Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling surprises

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 12:49 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
More about myself than the bike, but I have fewer hand problems if I don't wear gloves. For some reason, I seem to hold the handlebar tighter with gloves on, and have learned that white-knuckling is a real thing. I forgot to put the gloves on one day and discovered I didn't grip so hard when I could feel the contact. Also, I detect numbness creeping in much faster, and can make position adjustment before it gets serious. I think it's just harder to notice numbness when your hand is padded.
Enhanced sensory perception. That may be true in the short run. Not so likely in the long run. On the other hand, you could just be using the wrong gloves? Like pillows that are too hard, or too soft.
Old 07-09-18, 04:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Enhanced sensory perception. That may be true in the short run. Not so likely in the long run. On the other hand, you could just be using the wrong gloves? Like pillows that are too hard, or too soft.
Don't know how you define the long run, but I rode 200miles this weekend and 110 miles on July 4 without gloves, and my hands are fine. I won't be glove shopping.
Old 07-09-18, 06:55 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Jofu
You just need to pull back the rubber portion from the hood, and for Shimano shifters you'll see a 2mm allen screw at the top which you can "screw in" and in the process will push the brake levers in. For SRAM (at least for RED eTap), the 2.5mm allen screw is on the out side, and it can be turned in 3 different positions which adjust the brake lever in 3 different positions in succession. Once done, you will likely need to adjust your brakes.

Ok it's probably just easier to watch the GCN Youtube video for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GESGpwNLuTQ

Geoff
Well, that was a very useful bit of advice. I'm going to check that out - speaking as someone with small hands! Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-09-18, 09:21 AM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Things I've learned after 1 year and 3,250+ miles of cycling...

1) Don't let your front wheel overlap the back wheel of the rider in front of you. Ask me how I learned this - ha!
2) The 3 'touch-points' of the bike are vital as far as comfort goes. Don't skimp on shoes, gloves or shorts!
3) Riding with a group will help you ride more miles and push yourself more than you will when riding alone.
4) Explore! Look around! Have FUN!! :-)

Gary
Old 07-09-18, 10:47 AM
jfoobar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
More about myself than the bike, but I have fewer hand problems if I don't wear gloves. For some reason, I seem to hold the handlebar tighter with gloves on, and have learned that white-knuckling is a real thing. I forgot to put the gloves on one day and discovered I didn't grip so hard when I could feel the contact. Also, I detect numbness creeping in much faster, and can make position adjustment before it gets serious. I think it's just harder to notice numbness when your hand is padded.
You also avoid the obnoxious glove tan lines.
Old 07-09-18, 11:13 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I've learned that zig-zagging up very steep hills does ease the pain a bit!
Old 07-09-18, 11:39 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I started racing in 1987 and I just realized that drinking Gatorade really helps on long, hot rides. I was one of those "pah! energy drinks are a ripoff!" guys previously.
Old 07-09-18, 01:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Thanks to some very friendly drivers peppering me with advice while driving, I have learned a number of surprising rules in the last month:

1) If I am to the left of a right turn lane, I am required to signal that I am going straight.

2) If the shoulder of a road is marked off with a white line, the shoulder automatically becomes a bike path, and I am required to confine myself to the right of that line regardless of the condition of the shoulder.

3) I should ride on the sidewalk.

4) If I am the first vehicle to a red light at a busy intersection, I must move to the right to facilitate a right turn on red by the car behind me even though that will put me in the blind spot of cars turning right after the light turns green.

5) I should watch where I'm going but it's ok to completely obstruct the rear window of a car with stuffed animals (still don't know what that guy was babbling about, but apparently he was my "bro").

6) I should get off of the road.

7) If I'm in a nearly empty convenience store/gas station parking lot, I am required to follow the arrows as if I was going through the donut drive thru or the gas pumps, even though that's actually about 1/4 mile around the lot, and I can see everybody entering and leaving the parking lot and the blacktop is incredibly hot. Otherwise, I am asking to be killed. (A pedestrian taking the exact same route out of the parking lot would have been perfectly safe and not challenged).

8) If I am on a state road, and I roll through an intersection while the truck on the side street waits at the stop sign, I should express my gratitude to him for not rolling the stop sign and killing me.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-09-18 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-18, 01:51 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
@79 I can still RIDE!
Old 07-09-18, 07:40 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Don't know how you define the long run, but I rode 200miles this weekend and 110 miles on July 4 without gloves, and my hands are fine. I won't be glove shopping.
Similar with your definition of "fine". Gloves can have many purposes: Sometimes they serve as a barrier to protect from pathogens or caustic chemicals. Other times they serve as a cushion.

Sure you can have a better feel sensation without gloves, but that's not always a good thing. Just try boxing or using high voltage without gloves and see how long you last. I'm met many people (particularly men) who brag about and feel its "fine" to have rough, dried, cracked and calloused hands from farm work or other similar "dirty jobs."

Anyway, it all depends on what you need the gloves for. I use mine for cushioning. Particularly the meaty part of the palm. Believe me once you've fallen off your bike onto that part of your hand, you won't ride again without them.
Old 07-09-18, 08:23 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I find it more comfortable to wear gloves, but I also wear gloves for hand protection. I've only gone down once that my hands hit the pavement, but my half-finger gloves saved me big time - and I wasn't going fast.

More about myself than the bike, but I have fewer hand problems if I don't wear gloves.
Old 07-09-18, 08:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Similar with your definition of "fine". Gloves can have many purposes: Sometimes they serve as a barrier to protect from pathogens or caustic chemicals. Other times they serve as a cushion.

