Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin 1030 on sale everywhere

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin 1030 on sale everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 05:02 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

Only one unit has been discounted. The oldest model too.
And it's likely their highest margin unit with the most room to discount and stay profitable. Also, it's their most expensive unit so higher inventory cost. It they don't have many units of the others and it doesn't come to a lot of inventory dollars, then no need to do it. It's all conjecture anyhow because only Garmin knows and they're not going to tell us.

Anyhow, so what?
Old 03-16-20, 05:09 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
And it's likely their highest margin unit with the most room to discount and stay profitable. Also, it's their most expensive unit so higher inventory cost. It they don't have many units of the others and it doesn't come to a lot of inventory dollars, then no need to do it.
You are contradicting yourself. If they were "trying to blow out inventory and increase cash reserves as fast as fast as they can", they wouldn't being doing that for just one model.

It's all conjecture anyhow because only Garmin knows and they're not going to tell us.

Anyhow, so what?
So, you are saying your comments are pointless and that you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 03-16-20, 05:51 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
???

Only one unit has been discounted. The oldest model too.

If your hypothesis was the case, they'd be dropping prices on a bunch of things.
the 130 was on sale too I thought?
Old 03-16-20, 07:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
You are contradicting yourself. If they were "trying to blow out inventory and increase cash reserves as fast as fast as they can", they wouldn't being doing that for just one model.

So, you are saying your comments are pointless and that you have no idea what you are talking about.
And you are so nice about it !
Old 03-16-20, 09:18 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
no, I was politely saying you argue for the sake of arguing and I don’t really care what you think. That’s all. But you asked and there it is.
Old 03-17-20, 10:27 AM
njkayaker

no, I was politely saying you argue for the sake of arguing and I don’t really care what you think. That’s all. But you asked and there it is.
What you said didn't make any sense. That's not my fault.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-17-20 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 10:34 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
And you are so nice about it !
It's what he said about my comments but "nicer" (it wasn't actually "nice"; you just didn't notice). I was pointing out it works both ways. Keep policing tone instead of discussing content.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-17-20 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 10:39 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by sdmc530
the 130 was on sale too I thought?
Yes, it's $50 off at Garmin.

I guess that's Garmin's "highest margin" product too!
Old 03-24-20, 10:35 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
It seems pretty obvious that the successor to the 1030 is about to debut. They're selling the 1030 for the same price as the 830. Have there been any sightings of the actual device?
Old 03-25-20, 12:39 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Is it worthwhile upgrading from a three year old 520 to the 1030? What are the benefits, if any?
Old 03-25-20, 01:04 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Is it worthwhile upgrading from a three year old 520 to the 1030? What are the benefits, if any?
Depends what you use it for. The 1030 is faster and has a better screen. It's much better for navigation than the 520.
Old 03-25-20, 01:21 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Keep calm and wait for the 1040 or whatever the successor to the 1030 is called?
Old 03-25-20, 01:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
If all they do is go with the same processor as the 830, that might be worth waiting for anyway
Old 03-25-20, 04:30 PM
NoWhammies

Cool. Thanks folks.
Old 03-28-20, 01:58 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Prices will continue to fall on the Edge 1030. Regarding waiting for the successor unit, I don't need the latest and greatest; as it is, there are many features on my current Edge 510, which I bought in 2015, which I do not use or need. My main gripe with the Edge 510 is that it is basically worthless for navigation, if one wants to use it for that.
Old 03-28-20, 03:27 PM
NoWhammies

My only thinking in migrating to the 1030 is for the increased battery life. With the Varia attached to my three year old 520, battery life on the 520 is brutal.
Old 04-13-20, 07:27 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
And I am just waiting for bass boats to drop drastically in price....LOL!

That said, I too purchased a 1030. I miss Garmin as it has been my cycling companion for years (actually about two decades). I bought a Acer Xplova X5 Evo and while I like it a lot I miss Garmin. So when the Edge 1030 gets here the Xplova may go on the used market or I may send down the line to my wife or daughter. I may just keep it as a backup also. Decisions decisions...…!
Old 04-14-20, 11:33 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
And I am just waiting for bass boats to drop drastically in price....LOL!
If you are in the US check pricing in Canada. Then run the conversion with the exchange rate (changes daily, but usually not by much). You may be surprised. You will have to pay import duties, but the exchange rate can make enough of a difference. The kicker - if you are not paying cash and need financing very few US banks will lend to a dealer in another country, and you'll likely need a personal loan and not a boat loan. However - the numbers can work in your favor. I've seen it happen and was researching this very idea not too long ago. We have deep roots up there, though, going back to the '40's, so its a different ballgame than just crossing the border to play the exchange game. That isn't to say you can't.

