Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Missoula to the ACA northern tier

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 03:12 PM
northerntier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The most direct way to join the NT heading west would be to leave Missoula and take 93, and then 200 until you hit Heron, MT. Two random samples on Streetview don't look too bad, though it might be safer to ride the gravel next to the road than the road itself.

Anyone done this? Is it horrible, is there a better way?
Thanks,
pete
Old 10-15-18, 07:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,522 Times in 7,325 Posts
Looks to be the most direct. I have ridden from Thompson Falls to the connection with the Northern Tier at MT 56. MT 200 had moderate traffic when I was there the third week of June last year, but the shoulder was good.

A couple of route notes: Thompson Falls State Park on Blue Slide Rd. has unadvertised hiker/biker sites. They actually put you in the day use picnic area. $12/night for non-residents. They are the nicest sites in the place. You should definitely take Blue Slide on the east side of the river from T-Falls until it hooks back in with MT 200 just beyond Trout Creek. Really pretty back there. If you need food and drink, you can double back on MT 200 to Trout Creek. Grab a sandwich and ride down the boat launch/recreation area.

Off route a bit before you join the Northern Tier at MT 56 is the quiet town of Noxon. There is camping in town at the city park. Sign says they expect a donation. I stopped there for a respite on a warm day. The breeze coming off the river was fabulous. Lots of ospreys flying around. I almost ended up staying there. No Showers, but flush toilets, a picnic shelter, water and electricity. There is a fairly small but adequate grocery store, a bar (which I think has food) and a restaurant with limited hours right across from the park.

The view from my tent at Thompson Falls:

Crossing the bridge into Noxon:

Old 10-16-18, 09:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
FWIW, when we did something similar we came into Missoula on the TransAm, then took the Great Parks route north (going east to pick up 83 north through Seeley Lake to Columbia Falls). That put us close to Glacier NP, which we wanted to see, before we turned west on the Northern Tier. Decent roads and light traffic the way we went. It probably added a couple days (plus the time in Glacier) to the trip, but it was well worth it for a couple southerners who'd never been that way before.
Old 10-16-18, 10:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,522 Times in 7,325 Posts
U.S. 93 between Whitefish and Eureka was rather miserable last year. (I headed south.) Heading into Whitefish, the southbound shoulder of U.S. 93 was not rideable in places. Didn't notice the north side. A good amount of fast, noisy traffic much of the way until I got a break on Farm to Market Rd. I was actually surprised since in 2009 we went north to Canada that way around the same time of year and it was much quieter.

There is still a store in Olney, but it seems that someone bought the old Brigg's Mechantile and has tried to make it into something more "refined." Gone is the neat collection of old soda pop bottles. Correct spelling optional.