Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Help needed to choose a GPS computer for a very specific feature

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 04:49 AM
rebayona

Bikes: Maria Casquitos: 15" MTB 26" frame+ 8spd Alivio 2007 groupset. 48TT CR. Celestina: 16" MTB tandem frame with Shimano Alivio 2014 groupset, 48TT CR. Greta: tailored steel road frame (Duarte) with Sora 9spd groupset, Mavic Kysrium SL SSC WS 50-34/28-11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I've been using bicycles to commute for the last 26 years, using standard wired computers like Avocet, Cateye and my current one it's a Sigma, which it's getting close to 100K km today. I also use Strava on a daily basis. Now I'm building a road bicycle to ride GFs so I guess it's time to get a serious computer with GPS and HRM.

What do I look on a bicycle computer? What do I need it for?
Mainly for Data. Non negotiables are:
- route data. I don't really care for navigation (turn left/right) but would really love to have information regarding my actual route: "you're 5km to summit and current slope is 7%". That's what I really want to know.
Strava connection. Live segments would be nice, but as a nice to have.
Also HRM, cadence and altitude are a must have, but I guess all of them have them so my choice will go for the one who solves my "5km to summit" need.
I don't really mind if screen has color, touchscreen or its size. I'm looking for something on the $100-$150 (just the unit) range.
I've been researching a lot and have this (not so) shortlist:

-Bryton 420.
Pros: price, it has all the features but can't find the final answer to my "5 km to summit" question no matter how many videos or reviews I read. Breadcrumbs seem to do the trick, but not sure about the other info I'm looking for
Cons: mainly, that unaswered question it's the one stopping me from buying it.
-Garmin edge 520.
Pros: development, support, it seems to have all I want but still not certain about the route question either.
Cons: mainly its price.
-Lezyne Mega
Pros: innovative features like Strava live segments.
Cons: not a fan of the UI. Need to learn more about development and support, just discovered it last Friday
-IGPsport 618
Pros: price. Simple and nice features. Claims to graph route, looks neat but still yet to seen live
Cons: looks a little sketchy, reminds me of Xoss.
-Wahoo Elemnt Bolt
Pros: nice ui interface, development, features. It seems to do what I want as well but not certain either.
Cons: pricey. Out of my budget, but I love it.
-Strava
I'm aware distance and speed readings might have errors using cellphones, but still uncertain if you really need a head unit or if a cellphone can do the trick.

my first choice was xoss sprint, but looks like it's still very green and small, so I discarded it, mainly for its software development and support.

​​​​​​What I want from you is answers from your experience regarding my concerns or questions. Can you help me?

Last edited by rebayona; 03-02-20 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-02-20, 04:54 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
The Garmin Edges (at least 5xx-series and above) have a Cue Sheet screen that is available when you are following a route with turn-by-turn instructions. The distance to each point is updated in real time, so you can always check how far you are from each upcoming turn. If you use RideWithGPS to add points (like water stations, summit, etc) to the route, these will also show up on the Cue Sheet.
Old 03-02-20, 05:36 AM
rebayona

Bikes: Maria Casquitos: 15" MTB 26" frame+ 8spd Alivio 2007 groupset. 48TT CR. Celestina: 16" MTB tandem frame with Shimano Alivio 2014 groupset, 48TT CR. Greta: tailored steel road frame (Duarte) with Sora 9spd groupset, Mavic Kysrium SL SSC WS 50-34/28-11

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
The Garmin Edges (at least 5xx-series and above) have a Cue Sheet screen that is available when you are following a route with turn-by-turn instructions. The distance to each point is updated in real time, so you can always check how far you are from each upcoming turn. If you use RideWithGPS to add points (like water stations, summit, etc) to the route, these will also show up on the Cue Sheet.
that sounds great, thanks for sharing. Do you have screenshots of that? I wonder how that looks on screen.
Old 03-02-20, 05:49 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by rebayona
that sounds great, thanks for sharing. Do you have screenshots of that? I wonder how that looks on screen.
Fast forward to 25 minutes, 31 seconds in this video to see what it looks like on an Edge 1030:
Spoiler

The "time" on the right side of each cue sheet entry is an ETA based on your speed (not exactly sure how they calculate it)... but at the start when you haven't moved much the numbers are pretty much gibberish since there isn't enough data to estimate anything.

