Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hit and run accident. What insurance covers you?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 03:38 AM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts

If you are riding and are involved in a hit and run accident what insurance covers you and what covers your bike and other personal property?

thanks
Old 02-04-20, 04:23 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Is this hypothetical or actual?
If you have health insurance, then that should cover a portion of your medical expenses based on your plan.

It never hurts to ask your auto insurance company if "uninsured motorist" insurance extends to a bike accident.

Homeowners/rental/umbrella policies? These might also help with property damage.

There are bike specific insurance policies. I'm not a big fan of them, but they are worth looking into.
Old 02-04-20, 06:52 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I had a hit and run in Ct. I was fully covered by my auto insurance - ambulance, hospital, therapy. Although it was explained to me, I never really understood why I wouldn't use medical insurance. Interestingly, the hospital tried to put it through my medical who contacted me. Coverage wasn't considered an accident for rate purposes.
Old 02-04-20, 08:07 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
In Florida, you would be covered by your auto uninsured motorist coverage.

I believe you will find the same result in most states.

As suggested above, easy answer is call your insurance agent.

also reading your policy wouldn’t be a bad idea
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 02-04-20, 08:10 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P
. Although it was explained to me, I never really understood why I wouldn't use medical insurance.
it’s a question of which coverage is primary. Had you’re medical insurance paid, then they would have surrogated against the auto policy.

And it likely worked out to your benefit, given that your health insurance likely has deductibles and co pays, whereas uninsured motorist coverage should not be subject to a deductible
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 02-04-20, 09:53 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I've had two bicycle accidents that were hit and runs that landed in me in the hospital. Both times, my auto insurance covered it, not my health insurance.

So first step would be call your auto insurance and ask.

If you don't have auto insurance, check with your healthcare provider. They will likely cover medical, but you'll still have deductibles. Medical won't do anything to replace a bike though, so if you want that covered as well, I'd recommend velosurance.com.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-04-20, 10:10 AM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Old 02-05-20, 10:45 PM
SClaraPokeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
The bike lawyer who had a column in Velonews a number of years ago advised that everyone should make sure their uninsured motorist coverage is at the highest level you can get (mine is $500K). He did explain that a bicyclist hit by a un- or underinsured motorist should be covered by it.

of course even $500K coverage could be quickly subsumed in a severe accident--which is where hopefully your medical policy would step in.

If I'm hit by a car, my bicycle is the least of my concerns--cheap and easy to replace.
Likes For SClaraPokeman:
Old 02-06-20, 12:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Quite interesting, everyone. I don't drive much (a bit over 6,736 miles since mid-July, 2016) so I don't pay much attention to auto coverage other than making sure I have good coverage to protect me. I had no idea that auto coverage would step in if I were ever in a hit and run while cycling.
Old 02-06-20, 05:18 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts

My neighbor and good friend, and sometimes a riding group member, tennis and golf pal, is retired attorney. His view on this subject is that you ALWAYS want to discuss the situation with a TRIAL ATTORNEY, not simply those Lawyers who mighthave cool, fancy tv jingles and non stop local tv ads---------------------you WANT a
TRIAL ATTORNEY------------------------there is a difference as he states to anyone that will listen, "Some of those jokers (attorneys) simply want any easy settlement with minimal effort from the firm, so it is over and done quickly..(...so they get their third, and move on as it's a numbers game mostly for them). His opinion is that the INSURANCE COMPANIES know who they are dealing with and can easily get the upper hand with the non trial attorneys that the insurance companies know will not be a threat to take them to court if necessary.................thus minimal or settlements that are typically a fraction of what they likely would be with a certified trial attorney (yes, there is an association of trial lawyers...).....................it won't cost you any more (contingency basis ) and the trial attorneys typically routinely get substantially more of a settlement from insurance companies than non-trial attorneys do...................you should not forget that...
I know that the Hawk group folks host a live weekly television viewer call in show called LAW CALL, and they often mention this distiction about TRIAL LAWYERS, as their firm is made up of entirely trial lawyers.
Too often folks stereotype and villify the legal community when in fact they do the best in protecting their client's rights. Never underestimate this because you might need them to work on your behalf someday too. There are just so many things that they can get accomplished, much more easily than you as an inexperienced, ordinary citizen can do. There are time windows and other specifics that can be critical and many of these vary somewhat from state to state, such that you do need to discuss this with a Trial Attorney who currently practices in that particular state.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 02-10-20, 08:37 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
In Florida, you would be covered by your auto uninsured motorist coverage.

