Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to bike, but in need of quality

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 05:37 PM
sonomacounty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!

By test riding im finding that riding a bike with a carbon frame is much easier.
i have a few injuries, so i need a good quality bike.
Can anyone tell me the difference between a canyon roadlite, canyon grail or trek fx 5 sport?
I just want to ride about it nor cal comfortabley on the roads without leg pain. thanks.
Old 04-04-20, 06:04 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by sonomacounty
Hi!

By test riding im finding that riding a bike with a carbon frame is much easier.
Can anyone tell me the difference between a canyon roadlite, canyon grail or trek fx 5 sport?
I just want to ride about it nor cal comfortabley on the roads without leg pain. thanks.
I am pretty sure the grail will cause the most leg pain. Titanium is the least leg painful frame material.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-04-20, 07:14 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Hi, welcome to bikeforums. It would be easier to answer your question if you could provide more information about your physical condition. What is the nature of your injuries?

It doesn't necessarily follow that a good quality bike would aggravate your injuries less than a poor quality bike. You say that you have found that riding a carbon frame is easier. I am going to infer that since carbon frames tend to be lighter than frames of other materials, that it is the force required to pedal that aggravates your injuries. If this is the case, any bike can be made to require less force to ride with lower gearing.

Of the three bikes you mentioned, two are straight bar hybrids, and one is a drop bar gravel bike. Straight bar and drop bar bikes require significantly different upper body positions, although the leg position would probably be similar.

Pending further information from you, I will say that for your stated goal of riding comfortably, it is most important to test ride any bikes in consideration. If a bike feels comfortable...it's comfortable...regardless of price, perceived quality, or frame material.

And if it is the case that your discomfort increases along with pedaling effort, perhaps an e-assist bike is a better answer. But even then, it is most important to ride any bikes in consideration.

But this is all pending further explanation of your specific situation.
Old 04-04-20, 08:08 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Hi!

FORGET about a specific bike model, that has almost zero to do with whether or not you will experience pain while riding...

Spend $200-400 on a good bike fit! THAT will make a FAR greater difference.
Old 04-04-20, 08:54 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
If you're going to be riding around somewhere with big hills then you really need to consider the practical matter of tires & brakes. You can easily get up to 30 or 40mph downhill in some areas. Make sure your bike is equipped with very good tires & brakes. Lighter bikes are nicer but, there's a diminishing benefit to anything under around 18 pounds. Be good. Have fun. Be safe.
Old 04-04-20, 08:59 PM
sonomacounty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
FORGET about a specific bike model, that has almost zero to do with whether or not you will experience pain while riding...

Spend $200-400 on a good bike fit! THAT will make a FAR greater difference.
Thank you. But Im sorry, like i said, im new, dont i need a bike to start with??
Old 04-04-20, 09:53 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Thank you. But Im sorry, like i said, im new, dont i need a bike to start with??
A good fitter can make recommendations based on frame geometry. Then, set it up perfectly for you based on your personal physiology. So yes, the model can matter, but not in a way anyone on the forum could help you out with.

Last edited by Ross520; 04-04-20 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 10:17 PM
sonomacounty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries. Thanks.

Old 04-04-20, 10:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I disagree with Ross520. Yes, a pro fit is good. But, in the early months and miles of cycling, you adopt a lot. In September, the pro fit that could work very well for you might then not be even rideable or remotely comfortable now. The bike you get now set up to be comfortable you may well have "outgrown" come fall.

My advice? Go to a reputable shop. Have them put you on a lower priced bike and dial in the fit to be a good start now. Ride it all summer. This fall, go to a fitter with your bike so he can see what you've been riding and put into context what you have to say about your experience on it.

Now, if you can afford a carbon bike now and just let it go next fall when the fitter tells you that now you would do much better in "this" bike, go for it. But if the cash isn't that easy to let go of, spend far less on that first bike. (Used can be a great approach.) The big danger of spending big bucks on the first bike is your investment in it. If it turns out to be not-so-great once you understand what a good position is for you on a bike (and had ridden enough that you can comfortably do it), you may well 1) not "hear" that you should be on a different bike or 2) be unwilling to spend again what you just spent. This can lead to years of riding a bike with a substandard fit or simply quitting riding because of it.

