Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Coming Soon Class 3 Trek

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Coming Soon Class 3 Trek

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20, 01:38 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Coming Soon Class 3 Trek

Old 01-11-20, 02:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
that's not what I thought I was going to see when I clicked on the thread. Could you add some more details?
Old 01-13-20, 03:25 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Trek already has Class 3 ebikes
Old 01-20-20, 10:09 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by Elvo
Trek already has Class 3 ebikes
Thanks for the INFO
Old 01-20-20, 10:10 AM
Rick53

Originally Posted by unterhausen
that's not what I thought I was going to see when I clicked on the thread. Could you add some more details?
When I know them I will post them :
Old 01-20-20, 01:16 PM
tegnamo

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Same chassis as this but with a suspension fork and some other differences

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
Likes For tegnamo:
Old 01-30-20, 01:59 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I am on hold with Trek as we speak, waiting for more info than is on the website (compare feature does not work) about the Allant+ Class 3 bikes. I'm interested, but, HMOG $4K for a bike makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. That is definitely above the "no SWMBO authorization necessary" limit for credit card purchases.
Old 01-31-20, 07:53 AM
Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tegnamo
Same chassis as this but with a suspension fork and some other differences

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
I would love to buy it. but the price of turkey 25.000 ₺
Old 02-04-20, 09:04 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I test rode an Allant+ and it was a really nice bike that they market as a Class 3 (28mph) "commuter" bike. They told me that there will be a variant with a suspension fork -- which is a must-have for my intended usage -- but were pretty sure it would be Class 1. This makes sense since a commuter will be mostly ridden on the streets where a 28mph limit is reasonable, whereas the Class 1 is more for bike paths where 20mph is usually sufficient. I'm still looking for a trail-worthy, non-MTB Class 3 bike and have only found the Specialized Vado to fit the bill for my purposes (that's available in the U.S.).
Old 02-17-20, 07:18 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by DougG
I test rode an Allant+ and it was a really nice bike that they market as a Class 3 (28mph) "commuter" bike. They told me that there will be a variant with a suspension fork -- which is a must-have for my intended usage -- but were pretty sure it would be Class 1. This makes sense since a commuter will be mostly ridden on the streets where a 28mph limit is reasonable, whereas the Class 1 is more for bike paths where 20mph is usually sufficient. I'm still looking for a trail-worthy, non-MTB Class 3 bike and have only found the Specialized Vado to fit the bill for my purposes (that's available in the U.S.).
Unless you really WANT to spend $4K+ for your e-bike there is no actual need to get it from Trek. Suspension fork models are actually very plentiful in the Class 3 sector. A Juiced Bikes CrossCurrentX will have a suspension fork and is more likely to hit 28mph than an Allant+. It is $2500, the Allant is $4200 and that price is not going down for at least a year. As downright attractive as the Allant is, I really can't afford it and at the end of the day it doesn't really do anything that a Raleigh Redux IE or Giant Quick E+ can for $1000 less. That said, the real ticket to honest Class 3 performance (and $$$ savings to boot) is to add an e-assist kit to an existing bike. An e-assist motor in the $500 to $1000 range will rip the lungs out of anything sold by the Big 3 commercial companies without even trying hard.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 02-17-20 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 09:36 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Unless you really WANT to spend $4K+ for your e-bike there is no actual need to get it from Trek. Suspension fork models are actually very plentiful in the Class 3 sector. A Juiced Bikes CrossCurrentX will have a suspension fork and is more likely to hit 28mph than an Allant+. It is $2500, the Allant is $4200 and that price is not going down for at least a year. As downright attractive as the Allant is, I really can't afford it and at the end of the day it doesn't really do anything that a Raleigh Redux IE or Giant Quick E+ can for $1000 less. That said, the real ticket to honest Class 3 performance (and $$$ savings to boot) is to add an e-assist kit to an existing bike. An e-assist motor in the $500 to $1000 range will rip the lungs out of anything sold by the Big 3 commercial companies without even trying hard.
If I were about 20 years younger I'm sure I'd rise to the challenge, but that was then...
Likes For DougG:
Old 02-21-20, 12:18 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
DougG + 1.Be Well, Bluesfrog
Old 02-26-20, 03:03 PM
Leisesturm

I hear both of you. I am on the wrong side of 60 myself, and with failing eyesight to boot, but I'm going to have an e-bike by gum, and it's going to haul or it isn't worth the hassle. So I may just have to get greasy. I've been two timing BF on a dedicated e-bike forum and another rider did this to a Raleigh Kodiak IE. Would that work for you Doug? They are $1k cheaper now. About the limit of what I want to spend. Current plan (it changes daily) is to start with this, add the usual fenders, rack, lights, etc and then the piece de resistance. Total cost should not exceed $2500 and don't ask about the top speed. Also in the unmentionable in polite company category: most Class 1 bikes being sold can be <cough> unlocked ... jailbroken ... whatever term you want to use for it. Pick a Class 1 bike you like for its looks, capabilities, whatever, and for an additional ~$200 get a 'tuning kit' to make it Class 3. If already Class 3 ... woo hoo ...