Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon EEZZ

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon EEZZ

Old 12-06-17, 10:50 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 187 Posts
I just took a look at the Dahon USA website. Under Bikes, I see 24 bikes, 19 of which are separately named models, with the remainder being variants of the named models. If I knew nothing about folders and was interested in one, my first thought is wow, all these bikes look eerily similar, where do I start? Choice overload...

I can understand having different models for different markets, you're selling what the locals need and can afford, and that changes by area, economics and local restrictions. But I've never understood Dahon's tendency toward choice overload vs. narrowing the field to maybe a half-dozen models at best. It's like throwing a bunch of bikes against a wall and then seeing what sticks, except it never ends. That effort could be so much better spent in defining why the sales leaders do well, why the sales slackers don't, and how could those same ideas be consolidated to make just a few core models instead of endless models with minor variations.

I, for one, would like to see a really streamlined Dahon product line. Better for the consumer, better for Dahon as far as consolidation, manufacturing, and marketing, and better for the dealers because they don't have to spend their time hashing out tiny differences between models for the consumer. Whether or not it happens, I wish Thor and the gang well, because I don't see the current product line as being sustainable in the long run unless upper management gets the idea that selling a bajillion different models restricts company growth and increases customer frustration. And that's for the world's market leader in folders if memory serves.
Old 12-06-17, 02:30 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
its more like $ 888
Uh, whatever, Thor.
Old 12-06-17, 02:31 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's the plan Bargainguy

slim down the line ....
look for other markets and see if there might be a model which fit the US and than get the same

Right now its crazy..... on the other hand its good for the consumer who knows the differences , he can get a bargain.

I want to get it down to 15 at most...

Than again there are asome pretty cool things happening and I sure want one of those bikes ( oops 16 it is )

lol
Thor
Old 12-06-17, 03:11 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Price drop!!!
Old 12-06-17, 07:28 PM
NJcycles

Bikes: Raleigh, Giant, Dahon etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to get one Dahon EEZZ for my wife too. I do think EEZZ is lightweight enough for her. Cute bike!
Old 12-06-17, 08:01 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Very Light! 21.95 lbs right now on my shipping scale.
Definitely light enough for your wife, and you as well.

I can ship tomorrow if you want
We should have a nice bag available that is fit to this bike very soon also.

https://nomadic.net (search eezz)
As Thor noted $888 (delivered)

Mainly though, wherever you get one, its a really nice bike and packs in a flash.
Fits in nearly every suitcase I have tried it with. Would travel well in the
Origami suitcase/trailer I just got in.

Landis Arnold
Nomadic Inc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2017-12-06 18.52.01 trimmed.jpg (84.8 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by L Arnold; 12-06-17 at 08:04 PM. Reason: more detail
Likes For L Arnold:
Old 12-06-17, 08:50 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
To the point of the End of Year pricing Thor mentioned, it is quite clear that it is a great time to get a Dahon.
Bikes like the EEZZ are very sophisticated, perhaps difficult to make. It is complicated to have a range of bikes where many people buy down-market. In my shop though it is the up-market bikes that tend to go out the door after test rides.

Bikes like the Visc Series are just sweet sweet rides.
I am looking forward to getting stock on the 16 inch Visc SL9. I have one now for myself and I am sure some other folks will like it as much as I do.
Both pack in a suitcase easily, but nothing can touch the Eezz for speed in and out of the fold and the case.

I'll post some pics once I compress them a bit.
Attached Images
20171206_194508_HDR_trimmed.jpg (80.9 KB, 371 views)
20171206_194629_HDR_trimmed.jpg (77.1 KB, 370 views)
20171206_194703_HDR_trimmed.jpg (53.6 KB, 364 views)
2017-12-06 20.14.37_trimmed.jpg (837.4 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by L Arnold; 12-06-17 at 09:37 PM. Reason: photos
Old 12-07-17, 12:28 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you can get visc sl next week :-)
thor
Old 12-07-17, 08:40 PM
superzxq

Bikes: Giant TXC, BMC

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EEZZ is so beautiful. I saw it on an exhibition in Shenzhen and I wanted it so much. But it is beyond my budget. If its price drops, I would buy one immediately.
Old 12-08-17, 08:53 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
I see they didn't click your link : https://www.nycewheels.com/dahon-eezz-d3

