Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Downhill mountain bikers don’t actually look like they enjoy it, says study

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 11:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I thought some in here might enjoy this. We roadies have a reputation for looking pissed off because we're training so hard. Our cousins on MTBs have basically the same thing from concentrating so hard on not crashing.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...s-study-412503
Old 04-02-19, 11:21 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I did my first race this past weekend, a duathlon, and a friend of mine who was spectating commented that I looked upset during the race. I wasn't, my race went fantastically and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I said that's just my "focus face".
Old 04-02-19, 11:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Well, at least no one calls them "cyclists."
Old 04-02-19, 12:10 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
My favorite part of the article had nothing to do with the study but instead the academic involved, Audun Hetland.

Hetland himself is no stranger to hazardous cycling. His commute on a mountain bike is not for the faint-hearted.

There is thick snow for much of the year, steep hills and a sled to tow, carrying his two children to kindergarten.

That’s why he recruits help from two huskies, attached by reins to the headtube of his hardtail. They pull him along and the daily journey is less than predictable.

“I’m scared several times a week,” he says, “I’m really living on the edge on my ride to work.”
What?
Old 04-02-19, 01:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

So ... he is "living on the edge" and risking the lives of his two toddlers? What a man!
Old 04-02-19, 05:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Not sure if those articles are serious or just seriously late April Fools pranks.

Few athletes look like they're having fun during competition. Usually it hurts to push the body to extremes and we're psychologically conditioned to "be serious" about sports.

It's more noteworthy to see a successful athlete who also appears to enjoy herself. Like Flo-Jo, Florence Griffith Joyner, who often smiled broadly not only at the finish line but midway through a race when her sprint burst hit turbo and she loped away from the pack. And it wasn't mean spirited leering at the expense of her competition. Flo-Jo seemed to genuinely enjoy herself.

Ditto boxer Emmanuel Augustus, who genuinely seemed to enjoy being in the ring, putting on a show. He was his own toughest opponent, often losing controversial close decisions because judges and referees didn't like his clowning tactics. But fans loved him. And he wasn't mean spirited, despite the clowning and taunting. He was just putting on a show to entertain fans and was rewarded with many TV appearances despite his unimpressive but deceptive won/lost record. During "Sucra" Ray Oliveira's final bout, Oliveira suffered a recurrence of a neck injuy that caused spasms of excruciating pain and dizziness. When Augustus noticed Oliveira's discomfort he stopped throwing punches to the head and only threw a few to the body, mostly dancing around and giving his opponent either time to recover or for the ref or corner to stop the bout. The bout was stopped and ruled a TKO before the start of the 8th round to protect Oliveira from further injury. But Augustus didn't take advantage of his opponent's disability.

Old 04-03-19, 06:12 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I thought some in here might enjoy this. We roadies have a reputation for looking pissed off because we're training so hard. Our cousins on MTBs have basically the same thing from concentrating so hard on not crashing.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...s-study-412503
Oh, it's not about the "training hard" game face. Roadies do tend to have the reputation to be more of dic%s. I ride road about 75% and gravel 25%, I can vouch for it. I've played soccer and baseball up to HS back in the day. I competed at a high level in golf until college. Done a couple 1/2 marathon run things. Now I do the bike thing. I've never in any sporting venture come across such a thing like the "dic% roadie". It's not all, but dang it's a lot.

I never showed up to a golf practice where nobody introduced themselves or shook hands or had a chat about what we'd do that day.

I like riding my road bike, but sometimes I really question my choices in how I involve myself.
Old 04-03-19, 10:21 AM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Don't have to try hard to convince me of that. Hanging out on bikeforums for much time can bring you to the same conclusion.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Oh, it's not about the "training hard" game face. Roadies do tend to have the reputation to be more of dic%s. I ride road about 75% and gravel 25%, I can vouch for it. I've played soccer and baseball up to HS back in the day. I competed at a high level in golf until college. Done a couple 1/2 marathon run things. Now I do the bike thing. I've never in any sporting venture come across such a thing like the "dic% roadie". It's not all, but dang it's a lot.

I never showed up to a golf practice where nobody introduced themselves or shook hands or had a chat about what we'd do that day.

I like riding my road bike, but sometimes I really question my choices in how I involve myself.
Old 04-03-19, 12:58 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Nothing about mtb'ing and especially downhill appeals to me in the slightest. Funny read
Old 04-03-19, 03:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
"Downhill mountain bikers don’t actually look like they enjoy it, says study"

which never interviewed any one in person, but just watched videos, online?
Old 04-03-19, 03:36 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
It always baffles me how disparate different disciplines of cycling can be - and how ignorant we can be of each other. We really are birds of a feather!

MTB is arguable the most diverse discipline with XC featuring fit, lyrcra clad, shaved-legged types who train mostly on road bikes, and full on DH riders on the other end that look more like they're equipped for motocross. Guess what - it's all good!

XC MTB is totally a blast and I do look forward to focusing on that after the road racing season is over. One thing I appreciate about XC (and cyclocross) is that there is an element of athleticism that you don't see on road - you need to be both fit and skilled to do well.
Old 04-03-19, 06:49 PM
Maelochs

Who determines what signifies a look of "enjoyment" for each individual? Somebody needs to do a study!
Old 04-03-19, 06:53 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
They are angry that they had to buy a lift ticket because they aren't in good enough shape to ride to the starting point.
Old 04-03-19, 06:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
All this needs to be complete is brain scans
Genesis 49:16-17