Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless

Old 06-17-19, 08:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I recently went to Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs. Unbelievable. Faster, smoother and lighter than any clincher I've ever ridden. Love this setup. They're 25s. And, easier to mount than my clinchers. Sounds like you're having fun. Perfect.
Old 06-20-19, 08:06 PM
CasualInSoCal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So do these Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless tires work with the Mavic UST system? Or are they different?
Old 06-21-19, 01:11 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualInSoCal
So do these Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless tires work with the Mavic UST system? Or are they different?
Internet rumblings say GP5000s adhere to the yet-to-be-published ETRTO TL standard, which internet rumblings state is based off of Mavic’s UST. Sorry I can’t be of more help - I’ve tried hard to find first hand sources of this information and struck out so I have no idea if either of those statements are true. It may just be better to assume they’re false.
Old 06-21-19, 05:28 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Don't know, I do know that someone in a FB group I’m in had issues getting the tire on his Ksyrium Pro UST rims. Don’t know if he ever got them on or if it was an operator headspace and timing issue with respect to mounting.

I can tell you that I have been super happy with the Yksion Pro UST tires.
Old 06-21-19, 11:32 AM
CasualInSoCal

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Internet rumblings say GP5000s adhere to the yet-to-be-published ETRTO TL standard, which internet rumblings state is based off of Mavic’s UST. Sorry I can’t be of more help - I’ve tried hard to find first hand sources of this information and struck out so I have no idea if either of those statements are true. It may just be better to assume they’re false.
Originally Posted by jadocs
Don't know, I do know that someone in a FB group I’m in had issues getting the tire on his Ksyrium Pro UST rims. Don’t know if he ever got them on or if it was an operator headspace and timing issue with respect to mounting.

That's a bummer. UST seem like a well designed spec, and I'm willing to jump on the bandwagon, but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires.
Old 06-24-19, 12:54 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
That's a bummer. UST seem like a well designed spec, and I'm willing to jump on the bandwagon, but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires.
Aha. Found a source:

“Universal:
The only tubeless system that is universally accepted and recognized by every tyre and rim manufacturers.
The only tubeless system that is included in the standards that rule the bicycle wheel and tyre world! ISO 4210 / 5775 (in progress) and ETRTO 2018.
Rider’s benefit : the only tubeless system that has been tested and approved for safety and ease of use.”

https://engineerstalk.mavic.com/en/r...asy-safe-fast/

I tried putting a mavic tire on a UST rim at sea otter last year (they were making a big deal out of it) and I can confirm that it was truly a cinch. If that’s the standard we’re adpoting, then I’m all for it.
Old 07-25-19, 11:56 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For what its worth, I am now running a set of Schwalbe pro ones 25mm on my Mavic UST rims. They were a little harder to mount than my Yksions were and needed tire levers while the Yksions go on easy finger only. I was able to seat the rear wheel on the beads with just a floor pump but the front wheel needed a boost from my air compressor to seat the beads. I am interested in hearing if anyone else is trying the GP5000s on UST rims. I have ran the GP4000s but with tubes on my UST rims so I am hopeful.

Also how many miles are people getting on thier GP 5000s. My Yksions only got about 2000 where I can get 5000 on the GP 4000s. If I can get 5000 miles on GP5000s and they fit the UST rims, I want to switch for the next set of tires.
Old 07-25-19, 01:07 PM
jadocs

I have well over 2k miles on my Yksion Pro's
Old 07-25-19, 01:13 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
They are expensive so another reason to keep riding my Conti GP 4000 IIs with tubes. They last and last and last...…..I have over 6000 miles on mine and no chords showing.
Old 07-25-19, 02:06 PM
bruce19

Saw a video done by some guy with a British accent trying to mount them on Mavic USTs. Couldn't inflate them with a floor pump. Looked like a hassle. My Mavic USTs with Mavic tires were a breeze.
Old 07-25-19, 02:09 PM
bruce19

Just curious. What is the problem with Mavic tires?
Old 07-25-19, 11:20 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
If you go to Mavic's website it's riddled with negative reviews. I just took mine out for a spin and they felt great. I think it all depends on what type of road you're riding on. These tires seem to work best on ideal tarmac; flat and smooth. I was impressed with them under those conditions. The tackiness reminds me of the Pirelli Supercorsa SP motorcycle tires, which are pretty good, non-warmer track tires.

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 07-25-19 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 11:30 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
who said there was a problem with Mavic tires?

Some people like to have some options, but I'm just guessing.

Last edited by noodle soup; 07-25-19 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 03:27 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by noodle soup
who said there was a problem with Mavic tires?

Some people like to have some options, but I'm just guessing.
As you guess that some people like options, I guess that he's not happy with Mavic tires based on his statement...."but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires." I'd like to know what he means by that. I have no problem with the Yksion tires.
Old 07-26-19, 03:30 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
If you go to Mavic's website it's riddled with negative reviews. I just took mine out for a spin and they felt great. I think it all depends on what type of road you're riding on. These tires seem to work best on ideal tarmac; flat and smooth. I was impressed with them under those conditions. The tackiness reminds me of the Pirelli Supercorsa SP motorcycle tires, which are pretty good, non-warmer track tires.
Well, since I run Pilot Powers on my Ducati I can't speak to the Pirelli comparison but I have no problems with the Mavic tires. I can't speak to longevity yet but they do everything I need them to do.
Old 07-26-19, 06:46 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I think there might have been some manufacturing issues early on. I can tell you that I'm not even thinking about trying different tires. I have found that the Yksion Pro's are great all around...flat and smooth tarmac just makes them shine even brighter....IMO.

