Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Durable bike for a 6"5 400 pound guy

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Durable bike for a 6"5 400 pound guy

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 11:09 AM
Basz

Bikes: Trek 7.3 fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C O N G R A T S ! On the new bike. Post up your thoughts when you get the first miles under your rump.
Old 04-30-11, 11:32 AM
llmercll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely will! Maybe I will post a mini review or something =)

I want to thank everyone for all their help. I would have been blind without you. This community has some of the nicest, caring, and most helpful members of anyplace I've been to. I will definitely be sticking around =)

thanks again everyone!!
Old 05-01-11, 06:36 AM
llmercll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm back =p

I'm actually starting to worry the bike might be too big. I thought this impossible at my height of 6"5, but the inseam and standover height is really confusing me.

I'm not sure if the measurement goes from bottom of scrotum to floor, or bottom of pubic bone to floor. The bike has a 34.5" standover height, and with shoes, from scrotum to floor, my inseam is about 35", which is cutting it really close. From pubic bone to floor it's much better at about 38". This is all with shoes, and would be about an inch shorter without them.

Should I be ok?

The one I got is the XL size. I haven't picked it up yet so I'm just speculating

https://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bike.../hybrid/7200_e
Old 05-01-11, 07:47 AM
Basz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is tall. I'm 6'4" and got fitted to the 20". Your inseam is taller than mine. I read somewhere that you put a book binder side up between your legs push it up about the force of seating pressure binding side up - measure to that point. Let me see if I can find the article and post the link.
Old 05-01-11, 07:50 AM
Basz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the link on Bike Fitting from Bicycling Magazine.
Old 05-01-11, 08:13 AM
llmercll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well using that method I check out fine. About 35" in socks, 36" in shoes. As long as that's ok and doesn't necessarily mean the bike is too big and will cause safety or comfort issues, I have no problem with it.

simply put, my question is whether or not the XL size would be good for my body at 6"5 with the 35" inseam (using the book method). I'm a little paranoid since I wasn't professionally fitted at a LBS, and don't want my $300 investment to give my comfort or safety concerns.

thanks!

Last edited by llmercll; 05-01-11 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-01-11, 09:28 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Standard measurement is from pubic bone to floor, in stocking feet. They recommend standing against a wall and jamming a large book or other right-angled object up there to make it easier to measure from its top, down to the floor. Carefully.
Old 05-01-11, 10:25 AM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
llmercll, this is basically the same bike I ride and it is a great value. Ride the heck out of it and enjoy. The seat that comes on it is ok for a bit, so save your pennies for a better seat later. Congrats on your purchase.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 05-01-11, 12:11 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That actually sounds like the perfect size for you for a road bike. You only want about an inch or so of clearance on a road bike. MTB or cyclocross, most people like a little extra room because of constantly being on and off the bike and it's easier to remount that way...
Old 05-01-11, 12:21 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Looks like a good deal. Congratulations. Probably a better deal than other offers you've received.

Old 05-01-11, 01:55 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by llmercll
Well using that method I check out fine. About 35" in socks, 36" in shoes. As long as that's ok and doesn't necessarily mean the bike is too big and will cause safety or comfort issues, I have no problem with it.

simply put, my question is whether or not the XL size would be good for my body at 6"5 with the 35" inseam (using the book method). I'm a little paranoid since I wasn't professionally fitted at a LBS, and don't want my $300 investment to give my comfort or safety concerns.

thanks!
You'll be fine . Relax, enjoy riding. As you limber up, you'll find that you wany your seat higher. I find that I am now most comfortable with the saddle to crank center line a couple inches shy of my bare feet inseam. Admittedly, my shoes have rather thick soles.

And, due to the Raliegh Venture I bought two years ago from the family owned LBS - I do not trust them with anything to do with bicycles. The bike they sold me was at least two sizes too small, and they rear wheel kept breaking spokes. I solved the latter issue with a wheel from BikePartsUSA with 12 guage spokes, and since then, I have also taught my self to build wheels. The small size issue was solved by a very long seat post, and braces to the rear drop outs. (I bent the first long steel seat post I tried).

Except for the rear wheel, the Venture has been a great bike.
Old 05-01-11, 07:10 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy the 7200. It is a solidly built bike that should serve you well.
Old 05-02-11, 04:59 AM
llmercll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot everyone. I was getting a little nervous after I read about how important fit was and how little consideration I made to that before my purchase (asides from seeing that it was XL, which is assumed was good for me. I'm so big I never never, ever ever, even consider something being too big for me, haha), but I guess I lucked out =)

Most calculators put me at between 24.0" and 24.8", which sounds about perfect for a 25" frame. A few of the calculators mentioned that taller riders might want to add a few centimeters to their calculation (which is how I get 24.8 instead of 24.2 or so), I wonder why that is?

