Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring: how to keep bike shorts dry?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring: how to keep bike shorts dry?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 08:54 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Unless there's direct sunlight, or very low relative humidity, line drying is not effective. I see people setting up lines in camp at sunset when there's going to be dew in the morning. You might even go behind in that case.
very much so, its not uncommon for stuff to be wetter in the morning than when you set it out the night before. I think its fair to say that we have all learned that lesson the hard way, and remembered it.
Another reason to get into camp at a reasonable time and take advantage of long summer sun hours--not a help on rainy days I know I know....
Old 09-19-18, 08:02 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Forgot to mention that the shorts I use have the old school chamois. Two synthetic and one leather. They dry very quickly.
Old 09-24-18, 02:28 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I wouldn't tour with less than 3 pairs of shorts, use a laundromat when available, rinse well, and squeeze out water, never twist or wring out cycle wear, hang dry, and if its still wet/damp in the morning, hang securely on bike and ride on. You'd be sillier looking sitting in your tent/hotel with a rash so bad you can't ride, wishing you had let mother nature help dry your gear while you were riding yesterday than how silly you thought you looked with your kit blowing in the wind!
While on the Camino in Spain, gear hanging off back packs was a regular occurrence. It's more smart than dumb, IMO.
AND, I don't ever use soap on my cycle kit, or any of my merino wool clothing. Take in shower, or use a sink, wet and squeeze out several times, and hang dry. There is never any odor. I have shorts that are 12+ years old, and my Assos, and Pearl Izumi's are 6-7 years old, and still feel and look awesome.
Old 09-24-18, 06:06 PM
toastparty

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tour and camp a lot in the bush in south east Australia in all weather. Almost never in campgrounds. As nice as it is to stay clean and dry it's often not possible or convenient. The priority is to avoid saddle sores, the rest we can live with. So, firstly, wash your arse after every borrie (crap) and rub a few drops of your chosen essential oil on your contact points. I use lavendar oil. Downside is you will forever associate that smell with arse and very long rides.

Apologies for being blunt
Old 09-24-18, 07:14 PM
djb

Originally Posted by toastparty
I tour and camp a lot in the bush in south east Australia in all weather. Almost never in campgrounds. As nice as it is to stay clean and dry it's often not possible or convenient. The priority is to avoid saddle sores, the rest we can live with. So, firstly, wash your arse after every borrie (crap) and rub a few drops of your chosen essential oil on your contact points. I use lavendar oil. Downside is you will forever associate that smell with arse and very long rides.

Apologies for being blunt
the reality of riding in areas with little or no water source is that as you say, you can only do so much. I have never toured in areas like this, not for more than a day or so, so didnt have to deal with it. Makes sense to wash oneself properly goes a long way, and taking baby wipes can be a help for those situations.
Same goes for whatever product to help with friction reducing, although my shorts and seats work well enough not to have any chafing issues, but figured this out combination of seat and bike shorts over many years of riding.
Old 09-25-18, 10:31 AM
JohnBerry
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read everyone's comments with interest, and generally do what others do: take 3 pairs of bike clothes, or 2 pr and a pair of padded undershorts and loose shorts and a T-shirt. This latter outfit doubles as casual "town" wear (I take a very light pair of trousers and a shirt and tie for "formal" occasions). If a shower is available take my riding clothes in with me and wash thoroughly - I use soap. Otherwise wash in cooking pot (difficult) and rinse in stream or under faucet. I use a quick-dry towel and roll the clothes in it after drying myself. I never wear day clothes to sleep or put them in contact with my sleeping bag, but do hang them in, or on, the tent. In the latter case I make sure to pitch the tent under a tree or other obstacle, so that there is no clear sky at night - yes, they will be wetter in the morning from the dew if they are open to a clear sky! I carry some laundry soap (which I rarely have to use), a dozen clothes pegs and a length of cord for washing and hanging clothes in campsites (the cord is also useful for hanging things in trees in bear-infested areas). I use cheap socks and these are always the last thing to dry, but dry well under bungees on the backpack (holding my camping gear) bungeed to my rear rack. If in a motel/hotel I dry clothes on the window handles or the lampshades as shown by Doug64. I haven't tried swinging things around on the end of a rope - will do next trip.

I have two problems that I haven't solved: my towel gets to stink pretty quickly, and really needs a washer and dryer to de-stink it. Otherwise I have to wash it after every three or four uses, and it does take a while to dry (usually on top of my tent). Anyone have any good ideas for keeping a quick-dry towel sweet-smelling? Am I having this problem because I use soap - I notice several people don't use it at all?

The other is stinky sneakers: I use an old pair of sneakers for bike touring as I don't feel comfortable clipped in (and have had several falls when clipped in). The sneakers get really rank after a few weeks - I've had a person on a Corsican bus complain about it. The only good way to clean them seems to be a washer and dryer, but I rarely am in a place long enough or civilized enough to have one (I have spent the last 5-6 summers traveling around eastern Europe: in many places there either are no Laundromats or I can't recognize their signs in Cyrillic, Greek, Turkish or Georgian letters). Does anyone have suggestions for footwear that can go long periods in hot and sweaty conditions, that will enable pushing the bike up steep hills (flip-flops and many sandals won't hack it) and can be kept clean and fresh?

Last edited by JohnBerry; 09-25-18 at 10:36 AM. Reason: found typos
Old 09-25-18, 07:48 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBerry
The other is stinky sneakers: Does anyone have suggestions for footwear that can go long periods in hot and sweaty conditions, that will enable pushing the bike up steep hills (flip-flops and many sandals won't hack it) and can be kept clean and fresh?
You might try something like this.....
https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Blaze...DRRME6ZAGJFBJX
I have used these for two trips now. They dissipate heat very well and don't stink. I wear socks with them unless it starts raining, then I just remove my socks and wear the shoes. They are for water rafting and such but work really well for cycling.
Old 09-25-18, 08:13 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Febreze Sport spray might help for stinky shoes. One isn't supposed to bleach microfiber towels, boiling might work (haven't tried that) but I'd guess that would use a fair amount of stove fuel.
Old 09-26-18, 10:10 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
I wouldn't tour with less than 3 pairs of shorts, use a laundromat when available, rinse well, and squeeze out water, never twist or wring out cycle wear, hang dry, and if its still wet/damp in the morning, hang securely on bike and ride on. You'd be sillier looking sitting in your tent/hotel with a rash so bad you can't ride, wishing you had let mother nature help dry your gear while you were riding yesterday than how silly you thought you looked with your kit blowing in the wind!
Interesting what works for some people. I agree 100%, dry clothes is the key and goal.
Any ride for me between roughly April and October with some humidity and my clothes are just as wet as they would get in a pouring rain. I just deal with the wetness. What works for me is daily cleaning and air drying of clothes with some type of soap and before the day starts some diaper rash cream (the heavy duty 40% zinc version) and possibly an occasional wipe down with some hand sanitizer during the day. At the end of the day taking off the wet clothes ASAP.

Last edited by u235; 09-27-18 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-26-18, 05:10 PM
djb

diff people sweat more than others, yet despite that, washing bike clothes and socks with soap right after finishing riding has generally worked out fine for me.