I bought my Edge 1000 on the same "garmin game" - new model coming out so they blew out all the previous generation. It does way more than I was wanting originally, however it was a good buy and I've been relatively happy with it. The more I've used it the more I like it - especially the ride uploads to Strava and the smart notifications. That took me a couple years to get to using, but it is nice to have.
Old 04-16-20, 06:48 PM
Germanrazor

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
If you are in the US check pricing in Canada. Then run the conversion with the exchange rate (changes daily, but usually not by much). You may be surprised. You will have to pay import duties, but the exchange rate can make enough of a difference. The kicker - if you are not paying cash and need financing very few US banks will lend to a dealer in another country, and you'll likely need a personal loan and not a boat loan. However - the numbers can work in your favor. I've seen it happen and was researching this very idea not too long ago. We have deep roots up there, though, going back to the '40's, so its a different ballgame than just crossing the border to play the exchange game. That isn't to say you can't.

I bought my Edge 1000 on the same "garmin game" - new model coming out so they blew out all the previous generation. It does way more than I was wanting originally, however it was a good buy and I've been relatively happy with it. The more I've used it the more I like it - especially the ride uploads to Strava and the smart notifications. That took me a couple years to get to using, but it is nice to have.
Seeing I don't live in Canada but the US I am happy to say not. The financing I have found if you do is done through either the company or a few finance companies that their specialty is considered a luxury over a need.

My 1030 came today and I have set it up. Way more than my last Garmin Edge which the model escapes me but maybe a 705 or model after. I cannot recall but it was easier to navigate for sure. I am sure I will get use to the 1030 as it is my first day with it. I plan on maybe putting it on it's maiden ride tomorrow to test it.
Old 04-16-20, 10:34 PM
NoWhammies

Germanrazor I am interested to see/read/hear your thoughts on the 1030. Thx.
Old 04-17-20, 06:05 AM
Germanrazor

Certainly. I am sure others here who have been riding this computer can chime in. I rode late last year on a Garmin 130 and while it is a great little computer, I found the size lacking in my need and limited data fields I could put up. Plus I like designing courses and sending them to my computer to do turn by turn rides on unfamiliar roads.

I really like my Acer Xplova Evo X5 which they have great promise. I just find that Garmin has a more intuitive feel to it. I think I will hand down the Xplova to my wife for her bike as it is a nice system. However, you never know if Acer will stay in the game.

Hopefully the 1030 will give me the edge I need < no pun intended.
Old 04-17-20, 06:47 AM
Germanrazor

My only thinking in migrating to the 1030 is for the increased battery life. With the Varia attached to my three year old 520, battery life on the 520 is brutal.
I know the Varia is a nice setup and all but have you seen the Vya Smart Taillight system? I use this and it is motion activated and really a step up from most lights on the market. Check them out as a much cheaper alternative if money saved is a consideration.

https://www.lightandmotion.com/product-category/vya
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 04-20-20, 08:23 AM
Germanrazor

Well the first ride on the 1030 was a very quick 10 miler to check it out. The only issue I had and it was not the fault of the 1030 but the inerrant read from my garmin HRM on my watch sending to my Edge. Once I got 3 miles into the ride it came back to a normal what I know HR for my usual ride.

As to the fields of display and analyzation of the ride, I liked the output and all. I just wished I could get the VO2 without the costly investment into the Garmin pedals for assisting as a variable I think which is needed to calculate.

But there will be those who argue it is not accurate. I know that but it does give you a ballpark of the measurement. We all know nothing beats a true VO2 test but us weekend warriors have no real need to have that performed nor would it be cheap to do I assume. No more than a chest strap or wrist monitor for HR is as accurate as taking your pulse over 60 seconds. But you can't do that constantly on a ride either. We use these extra sensors to give us ballpark waypoints only.

So to the Edge, more rides will tell, but the maiden voyage was good. I like that I have grade calculation again as I like to see what % some of my hills are.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 04-20-20, 10:13 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I liked the output and all. I just wished I could get the VO2 without the costly investment into the Garmin pedals for assisting as a variable I think which is needed to calculate.
You don't necessarily need Garmin pedals for this. My Edge 830 with my Favero Assioma pedals reports VO2 Max. I think any power meter will work. But none of them are inexpensive although for me, once I started riding with power it is one of those things I wouldn't want to give up. I find it very useful.

And while certainly not to the level of a clinical VO2 max test from the little I've read it does appear to be reasonably accurate.
Likes For August West:
Old 04-20-20, 01:31 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have a powertap now Quarq power meter and it works fine. You don't NEED the gamin PM.....I would actually buy the Garmin PM but no shimano pedal interface so nope.
Likes For sdmc530:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.