....and Mavic Customer Service = Phenomenal
Old 07-26-19, 08:20 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have approx 1700 Km on my Gp5000 TL (25mm wide) mounted on HED Belgium Plus wheels on my Trek Emonda SL6

best tyres that I have used so far .... fast, zero punctures so far and I ride on crappy potholed roads in the dry and very wet .... grip has also been good .... I use Orange Seal regular .... what I have noticed is that some thin strands (like hairs) become loose on the sides but this has not been an issue as I snip them off with a nail clipper

on my Touring bike (Miyata 1000 Grand Tourer), I have the 5000 clincher version in 32mm wide .... 1900km .... zero punctures and these are really good. I will be having a tubeless wheelset built for my Miyata and I will try the 32mm tubeless version

these are very good tyres ................. buy them!
Old 07-26-19, 12:34 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Well, since I run Pilot Powers on my Ducati I can't speak to the Pirelli comparison but I have no problems with the Mavic tires. I can't speak to longevity yet but they do everything I need them to do.
The PP are more of a sport touring tire. They're more of an analog for the continental gp2ks2. They are a great overall tire.

I think there might have been some manufacturing issues early on. I can tell you that I'm not even thinking about trying different tires. I have found that the Yksion Pro's are great all around...flat and smooth tarmac just makes them shine even brighter....IMO.

....and Mavic Customer Service = Phenomenal
This gives me hope after reading all the negative reviews. Even though I've only rode on the tires once so far, they feel amazing. Everything about them is superior to the gp4ks2, with the exception of longevity. A lot of it could be attribited to them being tubeless though, and the fact that I'm now using them on new rims.
Old 07-27-19, 08:15 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Can’t speak about the GP5KTL as I haven’t tried them yet. But since they have already been mentioned, another vote for the Mavic Yksion tires. I’m running them on both Mavic UST and Ultegra 6800 TLR rims; easy to seal, smooth ride, low rolling resistance, can confirm one puncture sealed fine. So far no problems.
Old 07-27-19, 08:27 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lack of options, longevity, and durability. The Yksions are great tires if you want a race tire as long as they have less than 1000 miles on them. After that, you will really start to notice sealant all over your frame. Broken glass is almost guaranteed to put the sealant to work after about the 1K mile mark. If I accidentally roll over broken glass with GP4000 with over 5000 miles on them I seldom puncture. With the Yksions at the 2000 mile point I can usually count over 30 wet spots where the sealant did its thing and to get the tires to last another 500 from that, I usually have to start applying rubber patches to the inside of the tires.

Then factor in that I can usually find GP4000s for 2.5 times cheaper than Yksions USTs and they last 2.5 times longer, that makes the cost of ownership of the Yksions over 6 times higher. Now I know it’s an apples to oranges comparison because the GP4000s need tubes but that is why I am on this thread trying to find out more on the 5000s. But ultimately, Mavic needs to introduce another choice for a training tire with better durability, longevity and price that is going to stand up to a lot of training miles and the Yksion USTs just aren’t that option.
Old 07-27-19, 10:29 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Lack of options, longevity, and durability. The Yksions are great tires if you want a race tire as long as they have less than 1000 miles on them. After that, you will really start to notice sealant all over your frame. Broken glass is almost guaranteed to put the sealant to work after about the 1K mile mark. If I accidentally roll over broken glass with GP4000 with over 5000 miles on them I seldom puncture. With the Yksions at the 2000 mile point I can usually count over 30 wet spots where the sealant did its thing and to get the tires to last another 500 from that, I usually have to start applying rubber patches to the inside of the tires.

Then factor in that I can usually find GP4000s for 2.5 times cheaper than Yksions USTs and they last 2.5 times longer, that makes the cost of ownership of the Yksions over 6 times higher. Now I know it’s an apples to oranges comparison because the GP4000s need tubes but that is why I am on this thread trying to find out more on the 5000s. But ultimately, Mavic needs to introduce another choice for a training tire with better durability, longevity and price that is going to stand up to a lot of training miles and the Yksion USTs just aren’t that option.
Thank you. That's good to know. Will keep my eyes open.
Old 07-27-19, 12:13 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I loved my Conti 5K clinchers and just got 5K TLs installed in my new carbon wheels. They roll great but unfortunately I just noticed the front tire has a "wobble" in one section. Wheel is fine. Brought it in to the LBS to check, they took it apart, cleaned sealant off, felt the area where the wobble was carefully and couldn't discern why there was a wobble (everything felt normal, no damage visible). They're ordering a new one for me to replace since it's only a few days old.
Old 07-29-19, 09:04 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,022 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
I loved my Conti 5K clinchers and just got 5K TLs installed in my new carbon wheels. They roll great but unfortunately I just noticed the front tire has a "wobble" in one section. Wheel is fine. Brought it in to the LBS to check, they took it apart, cleaned sealant off, felt the area where the wobble was carefully and couldn't discern why there was a wobble (everything felt normal, no damage visible). They're ordering a new one for me to replace since it's only a few days old.
Interestingly, the front 5000TL on my Endurace had a visible wobble in the middle of the tire. Not sure what the deal was, I couldn't feel it, but I could see it. When I swapped the tires over to my Roubaix last week (actually my LBS did it for me), I guess the put it on the back wheel as I no longer see it.

-Matt
Old 07-29-19, 09:08 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,022 Times in 1,425 Posts
My latest pair of GP5000TL now have 1120 miles on them with no problems.

-Matt
Old 07-29-19, 11:05 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
The funny thing is, I noticed on my ride yesterday along the Pac Coast from Ventura to Carpinteria that I actually rode past a Continental Automotive Group HQ in Carpinteria. Unfortunately it was a Sunday otherwise I might have just brought in my tire...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.