out of your way to tell anyone you have hydraulics on the bike.
I wasn't going for a physics lesson, merely stating the hold is pressurized.
Old 04-12-17, 09:53 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I wasn't going for a physics lesson, merely stating the hold is pressurized.
No problem, I was simply offering an alternate explanation other than worry about pets checked as cargo.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-12-17, 10:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Airlines do not want any fluids that can leak onto other customers luggage.

And airlines do not like finding fluids that they can't identify. They do not know if it is hazardous. I have heard of haz mat crews being called out to clean up stuff that nobody knew was safe.

Also there are rules against traveling with flammable liquids. Brake fluid is not flammable but some brake fluids are classified as combustible. I have had experience with transportation personnel that are not trained in this stuff and did not know what the difference between flammable and combustible is, they think the are the same thing.

It is an over-abundance of caution, which sometimes is partly based on ignorance.

I do not have hydraulic brakes on a bike but I have Rohloff oil in my Rohloff hub. And no, I did not drain the oil out of the hub before flying. But it did leak some of the oil out of the hub in transit. But I will continue to fly with oil in the hub until they direct me otherwise.

Regarding the debate on pressurization, aircraft interior is pressurized but the pressure is less than the airport you took off from or landed at, pressurization is closer to equivalent to about 8,000 feet.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 04-13-17 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-31-20, 12:28 PM
PartyboY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I have flown with hydros many times. No issues whatsoever. Never heard of anyone having issues. If you find something, please post it up here.
Strange thing, I've flown with my MTB to many countries before and this time around I found my front brakes completely gone. I tried pumping the lever and it does manage to build some pressure but nothing like it should be and after a few min there is nothing again.
Old 03-31-20, 04:36 PM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
West-jet. Asks that all fluids be drained, and tires deflated.
It makes sense to me as the cargo hold is not pressurized.

-Snuts-
They are certainly pressurized.