I want to thank everyone again. I cannot wait to get my bike. Just need to find a good date from my seller to pick her up =p
Old 05-02-11, 06:42 AM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats! Ride the heck out of it, you got a great deal. The bikes frame will easily support your weight and you shouldn't have any issues with your front wheel but be prepared for the reality that you may need to replace the rear wheel but in the meantime ride it and see if you have any issues with it.
Old 05-03-11, 07:21 AM
llmercll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought the wheels would be fine on the trek?

thanks
Old 05-03-11, 08:17 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to put you on the spot but all of us Clydes need to keep close attention to wheel maintenance, brake maintenance in fact all maintenance. The Trek 7200 you bought is more durable than most bikes but we put much more force on our bikes than most bikers. We want you to be vigilant not paranoid. Get the good out of what you will have just realize that a bicycle needs attention.
Old 05-03-11, 09:26 AM
magohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought the wheels would be fine on the trek?

thanks
I think the point is as we are heavier riders there is much more of a chance to break a spoke. A lot depends on your style of riding. I ride slow and carefully and avoid pot-holes like the plague. I have a carbon road bike and a Trek Fx - both stock and both on original wheels that have never had a spoke broken and only 2 punctures in close to 3000 miles of riding. Of course, it only takes an unnoticed pot-hole to possibly break a spoke where a lighter rider will glide over it.

I wouldnt worry about the broken spoke until (if) it happens. If I were you, I would be thinking of a local ride that I could ride at least three times a week. I have a seven mile route that I ride at least three times a week. Why only seven miles? Because it is much harder to talk myself out of the ride as it only takes 25 mins and I cant get that cold/wet/hot in such a short time. This is my minimum per week and as I have become more experienced riding I also regularly throw in a 30, 40 or 50 mile ride (usually once per week).

I think for a new rider it is critical that you give yourself a riding schedule that is on the easier side. The classic mistake is to hit the pavement like a typhoon and then quit after a month - hence all the "gently used" bikes for sale out there. My minimalistic approach has worked for me for well over a year now. Yesterday I got back form a nasty 40 mile in wind and rain - the last 10 mile were tough due to the weather/hills but my countless 7 mile training rides had given me a base that allowed me to adjust my riding style (pull it back a bit) to compensate for the weather....

Post a pic when you get your steed - a new bikes arrival is always fun
Old 05-03-11, 09:46 AM
llmercll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah thanks for the replies =)

I do plan on riding smooth, thankfully. Nothing but road. I was told that impact is more likely to cause issues than constant weight. I guess the force of impact can double or triple the pressure on the wheel for a split second, just enough to pop a spoke?

In the event of a popped spoke I can just get it repaired for $15 bucks though. It would be worse if I bent the rims =/

Thanks for clarifying though =)
Old 05-09-11, 09:40 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
In the event of a popped spoke I can just get it repaired for $15 bucks though. It would be worse if I bent the rims =/
You are very fortunate; here in San Jose, it is $25 to $30 to replace a spoke; even with me removing the freewheel/cassette. That caused me to build a simple truing stand, and teach my self how to true wheels, then replace all of the spokes in an existing wheel (after the first one fails, the next will go in less than 100 miles, and so on) with Wheelsmith spokes, and finally build wheels from a hub, a rim and a pile of spokes.
Old 03-29-20, 11:37 AM
MontanaMan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beginner Bike for a big man!

I live in rural Montana and need a hybrid bike that performs well in the mountains, on the trail and on pavement. I don’t want to spend over $500. The only problem is that I’m 6’7” 325 lbs. I can easily find a bike that supports my weight but paired with my height I haven’t found anything yet. I need some recommendations on a bike that would work for me and my area.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-20, 04:03 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I live in rural Montana and need a hybrid bike that performs well in the mountains, on the trail and on pavement. I don’t want to spend over $500. The only problem is that I’m 6’7” 325 lbs. I can easily find a bike that supports my weight but paired with my height I haven’t found anything yet. I need some recommendations on a bike that would work for me and my area.

Thanks in advance!
Might be a better response if you start a new thread this one is 9 years old.

To answer the question look for a used 90s or so xl mtb. Good luck
Likes For wsteve464: