Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crack on seat lug (top) of 1987 ALAN; slow failure or catastrophic failure?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crack on seat lug (top) of 1987 ALAN; slow failure or catastrophic failure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 03:34 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by skiron_2500
Hello there!

A crack has developed along the top of the seat post lug of my 1987 ALAN. (When I bought the bike second hand in 2010, the crack was one third of what it is now, stemming from the seat post. Over time, it developed into what you can see here.)

I have accepted that this means the failure of the frame, or else hanging it on the wall (god damn, it's beautiful!). Yes, I know that these frames can't be welded; and yes, I have a steel-framed bike. But I was wondering if I could wrap a hose clamp around this lug, and use the frame for gentle rides, until failure occurred.

However, I could only do this if the failure was slow and safe (e.g. the top tube started to rattle), and not if the failure was to be sudden and violent (e.g. the top tube suddenly separated from the lug, half of the bike lurched forward, and I fell into the front wheel and the road).

So, does anyone have the experience and/or engineering know-how to answer? What would it be -- slow or sudden failure?? Help would be greatly appreciated!!

^ The crack up close.

^ The crack from further back.

^Assorted hose clamps--up to the task?
This is a fatigue failure and every joint in the bike is at risk of failure. It cannot be fixed anymore. You could find another Vitus or Alan on Ebay but you can get a much better bike new for a reasonable price from your Trek, Cannondale or Specialized dealer.

Let me underscore that that bike is NOW a deathtrap and can have catastrophic failures at any time. You do not want to be riding down a hill or going fast with a strong tailwind and have the rear triangle fall off.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 07-22-19, 01:35 AM
Munny

Bikes: 50 ? More?

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I'll unsubscribe from this subject overloaded with answers not reading Skiron posts.

It drifted away and transformed into a don't like Alan, don't like Vitus storm...
Likes For Munny:
Old 07-22-19, 05:36 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Munny
It drifted away and transformed into a don't like Alan, don't like Vitus storm...
No, it turned into a "This Alan is broken, and many others have broken before it, so no matter how much you want to believe you can hose clamp it, it's a bad idea" storm.

-Kurt

Old 07-22-19, 06:21 AM
Munny

Bikes: 50 ? More?

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
How painfull it is to be quoted after you express the desire NOT to hear about this.

How difficult is it to READ what have been the exchanges and to consider the other answers confusing ... Vitus and Alan, a vintage bike (Alan) with non vintage US bikes difficult to obtain in the country of the poster, etc etc...

Kurt, If you had read the author, he had already purchased a replacement and he was only looking to see if TEMPORARELY he could ... until the new frame came

I would NOT do it with my Alan but I have seen worse fracture at the same place being riden for a long time. I rode alongside one of them for 100 Km,..

I've seen other being repaired

This was not the question.

If you want to continue a bunch of post here, I'm not interested
Old 07-22-19, 08:28 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

How painfull it is to be quoted after you express the desire NOT to hear about this.
Well, you chimed in with a complaint, so I don't know what you were expecting - folks to ignore you?

I've removed your user ID in the quotation code, so hopefully it won't notify you again. I would think the forum must have some system to turn this off at your end though.

Kurt, If you had read the author, he had already purchased a replacement and he was only looking to see if TEMPORARELY he could ... until the new frame came
Yes, I read the OP's post. Frames don't care whether you are temporarily riding them when they fail.

I would NOT do it with my Alan but I have seen worse fracture at the same place being riden for a long time. I rode alongside one of them for 100 Km,..
Are you prepared to take that chance on behalf of the OP? IMHO, it seems very much like the OP has been fishing for community agreement that he can ride it temporarily, but the advice being given isn't in favor of his emotions. It's a risk, and the public opinion seems to be overwhelmingly against the idea. Perhaps not the answer he wanted to hear, but it is an answer to his question.

Discussion about the structural integrity of ALAN frames is pretty much required to assess the OP's frame failure, so yes, this is relevant to the discussion - because it is an inherent part of the answer.

If you want to continue a bunch of post here, I'm not interested
Then kindly don't dredge up the thread after five days of inactivity

-Kurt

Old 07-29-19, 02:42 AM
skiron_2500

Bikes: 1980s ALAN, 1990s Holdsworth, 1980s? Evans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Kurt; no, I wasn't fishing for community agreement. I was looking for specific information about how this lug would fail, based on experience or mechanical know-how. In large part, this was down to curiosity about how frames are held together. The post above, about frame tension, was just the kind of thing I was looking for, as were the anecdotes about riding alongside ALANs/Vituses with this kind of failure.

All the best
Old 07-29-19, 05:49 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by skiron_2500
Hi Kurt; no, I wasn't fishing for community agreement. I was looking for specific information about how this lug would fail, based on experience or mechanical know-how. In large part, this was down to curiosity about how frames are held together. The post above, about frame tension, was just the kind of thing I was looking for, as were the anecdotes about riding alongside ALANs/Vituses with this kind of failure.

All the best
No worries, apologies for trying to read more into it than there is. There's a fair amount of info here now about how the tubes and lugs are assembled, so you should have more than enough info to make a pseudo-scientific assessment as to whether that hose clamp fix will work or not.

I do think frame tension can't be simplified as explained here though, depending on the forces being applied to the frame at any one given moment - especially during braking.

-Kurt