On a smaller, non-touch screen device like a 520 the layout is similar, just smaller and you use the push buttons by the side of the device to scroll through the list.

Last edited by atwl77; 03-02-20 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-02-20, 06:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
the Garmin 530 has climbpro, which tells you how far to the top of each hill over a given height https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...1A40302A9.html
Old 03-02-20, 07:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
the Garmin 530 has climbpro, which tells you how far to the top of each hill over a given height https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...1A40302A9.html
And I think it will show an elevation profile - basically a line map. But the OP should note that the price is above his range.
Old 03-02-20, 08:15 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
All of the GPS units that have any kind of "upcoming climb" feature are well above the OP's price range: Garmin 530/830/1030, Wahoo Elemnt Bolt/Roam, Hammerhead Karoo, Stages Dash L50/M50.

The Bolt is the cheapest on that list, as it can be found for around $200USD right now.

As to the usefulness of upcoming climb, I can't speculate-- it's been on my past two computers, and I've never used it once.
Old 03-02-20, 09:44 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Garmin Edge 520 should work for all those features. Since people are upgrading to the 530 or other newer models you can find used ones on EBay for around $100.

I use RidewithGPS and create my routes there to download to my Garmin. I add my own custom markers to the cue sheet like “climb starts here” or “1/2 to summit, you can do it!!!” or “dirt road ahead” that display on screen.
Old 03-02-20, 10:23 AM
rebayona

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
And I think it will show an elevation profile - basically a line map. But the OP should note that the price is above his range.
noted. I've spent much more than expected on this, but I'm open to find a good deal on a used one. Thanks for letting me know

Originally Posted by unterhausen
That's great, wonder if the 520 has it too?

Originally Posted by atwl77
Fast forward to 25 minutes, 31 seconds in this video to see what it looks like on an Edge 1030:

The "time" on the right side of each cue sheet entry is an ETA based on your speed (not exactly sure how they calculate it)... but at the start when you haven't moved much the numbers are pretty much gibberish since there isn't enough data to estimate anything.

On a smaller, non-touch screen device like a 520 the layout is similar, just smaller and you use the push buttons by the side of the device to scroll through the list.
Thank you, just watched it. I was expecting something more straightforward, like Wahoo or even iGPSport does, that was very useful.

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Garmin Edge 520 should work for all those features. Since people are upgrading to the 530 or other newer models you can find used ones on EBay for around $100.

I use RidewithGPS and create my routes there to download to my Garmin. I add my own custom markers to the cue sheet like “climb starts here” or “1/2 to summit, you can do it!!!” or “dirt road ahead” that display on screen.
Thanks for the tips, will do something like that.
I have an open eye on ebay, no bargains yet. Just realized I lost a really good one in this forum for the Wahoo

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
All of the GPS units that have any kind of "upcoming climb" feature are well above the OP's price range: Garmin 530/830/1030, Wahoo Elemnt Bolt/Roam, Hammerhead Karoo, Stages Dash L50/M50.

The Bolt is the cheapest on that list, as it can be found for around $200USD right now.

As to the usefulness of upcoming climb, I can't speculate-- it's been on my past two computers, and I've never used it once.
I'm aware it is a very specific feature, but I'm sure it's something I want to use.

Really need a Bryton 420 user able to confirm/deny if this is possible with it.
Old 03-02-20, 12:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've been using bicycles to commute for the last 26 years, using standard wired computers like Avocet, Cateye and my current one it's a Sigma, which it's getting close to 100K km today. I also use Strava on a daily basis. Now I'm building a road bicycle to ride GFs so I guess it's time to get a serious computer with GPS and HRM.

