Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why Did Road Bike Handlebars Get Wider?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why Did Road Bike Handlebars Get Wider?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 02:29 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Given the modern penchant for inaccuracy, we don't really know if the o.p. really means 2" or 2cm. I suspect the latter and don't think there is anything to see here. Racers routinely ride smaller bikes than are ideal (even by the standards of the past) for their physique in order to save weight. Bars from 1987 were as likely to be steel as not, especially on something like a Nishiki. You could save significant (sic) amounts of weight going to a smaller bar and smaller (steel) frame. That said, the bars on my new Trek 1.1 are immense. I thought it was just me, but every review I've seen of the 1.1 observes the same thing. I suspect this speaks to an earlier observation another poster made about wider bars being more stable. A Trek 1.1 is a race bike, no question, but there is racing and then there is racing. I don't know, there might be fewer of those horrific criterium pile-ups if the peloton rocked Trek style bars. Just wondering out loud ...

Among 8 year olds on BSOs I suppose.

I think it's basically fashion, possibly following high-wattage pro sprinters.

Similar in mtn biking, where super wide bars are "in", but in my area many cut their bars down to almost urban fixie dimensions

so they can ride past fire road gates.

Personally, I use narrow bars for aero advantage. A little less comfortable,

but if comfort was the goal, I'd ride a comfort bike.
Old 06-04-18, 05:17 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Bars from 1987 were as likely to be steel as not, especially on something like a Nishiki.
This isn't remotely true. Even cheaper Nishiki road bikes with suicide brakes would have basic alloy bars and stems.

Sometimes it sounds like people have these ideas about what different eras looked like that a simple look in an old catalog would correct.
Old 06-06-18, 05:34 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
They "got narrower?" What? You can get bars in a variety of sizes, no? I use 40 just as I did in the early '80's.
Old 06-06-18, 09:38 AM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
OP: Yes, they have.

I bought my first good bike 7 years ago, a '86 Trek 400.

I got serious last year about biking and bought a '11 Bianchi Sempre.

The Sempre has 44cm bars. I haven't measured the stock bars on the Trek but they are MUCH narrower and not nearly as comfortable.

What's interesting (and funny to me) is folks talking about nutrition and fat in this thread, which has NOTHING to do with the width of your shoulders. Your frame is your frame, period. I just measured and my shoulders are 18" wide/45.72cm. Maybe I outta try 46cm bars?? Hmmm...

Gary
Old 06-06-18, 10:00 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
OP: Yes, they have.

I bought my first good bike 7 years ago, a '86 Trek 400.

I got serious last year about biking and bought a '11 Bianchi Sempre.

The Sempre has 44cm bars. I haven't measured the stock bars on the Trek but they are MUCH narrower and not nearly as comfortable.

What's interesting (and funny to me) is folks talking about nutrition and fat in this thread, which has NOTHING to do with the width of your shoulders. Your frame is your frame, period. I just measured and my shoulders are 18" wide/45.72cm. Maybe I outta try 46cm bars?? Hmmm...

Gary
Are you measuring to the center of the top of the humerus bone, or the outside width of your shoulders? It's the first one.

How fat someone is relates to how close they can comfortably keep their upper arms to the side of their rib cages. Fat people with thick torsos can't keep their arms close to their sides and have a harder time with narrow bars. And people have been progressively fatter over the last 30 years.
Old 06-06-18, 12:10 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Are you measuring to the center of the top of the humerus bone, or the outside width of your shoulders? It's the first one.

How fat someone is relates to how close they can comfortably keep their upper arms to the side of their rib cages. Fat people with thick torsos can't keep their arms close to their sides and have a harder time with narrow bars. And people have been progressively fatter over the last 30 years.
Not just fatter, but older. When I was a kid, I don't remember a lot of adults riding bikes. Don't get me wrong. I am sure they were out there, but in general, cycling was a youth activity. These days, go to any road riding club and you are likely to see mostly middle aged or older people.

So, population is fatter in general, and cyclists getting older, you are likely to see bikes built more for comfort. A little shoulder or neck discomfort is maybe not such a big deal to a 16 year old cyclist, but a potential deal breaker to a 60 year old.
Old 06-06-18, 05:59 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I've been riding since the early 80's and my bars have always been around 42cm ctc. It could be that I've built up most of my bikes from frames and that is just what I prefer. The shapes have gotten much better for me now though. Less drop and more comfortable bends.
Old 06-06-18, 07:03 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I wonder if it's cuz cycling is gotten more expensive than ever before.
No. Inflation adjusted, cycling is not any more expensive than it was 35 or 40 years ago.
Old 06-07-18, 01:23 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 411 Posts
The simple reason was cost. In those days when the dollar was strong and Asian currencies weak, raw materials were expensive. Narrow bars required less metal, and were therefore cheaper to make.