Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

DIY Grocery Basket

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

DIY Grocery Basket

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 08:44 PM
Johnny H.

Bikes: Windsor Dover 2.0 Hybrid,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
DIY Grocery Basket

I couldn't justify spending 40+ dollars for a proprietary grocery basket for my luggage rack, so I made my own. The bucket is easily attached and detached in seconds.

Took me maybe 20-30 minutes to make.

Using a plastic Deli Cat or Tidy Cat bucket works good or any other kind that is similar in design.
Two 24" bungee cords
A small piece of rubber shelf liner cut to fit between the bucked and the rack. (Quiets any plastic to metal rattles and makes it non slip.)
A hacksaw blade
fine sand paper

Using just the hacksaw blade start at a corner just below the ridge where the handle attaches, and cut through using the ridge as a guide for a straight cut all the way around.
Once that is done you can use some sand paper to smooth the top edge. I used a round file to make 4 notches for the hooks on the top edge directly up from the indention's at the bottom of the bucket. The 2 indention"s on the bottom make a nice natural place for the bungee cords to pass around.

To use simply place the small rubber liner on the rack, then the bucket, hook each bungee cord to the top of the bucket and down underneath the bike rack and up the other side into the notches. This takes seconds to do.

I spray painted mine black to hide the screened on labels.

Have fun!

Old 09-27-19, 07:20 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny H.
I couldn't justify spending 40+ dollars for a proprietary grocery basket for my luggage rack, so I made my own. The bucket is easily attached and detached in seconds.

Took me maybe 20-30 minutes to make.

Using a plastic Deli Cat or Tidy Cat bucket works good or any other kind that is similar in design.
Two 24" bungee cords
A small piece of rubber shelf liner cut to fit between the bucked and the rack. (Quiets any plastic to metal rattles and makes it non slip.)
A hacksaw blade
fine sand paper

Using just the hacksaw blade start at a corner just below the ridge where the handle attaches, and cut through using the ridge as a guide for a straight cut all the way around.
Once that is done you can use some sand paper to smooth the top edge. I used a round file to make 4 notches for the hooks on the top edge directly up from the indention's at the bottom of the bucket. The 2 indention"s on the bottom make a nice natural place for the bungee cords to pass around.

To use simply place the small rubber liner on the rack, then the bucket, hook each bungee cord to the top of the bucket and down underneath the bike rack and up the other side into the notches. This takes seconds to do.

I spray painted mine black to hide the screened on labels.

Have fun!

Got an actual photo of your bike and the set up?
Old 09-30-19, 05:34 PM
Johnny H.

Bikes: Windsor Dover 2.0 Hybrid,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't own a cell phone, and don't know where my camera is so I put this together with Photoshop.

This is the same exact bike as mine, along with the rack, so this is my setup except I painted my bucket black. I found out that spray paint doesn't adhere too well to plastic, and scratches easily. I suppose if the plastic were roughed up some it would take the paint better.
Likes For Johnny H.:
Old 10-10-19, 03:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny H.
I don't own a cell phone, and don't know where my camera is so I put this together with Photoshop.

This is the same exact bike as mine, along with the rack, so this is my setup except I painted my bucket black. I found out that spray paint doesn't adhere too well to plastic, and scratches easily. I suppose if the plastic were roughed up some it would take the paint better.
Paint stores sell paint designed for PVC patio furniture, trash cans, recycle bins, etc. It works on many types of plastic. Even so, you can scratch the PVC paint off if you try. Nice Photoshop job!