Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 07:09 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's definitely a 140mm. I have a 130mm so I thought I'd try this one first.
Old 08-03-14, 08:49 PM
misterwaterfall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'2" and ride a 56 with a 120mm pro vibe track stem and pro vibe track bars. Maybe I should consider getting my first ever fit.
Old 08-03-14, 09:36 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
I'm 6'2" and ride a 56 with a 120mm pro vibe track stem and pro vibe track bars. Maybe I should consider getting my first ever fit.
Old 08-03-14, 09:45 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
i wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. cockpit is mostly for comfort, and if you can get the right saddle height & setback the 56 is not necessarily wrong.

there's more to it than just height (as i'm sure you know) -- e.g., i'm 5'11" with slightly longer torso/reach than legs. i don't have a ton of exposed post. you're a bit taller than me, but if that is in the legs, no problem.

i run a slammed 140mm stem...but i'm flexible.

anyway...point is that i wouldn't take anything in this thread to mean that you are on the wrong bike.

as for getting a bike fit, IMO the method doesn't matter but the quality of the fitter does (if you choose to pay someone). it can be hard to sort through BS, sometimes.
Old 08-04-14, 06:40 AM
ips0803

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
11 speed question to follow. I am a campy user.

I know Zinn has published an article on velonews that all 11 speed groups are compatible with each others cassettes. I picked up a cheap set of shimano 11 speed compatible carbon tubs from a club mate last week. My options are:

1) Buy a campy 11 freehub and (if desired) a cassette for these wheels or just swap casettes from other wheels.
2) Leave the S11 freehub and buy a sram red cassette and just run all C11 except for the S11 cassette.

Concerns:
1) Shift quality and noise
2) Inability to swap to another cassette range if I have one wheelset that's S11
3) If I got a new cassette for this wheel, I could get a Red cassette for cheaper or the same than a C11 freehub and chorus cassette, and be lighter.

Anyone here experimented with mixed 11 drivetrains?
Old 08-04-14, 09:58 AM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
i wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. cockpit is mostly for comfort, and if you can get the right saddle height & setback the 56 is not necessarily wrong.

there's more to it than just height (as i'm sure you know) -- e.g., i'm 5'11" with slightly longer torso/reach than legs. i don't have a ton of exposed post. you're a bit taller than me, but if that is in the legs, no problem.

i run a slammed 140mm stem...but i'm flexible.

anyway...point is that i wouldn't take anything in this thread to mean that you are on the wrong bike.

as for getting a bike fit, IMO the method doesn't matter but the quality of the fitter does (if you choose to pay someone). it can be hard to sort through BS, sometimes.
Good call. I have long legs for my height, and a prety large saddle/bar drop as my seat is pretty high. I've done plenty of 6+ hour rides on it, so it's not horrible by any stretch.
Old 08-06-14, 05:32 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Just FYI...a couple of years ago I had started a thread about tires that could be used for both training and racing. The two tires most mentioned were the Michelin Krylion (then in the process of being replaced by the Pro4 Endurance) and the Conti GP4000S. Since I was coincidentally already running the Krylions, I stayed with them and replaced them with the Pro4 Endurance when they wore out at the end of last January.

I'm about to replace the P4Es on my race/training wheels with the barely ridden ones on my spare wheels. They've got ~3200 miles on them, and I'm replacing them due to the rear tire being squared off; the rear still has a good bit of rubber on it, and those tires will go on my spare wheels. No flats, and that includes using them for Rouge-Roubaix with its 20+ miles of gravel plus all the lousy roads I've ridden on since. My average weight was ~185 over that time period. The tires are the 700x25 version, and measure 27mm wide on my Open Pros; I've read that they measure 28mm on 23mm rims. I've used them on my CAAD9, Look 585, and Specialized Allez with no clearance problems.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-06-14, 06:00 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a question in there?

I love my pro4 endurance tires. I would never ride anything else. I know I won't flat and they ride good. I only flat when the tire has had enough, usually about 4000 miles (2000 miles on front, 2000 miles on rear) and they tend to slow flat (aka I go to ride the next day and its flat in the garage). Once I flat I know it's done and I put the front on the rear and a new one on the front.
Old 08-08-14, 11:00 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Anyone know a source for a replacement rear spoke for a 2010ish Mavic Aksium Race wheel? I've got the Mavic tech docs and it lists the following:

Rear Drive Side: 108 452 01, length 298 mm (per 10, with nipples)"
Will any straight pull, bladed spoke work? Right now it looks like my best option are spokes from the UK at $10 each. These wheels came with a bike I purchased and I'm wondering if it's just better to sell them to someone else for a slight loss and buy a more readily repaired/maintained wheelset.
Old 08-08-14, 11:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
Is there a question in there?