I believe you will find the same result in most states.

As suggested above, easy answer is call your insurance agent.

also reading your policy wouldn’t be a bad idea
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
it’s a question of which coverage is primary. Had you’re medical insurance paid, then they would have surrogated against the auto policy.

And it likely worked out to your benefit, given that your health insurance likely has deductibles and co pays, whereas uninsured motorist coverage should not be subject to a deductible
^This is how it was explained by a lawyer to our group. If you don't have uninsured motorist, your health insurance will cover the healthcare portion, but health insurance will not cover lost wages, pain and suffering, things of that nature.
Old 02-10-20, 12:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Somewhat dated as this was in 2011, but some things worth considering and asking............... https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/05/...it-by-car.html
Old 02-17-20, 12:02 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
My bike accident was not a H&R but me crashing into rider ahead paceline when car came into our lane and biker friend slammed on brakes car never stopped. I flew off bike, small broken neck/collar bone other things, bike was OK. As has been mentioned, I collected on Auto.
Old 02-18-20, 01:07 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
What if you are a car free cyclist and have no auto insurance?
Old 02-18-20, 01:20 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Look into non-owner auto insurance, which may cover damages to you by a hit and run driver (presumed uninsured or at least uncollectable).
And look into homeowner's or renter's insurance which may cover you if YOU were to hurt someone while riding your bike.

But maybe talk to the folks who've seen a thing or two (or the ones with the lizard, or the ones with hands, or the ones with....)

-mr. bill
Old 02-18-20, 02:48 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
If you are riding and are involved in a hit and run accident what insurance covers you and what covers your bike and other personal property?

thanks
My auto insurance plus a $1M uninsured motorist option on my umbrella policy.
Old 02-18-20, 03:17 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Your health insurance will cover medical, but you'd be SOL for replacing your bike. I speak from experience.
Old 02-18-20, 06:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
You could buy a new bicycle with the money from your large monetary nest egg accumulated by not having any car expenses; at least that is the financial story I learned on the LCF list.
Old 02-18-20, 07:15 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Look into non-owner auto insurance, which may cover damages to you by a hit and run driver (presumed uninsured or at least uncollectable).
And look into homeowner's or renter's insurance which may cover you if YOU were to hurt someone while riding your bike.

But maybe talk to the folks who've seen a thing or two (or the ones with the lizard, or the ones with hands, or the ones with....)

-mr. bill
Ironic, even if you don't have a car, you need "auto insurance" to protect you from other drivers.
Old 02-18-20, 07:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Thanks for this thread. My wife owns two cars, and I own none. I'll check with the policy to see if it covers me when I'm not driving. Probably not. Then I'll look into non-owners' insurance.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-19-20, 12:42 AM
dudeliving

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
From what I know my bike won't be covered but part of my plan is hospitalization bills in case of road accidents and this includes me riding my bike. I just need to have a proof that it was not intentional and not because of my dumb mistake.
Old 02-19-20, 08:10 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Thanks for this thread. My wife owns two cars, and I own none. I'll check with the policy to see if it covers me when I'm not driving. Probably not. Then I'll look into non-owners' insurance.
It's been a while since I lived in New York State, but in order to register the two cars you must have insurance, and all* licensed drivers in a household* must be disclosed and covered. New York State doesn't allow excluded drivers for liability, but in rare cases allows excluded drivers for collision damage of the registered vehicle. Do triple check with your insurer, but unless you've taken rare, affirmative action to exclude yourself....

-mr. bill

* "all" and "household" are family members (even extended) living in the same housing unit, or long term guests. (Things get far more complicated around unrelated individuals sharing housing unit, especially if a roomate occasionally or frequently borrows your car. And another layer of complexity with family members living under the same roof but in different units.)
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-19-20, 09:57 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I believe my home insurance would cover for my bike, and my provincial DMV department would cover for any injuries & health expenses not covered by our health insurance system.

Note that coverage is different here in Canada from a province to another.

Last edited by eduskator; 02-19-20 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-04-20, 09:50 AM
alexsandro22

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I know you can use bike insurance policies. I've used it several times during my trip in high. Anyway it's much more important and effective to visit traffic control courses or smth like that, by the way they also can give you a sertificate you can use for futher insurance.