Sure you can have a better feel sensation without gloves, but that's not always a good thing. Just try boxing or using high voltage without gloves and see how long you last. I'm met many people (particularly men) who brag about and feel its "fine" to have rough, dried, cracked and calloused hands from farm work or other similar "dirty jobs."

Anyway, it all depends on what you need the gloves for. I use mine for cushioning. Particularly the meaty part of the palm. Believe me once you've fallen off your bike onto that part of your hand, you won't ride again without them.
I have callouses from weight lifting and the elliptical machine, so that ship sailed years ago ( gym gloves actually made that worse as a lot of people discover). I also have never considered callouses as any kind of big deal as I have had plenty of them from musical instruments over the years. Otherwise, I'm 57 years old, the skin on my hands has never been better, and it definitely does better in the open air. No offense, but I know a lot more about what does and doesn't work for MY hands than you do. And yes, I have fallen on my hands both with and without gloves, and I don't think the marginal difference in protection is worth the trouble gloves were causing me.
Old 07-10-18, 03:24 AM
MartinGerhard
Banned.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The height of post should suitable with your leg length ,it will make you have a comfortable riding
Old 07-10-18, 01:42 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Thanks to some very friendly drivers peppering me with advice while driving, I have learned a number of surprising rules in the last month:

1) If I am to the left of a right turn lane, I am required to signal that I am going straight.

2) If the shoulder of a road is marked off with a white line, the shoulder automatically becomes a bike path, and I am required to confine myself to the right of that line regardless of the condition of the shoulder.

3) I should ride on the sidewalk.

4) If I am the first vehicle to a red light at a busy intersection, I must move to the right to facilitate a right turn on red by the car behind me even though that will put me in the blind spot of cars turning right after the light turns green.

5) I should watch where I'm going but it's ok to completely obstruct the rear window of a car with stuffed animals (still don't know what that guy was babbling about, but apparently he was my "bro").

6) I should get off of the road.

7) If I'm in a nearly empty convenience store/gas station parking lot, I am required to follow the arrows as if I was going through the donut drive thru or the gas pumps, even though that's actually about 1/4 mile around the lot, and I can see everybody entering and leaving the parking lot and the blacktop is incredibly hot. Otherwise, I am asking to be killed. (A pedestrian taking the exact same route out of the parking lot would have been perfectly safe and not challenged).

8) If I am on a state road, and I roll through an intersection while the truck on the side street waits at the stop sign, I should express my gratitude to him for not rolling the stop sign and killing me.
I like this list of Critical Knowledge All Cyclists Should Know (CKACSK).

To it, I'll add:
1. It's illegal for bikes to be on the road.
2. If you are using a crosswalk with the "Walk" sign on, you must give way to drivers turning right and you must give way drivers turning left, otherwise these innocent drivers are perfectly allowed to drill you. Because it's really hard to look in front of you while driving and missing something like a person is very easy and understandable.
3. The presence of lycra on my person is a clear indication of my sexual preference.
4. At a stop sign, cyclists should not take the lane and should stay to the right. Clearly, being "out in traffic" is crazy. Simultaneously, a cyclists who stays to the right to go straight suddenly becomes invisible and thus completely deserving of being creamed by a car turning right.
5. While approaching a stop light, a reasonable thing for drivers to do is to dangerously floor it around a cyclist and then slam on the brakes to narrowly miss the car in front of them. Because Cars Must Go In Front Of Bikes At All Times (easy to remember mnemonic: BCMGIFOBAAT).
6. The best time to pass a cyclist or group of cyclists on a road is around a blind curve with a double yellow line, preferably while flooring it. BCMGIFOBAAT.
7. Cyclists wearing brightly colored clothing and covered in bright, flashing lights in broad daylight are really, really hard to see. Almost invisible, in fact.
8. A pickup is a manly vehicle suitable for a manly man driving like a man should. A bike is... not.
Old 07-10-18, 07:42 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Just recently learned that black bicycles raise your body’s core temperature.

lol
Old 07-10-18, 07:45 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Its only illegal to do something if you get caught. This is the beauty of having 2,000 watts at your left thumb.
Old 07-10-18, 09:58 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
A few years ago I learned that even though I regularly use 6-8 gears when riding my work commute on my geared bike, riding it on a fixed gear doesn't take me any longer... I learned to stand and power up hills, and (really!) spin my way down!
Old 07-12-18, 10:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
My biggest surprise is cycling came in 2005. I got my first recumbent, a RANS Tailwind. My surprise was that cycling no longer has to be a pain in the neck or ass, even the first ride in the spring.
Old 07-12-18, 10:08 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Shoot that reminds me I need to finish making my BF Bingo card
Old 07-12-18, 10:02 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
New for me to have just two chain rings. All the road bikes I've owned over the years were triples... I weigh more but have higher gears.
Old 07-13-18, 11:40 AM
spinsheet

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned that even minor adjustments (seat height, cleat position) can have an enormous effect on comfort and pain relief.
Old 07-13-18, 07:03 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Alloy bikes aren't cheap anymore...
Old 07-15-18, 05:55 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I've learned that a bike doesn't have to be all lathered up with XTR/XT or Dura-Ace/Ultegra, a King headset, a Thompson post, an Italian ti-railed saddle, etc.etc., in order to be a decent, solid bike that's worth owning.
(Who knew !!! )

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-15-18 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-15-18, 11:23 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
I've learned that a bike doesn't have to be all lathered up with XTR/XT or Dura-Ace/Ultegra, a King headset, a Thompson post, an Italian ti-railed saddle, etc.etc., in order to be a decent, solid bike that's worth owning.
(Who knew !!! )
Exactly, all you need is Campy!
Old 07-15-18, 03:20 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I'm finding out that you're never too skinny to lose weight, and that losing said weight trumps everything else in terms of increasing fitness and speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.