The Dahon EEZZ D3 is currently on sale for $699 @NYCeWheels,...
To be fair, Thor's price includes shipping. I presume NYCe's shipped price is still lower than $888, but it's not $699.
Old 12-08-17, 10:11 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
To be fair, Thor's price includes shipping. I presume NYCe's shipped price is still lower than $888, but it's not $699.
With S&H plus tax, the total is $793.00. If you live in NYC it's $762. Still less expensive,...and for some that makes all the difference.
Old 12-08-17, 10:25 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
More like $888
This raises interesting business questions: in the future will ThorUSA-the-national-distributor punish a dealer who undercuts ThorUSA-the-internet-retailer's price? With excess inventory in the warehouse, will ThorUSA-the-internet-dealer undercut ThorUSA-the-national-distributor's local dealers? Time will tell.

Meaning, if you want a Jiffo, Eezz, quix, mu ex, mu sl , mu lt 10 you better get it now, when they are gone there will be no more
I like the EEZZ, but I've always had reservations about the proprietary, narrow range, non-upgradeable three speed derailleur drivetrain with its unique 76mm OLD rear hub.

Perhaps it's because I got good service out of a 30 year old Classic III and have a 9 year old Mu D8 that continues to soldier along, but with the EEZZ/Jiffo's discontinuation in the NA market, I have to wonder what one would do upon finding their 76mmm OLD rear freehub's bearing races pitted in 7~10 years?
Old 12-08-17, 11:14 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Give me an EEZZ with an IGH and I'd buy it,...not with the 76mm OLD. No upgradeability.
Old 12-08-17, 11:55 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by L Arnold
To the point of the End of Year pricing Thor mentioned, it is quite clear that it is a great time to get a Dahon.
Bikes like the EEZZ are very sophisticated, perhaps difficult to make. It is complicated to have a range of bikes where many people buy down-market. In my shop though it is the up-market bikes that tend to go out the door after test rides.

Bikes like the Visc Series are just sweet sweet rides.
I am looking forward to getting stock on the 16 inch Visc SL9. I have one now for myself and I am sure some other folks will like it as much as I do.
Both pack in a suitcase easily, but nothing can touch the Eezz for speed in and out of the fold and the case.

I'll post some pics once I compress them a bit.
Great-looking case you have there!
Old 12-08-17, 12:17 PM
bargainguy

Regarding the EEZZ's 76mm rear hub OLD: This is the price one pays for a compact fold built around a very narrow rear triangle design. In other words, no free lunch here, if you don't like the 3-gear setup, I can't think of a way to change gearing in that narrow a space outside of fitting a different size chainring. Could be wrong, but I don't think spreading the EEZZ's rear triangle is an option, and even if you could, not sure which hub would fit in there.

The Brompton's 110mm rear hub OLD poses similar problems, but there have been ways around that spacing. The Sturmey-Archer X-RF8 is 120mm OLD and has been shoehorned into the Brommie's rear triangle. Other options include spreading the Brommie's rear triangle even farther to accept different hubs, say the Alfine or the Rohloff. Keep in mind any spreading of the rear triangle invalidates the warranty, but this is a risk many Brommie owners are willing to accept.
Old 12-08-17, 12:21 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
Great-looking case you have there!
Great looking Origami Case there! Yes :-)
Old 12-08-17, 12:25 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Give me an EEZZ with an IGH and I'd buy it,...not with the 76mm OLD. No upgradeability.
Realize that the derailleur has a second purpose. It is a chain tensioner. When the bike folds the spread between the Front Sprocket and rear Cogs shortens. The derailleur takes up the slack that would otherwise be created.

The Jifo is a single speed on the same design principal. It requires a separate chain tensioner for that purpose.

I am quite sure it would be very difficult to fit an Internal Gear Hub in the 76mm OLD. I believe you could play with the sprockets back there however I believe. You can't really do that w/ an IGH other than changing the front chainring, which you could do, likely anyway, with the EEZZ and Jifo.

I like IGH hubs too so no disagrement there.