I love my pro4 endurance tires. I would never ride anything else. I know I won't flat and they ride good. I only flat when the tire has had enough, usually about 4000 miles (2000 miles on front, 2000 miles on rear) and they tend to slow flat (aka I go to ride the next day and its flat in the garage). Once I flat I know it's done and I put the front on the rear and a new one on the front.
They really are great tires.
Old 08-15-14, 07:01 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation for Latex tubes for Zipp 404, with a long enough valve stem (80)?
Old 08-15-14, 07:18 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Anyone have a recommendation for Latex tubes for Zipp 404, with a long enough valve stem (80)?
If they exist I don't know about them. Very few manufacturers make 80mm tubes, much less latex. I had good luck with the standard Michelin Airstop latex with Continental extensions. Now I just run Continental Race Light butyl. The ride is not a heck of a lot different than the tubulars.
Old 08-15-14, 07:29 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
oh, good to know, that's the tube I'm running already. thanks.
Old 08-15-14, 07:32 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by valygrl

Not aware of a long stem latex tube. I use Vittoria latex tubes with extensions. Works fine.

shovelhd, I think I started using latex tubes a couple years ago because of your strong recommendation. Now you've gone back?
Old 08-15-14, 08:00 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went back once I started racing tubulars again, however I could give them another try. I'm fickle like that.
Old 08-15-14, 08:05 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I started using latex tubes when shovel gave me a pair..been using latex since. They ride so much nicer
Old 08-15-14, 08:49 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by ips0803
11 speed question to follow. I am a campy user.

I know Zinn has published an article on velonews that all 11 speed groups are compatible with each others cassettes. I picked up a cheap set of shimano 11 speed compatible carbon tubs from a club mate last week. My options are:

1) Buy a campy 11 freehub and (if desired) a cassette for these wheels or just swap casettes from other wheels.
2) Leave the S11 freehub and buy a sram red cassette and just run all C11 except for the S11 cassette.

Concerns:
1) Shift quality and noise
2) Inability to swap to another cassette range if I have one wheelset that's S11
3) If I got a new cassette for this wheel, I could get a Red cassette for cheaper or the same than a C11 freehub and chorus cassette, and be lighter.

Anyone here experimented with mixed 11 drivetrains?
No personal experience, but several of the knowledgeable Campy-philes in the 41 say "no problem". (several recent threads)
So pick based on money/convenience

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-15-14, 08:58 AM
ips0803

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah ordered a red22 cassette since they're cheap and I'll give it a shot. Think I'll stick with a kmc chain for now
Old 08-15-14, 09:44 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just FYI I did research and saw shimano/sram 11 speed cassettes are not interchangeable. I couldn't find hard evidence of that though, but a couple sites saying it was enough for me to stick with all sram in my 11 speed sram combo.
Old 08-15-14, 10:19 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Just FYI I did research and saw shimano/sram 11 speed cassettes are not interchangeable. I couldn't find hard evidence of that though, but a couple sites saying it was enough for me to stick with all sram in my 11 speed sram combo.
Strange. Everything I've read said Shimano, Sram and Campy 11-speed cassettes are all now pretty interchangeable.
Old 08-15-14, 10:30 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Zinn says 11's are all good across the board

Drivetrain compatibility hidden in plain sight - VeloNews.com
Old 08-15-14, 10:53 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
Zinn says 11's are all good across the board

Drivetrain compatibility hidden in plain sight - VeloNews.com
Dang, I searched for like hours and couldn't find anything definitive. I was pretty tired and upset at that point though, so probably why my search failed lol. Oh well.
Old 08-15-14, 04:14 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Strange. Everything I've read said Shimano, Sram and Campy 11-speed cassettes are all now pretty interchangeable.
Not on the same wheel. SRAM and Shimano share the same 11 speed freehub. Campy uses a different 11 speed freehub. The spacing of all three is within a fraction of a mm so in that sense they are interchangeable. In summary, the way I understand it:

Shimano/SRAM 11 speed freehub - Shimano or SRAM 11 speed cassette
Campy 11 speed freehub - Campy 11 speed cassette

Any of the above combinations will work with any of the respective drivetrains, i.e. -

Shimano or SRAM 11 speed drivetrain - Shimano/SRAM freehub and cassette or Campy freehub with Campy cassette
Campy 11 speed drivetrain - Campy freehub with Campy cassette or Shimano/SRAM freehub and cassette
Old 08-15-14, 10:45 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Not on the same wheel. SRAM and Shimano share the same 11 speed freehub. Campy uses a different 11 speed freehub. The spacing of all three is within a fraction of a mm so in that sense they are interchangeable. In summary, the way I understand it:

Shimano/SRAM 11 speed freehub - Shimano or SRAM 11 speed cassette
Campy 11 speed freehub - Campy 11 speed cassette

Any of the above combinations will work with any of the respective drivetrains, i.e. -

Shimano or SRAM 11 speed drivetrain - Shimano/SRAM freehub and cassette or Campy freehub with Campy cassette
Campy 11 speed drivetrain - Campy freehub with Campy cassette or Shimano/SRAM freehub and cassette
FWIW, i've run shimano, sram, and campy 11 on the same zipp wheel without any derailleur adjustment. i swapped the free hub over from a shimano/sram to campy one, of course. pretty cool. a very slight derailleur tweak made it perfect, but a spare wheel from any would work (e.g., if you got a spare in a race).
Old 08-15-14, 11:48 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
and fwiw in a pinch you can use a 10sp cassette/wheel on an 11 speed group set - I had to do that in a rr earlier this year after flatting.

it skipped in one or two cogs but generally worked. it was a shimano wheel on a campy group.

my race videos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.