What do I look on a bicycle computer? What do I need it for?
Mainly for Data. Non negotiables are:
- route data. I don't really care for navigation (turn left/right) but would really love to have information regarding my actual route: "you're 5km to summit and current slope is 7%". That's what I really want to know.
Strava connection. Live segments would be nice, but as a nice to have.
Also HRM, cadence and altitude are a must have, but I guess all of them have them so my choice will go for the one who solves my "5km to summit" need.
I don't really mind if screen has color, touchscreen or its size. I'm looking for something on the $100-$150 (just the unit) range.
I've been researching a lot and have this (not so) shortlist:

-Bryton 420.
Pros: price, it has all the features but can't find the final answer to my "5 km to summit" question no matter how many videos or reviews I read. Breadcrumbs seem to do the trick, but not sure about the other info I'm looking for
Cons: mainly, that unaswered question it's the one stopping me from buying it.
-Garmin edge 520.
Pros: development, support, it seems to have all I want but still not certain about the route question either.
Cons: mainly its price.
-Lezyne Mega
Pros: innovative features like Strava live segments.
Cons: not a fan of the UI. Need to learn more about development and support, just discovered it last Friday
-IGPsport 618
Pros: price. Simple and nice features. Claims to graph route, looks neat but still yet to seen live
Cons: looks a little sketchy, reminds me of Xoss.
-Wahoo Elemnt Bolt
Pros: nice ui interface, development, features. It seems to do what I want as well but not certain either.
Cons: pricey. Out of my budget, but I love it.
-Strava
I'm aware distance and speed readings might have errors using cellphones, but still uncertain if you really need a head unit or if a cellphone can do the trick.

my first choice was xoss sprint, but looks like it's still very green and small, so I discarded it, mainly for its software development and support.

​​​​​​What I want from you is answers from your experience regarding my concerns or questions. Can you help me?
​​​​​​Didn't Garmin come up with live Strava segments before anyone else? I don't think that's a sign of Lezyne innovation?
Old 03-02-20, 02:58 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
That's great, wonder if the 520 has it too?
I don't think so.
Old 03-02-20, 03:05 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Add to Cue Sheet feature on RideWithGPS has been a premium feature for a while now.
Old 03-02-20, 08:31 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I don't think so.

your correct the 520 does not.

I just got the 1030 and it really awesome. Had the 520 for a long time and it was a very good unit but the 1030 is simply awesome!
Old 03-02-20, 10:39 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
Add to Cue Sheet feature on RideWithGPS has been a premium feature for a while now.
Also so are my other favorite features: trace ride to route and estimated ride times
You can always batch your route work and go premium for a month, download all your new routes and updates and call it good.
Old 03-03-20, 07:28 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
If you up the budget by $50 you can get a new Wahoo Bolt in pink for $200

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...hoC7nEQAvD_BwE

Or a Garmin 520 new for $210

https://mybikeshop.com/products/garm...hoCfNIQAvD_BwE
Old 03-05-20, 03:22 AM
VC CYCLE

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also check RIDEIWAKE RS33. It is a new brand, they combining headlight and GPS, no navigation.
Old 03-09-20, 05:03 PM
rebayona

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
If you up the budget by $50 you can get a new Wahoo Bolt in pink for $200

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...hoC7nEQAvD_BwE

Or a Garmin 520 new for $210

https://mybikeshop.com/products/garm...hoCfNIQAvD_BwE
I ended buying an used 520 for $140. Looks like a good deal, let's wait until it arrives. Thanks for your suggestion

Originally Posted by VC CYCLE
You can also check RIDEIWAKE RS33. It is a new brand, they combining headlight and GPS, no navigation.
Looks interesting, thanks for your input!
Likes For rebayona:
Old 03-10-20, 01:11 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I ended buying an used 520 for $140. Looks like a good deal, let's wait until it arrives.
the 520 is a solid unit with a good reputation. You will be pleased with it I bet!