Last edited by L Arnold; 12-08-17 at 12:25 PM. Reason: slack details
Old 12-08-17, 12:33 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
This raises interesting business questions: in the future will ThorUSA-the-national-distributor punish a dealer who undercuts ThorUSA-the-internet-retailer's price? With excess inventory in the warehouse, will ThorUSA-the-internet-dealer undercut ThorUSA-the-national-distributor's local dealers? Time will tell.
The bikes are a very good deal right now. Sales price IN a shop can vary. Demo bikes, group sales etc, but normally not advertised discounts. It is always good to work directly with your dealer for service, information and more. There are many details that get lost in flat-screen presentations.
Old 12-08-17, 02:04 PM
bargainguy

It's my understanding that any bikes being sold at the dealer level have minimum advertised pricing restrictions on current year models built into the dealer contract. So theoretically, you can't hop from one dealer to another to get a better price on anything current, because this would undercut some dealers and thereby not allow a level playing field.

Sometimes there are also restrictions on internet sales for current year models, again to discourage consumers from price shopping different dealers. This tends to be an issue more with non-folders rather than folders, but I imagine it can happen with any type of bike.

Where MAP becomes less of an issue is with demos, closeouts, and old stock. The restrictions there are fewer to encourage dealers to liquidate their demo/closeout/old stock, to make way for more new stock.

It would not behoove Thor, or any other dealer, to allow minimum advertised pricing discounts from any dealer on current year models. Such actions by the dealer are typically considered breach of contract. The dealer contract is terminated and the dealer no longer carries that line. This has put many a dealer out of business, because if they play fast and loose with MAP and that's the main line they sell, there's not enough revenue from other lines to keep them afloat.
Old 12-08-17, 02:59 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by L Arnold
Realize that the derailleur has a second purpose. It is a chain tensioner. When the bike folds the spread between the Front Sprocket and rear Cogs shortens. The derailleur takes up the slack that would otherwise be created.

The Jifo is a single speed on the same design principal. It requires a separate chain tensioner for that purpose.

I am quite sure it would be very difficult to fit an Internal Gear Hub in the 76mm OLD. I believe you could play with the sprockets back there however I believe. You can't really do that w/ an IGH other than changing the front chainring, which you could do, likely anyway, with the EEZZ and Jifo.

I like IGH hubs too so no disagrement there.
I already understand the derailleur is also doing chain tensioner double duty,...I have 1 of my IGH converted bikes with a chain tensioner. It's a non-issue. The issue is a bike with a 76mm old as being proprietary and not possessing the ability to be upgraded in any realistic way. It totally sux.

As for sprockets, not an option for me. I've discovered I'm almost cursed when it comes to them,...derailleurs especially. I always wind up with some from or fashion of difficulty. LOL!!!

I'd want this to be 8 speed IGH,...it would be AMAZING IMO!!!
Old 12-08-17, 04:51 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
What you want, TDS, is a Brompton ;-)
Old 12-09-17, 02:46 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
What you want, TDS, is a Brompton ;-)
Only if the price is reasonable on an 8 speed model,...and that means custom. And a custom like that isn't inexpensive. But,...I can always dream. LOL!
Old 03-05-19, 05:10 PM
pierro78

Bikes: 2019 Dahon K3 and an old Road Bicycle

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you think the 2019 Dahon Qix D3 will be better than the EEZZ D3 for a taller/heavier person ??
(I am 1m78 tall and 75kg and worried I might be too tall or heavy for the EEZZ D3 ??)
Would you think they have improved the gearing span ?

(By the way first post in the forum so hello everybody ! - and sorry for my bad english)
Old 03-05-19, 06:38 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pierro78
Do you think the 2019 Dahon Qix D3 will be better than the EEZZ D3 for a taller/heavier person ??
(I am 1m78 tall and 75kg and worried I might be too tall or heavy for the EEZZ D3 ??)
Would you think they have improved the gearing span ?

(By the way first post in the forum so hello everybody ! - and sorry for my bad english)
you are not mutch tall or heavy for bolth bikes.
you might need a extended seatpost.
Likes For BromptonINrio:
Old 03-10-19, 07:23 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Either bike would work for you. Slightly different use case.
Eezz is smaller (also abit shorter seat to handlebar). It packs very small and easy to commute with and simply carry.
QIX rides as a bigger bike. Longer. More speeds. Normally you would roll it around while folded while the EEZZ you would carry).

Great bikes which unfortunately Dahon is discontinuing in the US market. Not smart, in my opinion, to close them out as they are. .
Likes For L Arnold:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.