Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Different Pedals

Old 04-04-20, 10:08 AM
pwhite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Different Pedals

I would like to know from experienced riders if changing the pedals on a bike will make a difference? One bike of mine in particular I am not sure if I should or should just leave the pedals alone but I'll be riding in the winter with this bike and it has plastic pedals right now.
Old 04-04-20, 12:26 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Can you clarify what you mean by "make a difference"?

The bottom line is it's your bike so you are the only person in the whole world that bike has to make happy. It's only pedals. If you think for any reason you might like to change, all you've got to lose is the cost of the replacement pedals. Worst thing that can happen is you'll hate them and even then you will have learned that those particular pedals aren't for you.

For what it's worth, since I switched to SPD style lipless pedals I've not wanted to use anything else for rides of more than a couple of miles or so. But you know what? Not everybody likes SPDs so your personal preference might be different.
Old 04-04-20, 02:51 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Yes. Bikes come with cheap pedals. I like bigger pedals for a bigger footprint.

Old 04-04-20, 02:53 PM
Gconan

Old 04-04-20, 02:53 PM
Gconan

Old 04-04-20, 02:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Upgrading pedals will usually make a big difference. Higher quality pedals will be using sealed bearings (or really nice loose ball bearings and polished races) and higher quality bushings, In terms of flat pedals they are likely to have replaceable pins and a thinner profile and in many cases sizes for different feet. They are also likely to be one piece bodies of metal rather than plastic (though sometimes plastic pedals can be useful for certain things). In terms of clipless pedals they might be lighter or have adjustment for tension and again use higher quality bearings, Pedals might also have different axle lengths to accommodate different riders and positions and generally higher quality pedals are likely to be more durable.

If you are riding a bike with plastic test ride pedals that came with it most likely those are due for an upgrade right away. They are basically more or less a disposable item designed to allow you to test ride the bike. Touch points on a bike are quite personal and upgrading them to something that works well for you is important. Most manufacturers are trying to keep it more or less neutral or cheap as possible because they figure you might upgrade anyway. Some do upgrade certain things but many do not.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-04-20, 03:41 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by pwhite
I would like to know from experienced riders if changing the pedals on a bike will make a difference ...
Myself, I have relatively smaller feet (shoes) but prefer wider, larger pedals. Contemporary "platform" pedals (where you don't clip in) generally have a set of raised "spikes" that grip the bottom of your shoes. I went for a set of these (the Odyssey Grandstand alloy pedal), with a ~4x4" surface. Not the lightest units on the block, but they grip reasonably well without tearing up the shoes, and are large enough to provide a very solid platform for basic cycling. (My own preference is for such pedals, not the clip-in types, but that's me.) Works with my various "street" shoes without chewing up the soles of my shoes. Grippy enough in inclement weather.

Of course, as others have suggested, only you can know what's "right" for you. Depends on what you're looking for in a pedal.
Old 04-04-20, 04:10 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
The lowest common denominator which sets good pedals apart from bad ones is the bearings. The pedals I prefer look cheap, with rubber blocks and no pins, and use loose-ball bearings, but they are serviceable and spin very well.
Old 04-04-20, 10:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
iSSi platform pedals are really good values. I've had a pair of iSSi Thump with molded plastic pins for several months on my hybrid. No problems or complaints. Large platform, great with boots, and slightly concave surface that feels more secure and ergonomically friendly.
Old 04-05-20, 05:38 AM
pwhite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-06-20, 10:18 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
For a budget upgrade, I like the plastic-bodied BMX pedals like the Animal 'Hamilton' or Odyssey 'Twisted'
Light-ish, decent grip, and serviceable bearings. You can find them all day long for $20, sometimes as low as $10, if you don't mind funky colors, although the plain black are good if you're trying to keep the bike low-key.

Old 04-07-20, 02:50 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Yes. Bikes come with cheap pedals. I like bigger pedals for a bigger footprint.

Sorry, I'm not bying it. I spent several years of my childhood/adolescence pushing the pedals with the arch of my foot (mostly because the pedals that were available to me at the time didn't offer much grip and so that was the safest position to prevent slippage). Once I changed my riding style to pushing the pedals with the ball of my foot, there was a notable difference - I felt I could get more power down and it was overall more comfortable, and not only because of the load distribution on my feet, but also due to better engagement of lower leg muscles.

Our feet and legs are "designed" so that the load bearing part is the ball of the foot and the heel, hence this style of pedal would have to be long enough to extend past both to be effective - basically a whole sole.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 04-07-20, 03:10 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
The proper placement of the foot on the pedal is with the ball/joint of the big toe centered on the axle of the pedal.
Not sure what this company is promoting, but this positioning would not be comfortable nor efficient on a any ride
and could lead to discomfort or problems on a longer ride.

If you look at cycling shoes that accept cleats for clipless pedal, there would be no way to achieve what they
are suggesting or promoting.
Old 04-07-20, 05:54 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
There’s actually plenty of info out there about mid-foot pedaling. To the extent of people bodging their cleats into the midfoot position on their shoes. It’s most popular with triathletes and long-range time trial types, where the idea is to stick with a steady-state seated pedaling position.

Not really relevant to this thread, though. For a recreational cyclist, it’s probably best to stick to the tried and proven ball of the foot style, and to ride whatever pedal is comfortable.
Old 04-07-20, 06:05 AM
Gconan

For me, they are the most comfortable pedals (flat) on this planet. They have the biggest platform and support my weight well. Standing on them or with the seat post out of the way there is no better support for your feet no matter where you place them. You can push with whatever part of the foot you want. You are not limited to only using one part of your foot. To have as much foot on the pedal is better for me. Even my SPD's on my road and gravel bikes have bigger platforms to support more of your foot. Far better than "standard" sized SPD.

Old 04-07-20, 06:26 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by subgrade
Sorry, I'm not bying it. I spent several years of my childhood/adolescence pushing the pedals with the arch of my foot (mostly because the pedals that were available to me at the time didn't offer much grip and so that was the safest position to prevent slippage). Once I changed my riding style to pushing the pedals with the ball of my foot, there was a notable difference - I felt I could get more power down and it was overall more comfortable, and not only because of the load distribution on my feet, but also due to better engagement of lower leg muscles.
Agreed. I'd like to see some empirical justification for the claim of increased "efficiency" in placing the pedal axle under the arch of the foot. If it were true, you'd have to wonder why professional bike racers still all use pedals that position the ball of their foot over the pedal axle. I suspect it's more of a "personal comfort" type thing, like the crank-forward frame designs.
Old 04-07-20, 06:52 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I question the claim about its supposed effects on the arch. As someone who has plantar issues, which are affected by the arch, there is a lot to be said about good arch support. A long pedal without any arch support in the shoes will put full load on the arch, rather than allowing it to flex naturally. Additionally, the ankle will have to flex as the pedal moves, so their claim there is bunk as well. I would put more stock on (at least a flat pedal) the wider width than the length, as the entire metatarsal would be supported.
Old 04-07-20, 09:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Best deal in cycling--foolproof, just don't put the back of you calf against them:

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...rm-pedals-2019

And such pretty colors!