Carbon (and ti and high end steel) are very nice but good fit is far more important. And it is a near certainty you will not get it coming in off the street with zero (recent) riding experience.

The approach many of us "take" or "get handed" is starting with a good, sturdy lesser bike, perhaps used steel. Get the bike and fit that works well now. Ride it. Get the fit. OK, now that bike doesn't work quite as well. Fitter's got you shifted a couple of centimeters and to make that work, you have a slightly odd stem. But "this bike over here" (that you never even considered last April) would address all of that nicely. You buy it. It does! You fall in love. Now you are saddled with that lesser bike. But! The weather changes. Your hooked on riding but hate to take this gem in the bad stuff. Again, but! You have a second bike! It fits! Yes, the ride isn't perfect and it looks odd, but it will work just fine to get you through the poor weather 'till next spring.

Ben (Edit: for a typo with unintended meaning change.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-04-20 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 10:40 PM
sonomacounty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Ben Yes, I mean of course, re the guy above, not ben, but the obvious is to get fitted. That is a luxurty in these times. and not a solution from e right now. i just need a place to start and was hoping for a friendly repsonse.
so i am gathering information is all.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I disagree with Ross520. Yes, a pro fit is good. But, in the early months and miles of cycling, you adopt a lot. In September, the pro fit that could work very well for you might then not be even rideable or remotely comfortable now. The bike you get now set up to be comfortable you may well have "outgrown" come fall.

My advice? Go to a reputable shop. Have them put you on a lower priced bike and dial in the fit to be a good start now. Ride it all summer. This fall, go to a fitter with your bike so he can see what you've been riding and put into context what you have to say about your experience on it.

Now, if you can afford a carbon bike now and just let it go next fall when the fitter tells you that now you would do much better in "this" bike, go for it. But if the cash isn't that easy to let go of, spend far less on that first bike. (Used can be a great approach.) The big danger of spending big bucks on the first bike is your investment in it. If it turns out to be not-so-great once you understand what a good position is for you on a bike (and had ridden enough that you can comfortably do it), you may well 1) not "hear" that you should be on a different bike or 2) be unwilling to spend again what you just spent. This can lead to years of riding a bike with a substandard fit or simply quitting riding because of it.

Carbon (and ti and high end steel) are very nice but good fit is far more important. And it is a near certainty you will not get it coming in off the street with zero (recent) riding experience.

The approach many of us "take" or "get handed" is starting with a good, sturdy lesser bike, perhaps used steel. Get the bike and fit that works well now. Ride it. Get the fit. OK, now that bike doesn't work quite as well. Fitter's got you shifted a couple of centimeters and to make that work, you have a slightly odd stem. But "this bike over here" (that you never even considered late April) would address all of that nicely. You buy it. It does! You fall in love. Now you are saddled with that lesser bike. But! The weather changes. Your hooked on riding but hate to take this gem in the bad stuff. Again, but! You have a second bike! It fits! Yes, the ride isn't perfect and it looks odd, but it will work just fine to get you through the poor weather 'till next spring.

Ben
Old 04-05-20, 01:41 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
How old are you?
What is your current level of fitness?
What do you currently do for physical activity?
What kind of riding do you want to do? Where? How far? How often? Recreation or transportation or both?
Do you need to be able to carry stuff?
What is your budget?
Old 04-05-20, 06:55 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Many new riders don't consider bicycle safety enough. Some new riders will take a bad fall on one of their first rides and, totally give up on ever riding again after that. Don't be foolish. Buy a good working bike from a reputable vendor. Get a helmet & safety glasses. Consider protective gloves & knee covers. Buy a couple rechargable safety lights. Learn how to keep tires properly inflated & brakes adjusted. Try to find a social group of rider to help you get started. Take your time. Learn how to ride safely & you will be rewarded with a lifetime of happy memories.