Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

OMG - Am I Really Going to Buy Another Bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

OMG - Am I Really Going to Buy Another Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-19, 06:34 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I liked my Madone a lot better when I got rid of the handlebar stem combo.
Old 08-04-19, 06:51 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I do not think a Madone is worth the expense and complexity unless you are really desperate for one.
I actually have a Emonda ALR5 (105 mechanical) and Madone (DA di2), both rim brake.
I ride the Emonda more.
Dean, on thinking more abouot your response...

What 'Madone complexity' are you referring to? Is it the di2 shifting (in which case it really isn't a Madone vs Emonda thing). It isn't obvious to me how a frame/fork/handlebars bring complexity, but that is probably just lack of understanding on my part.

Thanks.

dave
Old 08-04-19, 06:56 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Originally Posted by colnago62
I liked my Madone a lot better when I got rid of the handlebar stem combo.
Am I correct in assuming that you are referring to that integrated bar/stem thing that (apparently) the lower end Madone's do not have. Is that right? What is it that was a problem for you.

Thanks.

dave
Old 08-05-19, 07:23 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Am I correct in assuming that you are referring to that integrated bar/stem thing that (apparently) the lower end Madone's do not have. Is that right? What is it that was a problem for you.

Thanks.

dave
I think the big complaint with systems like that is that adding/removing spacers requires removing all the cabling from the area as well, and then reinstalling.
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 08-05-19, 08:48 AM
DaveLeeNC

Abe - thanks. That makes sense.

dave
Old 08-05-19, 08:52 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Abe - thanks. That makes sense.

dave
Yea, I mean it is sort of an unavoidable problem if you're going to be hiding everything away nice and cleanly like that. SOME bikes have cool little spacers with breaks and hinges on them that are a workaround for that issue though I believe. I'm not sure if you can just buy a few for use on any bike though.
Old 08-05-19, 09:04 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I mean does hiding cables really offer an aero performance advantage...pretty sure that’s all aesthetics lol
Likes For MyTi:
Old 08-05-19, 09:09 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
<snip>

Second when you are retired and much of your 'income' is derived from savings, the question 'can I afford it' is relatively ambiguous. Given an anticipated required income stream, 'how much is enough savings' is basically not knowable. Things are typically a bit more obvious when you are living strictly off an income (in the traditional sense).
<snip>

dave
I've been there all my adult life. We've never had "an income." I currently own 2 used bikes, one '99 Trek that I bought new but on sale in CA and had shipped up, and one rain bike which I built for $800. All the bikes I've ever owned before the Trek were used. Neither my wife nor I have every owned a new car. Our last car went almost 300k miles. We're all about utility, except for event jerseys, which we just can't resist. Almost all our jerseys are from events. OTOH, most of our vehicles, motor and human powered, over the decades have been higher end than we could have ever afforded new. Hence my rec for buying used. That's what I'd do.
Old 08-05-19, 09:18 AM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by MyTi
I mean does hiding cables really offer an aero performance advantage...pretty sure that’s all aesthetics lol
It's both.

I mean obviously it's not going to make you go from cat 5 pack fodder to tearing up P/1/2 races just by hiding your cables lol. But yea, my understanding is that anything with a circular cross section is Bad, with a capital 'B.' I seem to remember from somewhere that hiding cables saves a small but significant number of watts at normal speeds. Like ~5 maybe? Which is definitely not nothing. For many people, that could well equal the gains made through a brutal, 6 week structured training plan.
Old 08-05-19, 09:29 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
And this brings up a related question. How would the readers out there trade-off the utility of similarly equipped Madone's vs Emonda's. Assume the rider routinely rides in the 18-20 mph range (solo) but isn't a racer type, other than occasionally setting out on some kind of solo effort with some kind of personal performance goal. Typically the answer is that aero almost always trumps weight, although a teeney bit of aero is unlikely to trump 10 pounds of weight. Additionally the Madone is a sexier bike. I honestly don't know if I prefer that or not. I am not the kind of rider that likes to draw attention to himself (I almost always buy plain jersey's, for example).

dave
Aero trumps weight, but proper fit trumps both. I'd love to own one of the more recent Madones, but the TT is far too long for my body(very long legs/short torso and arms).
Old 08-05-19, 02:24 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
It's both.

I mean obviously it's not going to make you go from cat 5 pack fodder to tearing up P/1/2 races just by hiding your cables lol. But yea, my understanding is that anything with a circular cross section is Bad, with a capital 'B.' I seem to remember from somewhere that hiding cables saves a small but significant number of watts at normal speeds. Like ~5 maybe? Which is definitely not nothing. For many people, that could well equal the gains made through a brutal, 6 week structured training plan.
Well that’s understandable save 5 Watts here and 5 watts there it adds up I guess. But still think only if you are racing and how many people here are racing? 😂
Likes For MyTi:
Old 08-05-19, 02:36 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by MyTi
Well that’s understandable save 5 Watts here and 5 watts there it adds up I guess. But still think only if you are racing and how many people here are racing? 😂

Same question can be asked of just about any piece of cycling equipment. Dunno about you, but I see an awful lot of non-racers showing up for group rides with blingy carbon wheels, $3000-$5000 bikes.
Old 08-05-19, 03:54 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Dean, on thinking more abouot your response...

What 'Madone complexity' are you referring to? Is it the di2 shifting (in which case it really isn't a Madone vs Emonda thing). It isn't obvious to me how a frame/fork/handlebars bring complexity, but that is probably just lack of understanding on my part.

Thanks.

dave
It is the integrated/hidden cabling that looks so clean and cool but makes access and wrenching on them that much more of a chore. That is why I went di2, so at least I wouldn't have to deal with shift cables. But even to just fit a rear brake cable is certainly not a 5 min job. Mine has also been prone to rattling on course chip seal and that has not been easy to track down and fix either. The bar/stem does have a clever split spacer design so you can change bar height as easily as a normal bike.
Old 08-05-19, 04:05 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Although disc brakes are not my preference, they have one additional advantage. And that is that you don't have to ask any brake questions when choosing various carbon disk wheels. Carbon and rim brakes seem a bit marginal to my uninformed mind.

dave
the solution is to get these Bullet 50, no issues with brake pads or with changing wheels. I love mine!
Old 08-07-19, 04:19 PM
DaveLeeNC

Just ordered a 2020 Trek Emonda SL 6 (rim brakes). So starting probably early next week when the bike arrives, N+1 will be 3 where it has been 2 since I returned to actually riding a bike (as opposed to several years of spin bike riding in a spare bedroom) in 2014. And until 2014 I guess that N+1 was maybe 1.5 as the bike was in the attic, ignored, and unrideable (after around 16 years of sitting in various attics and garages).

dave
Old 08-07-19, 04:25 PM
SundayNiagara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just ordered a 2020 Trek Emonda SL 6 (rim brakes). So starting probably early next week when the bike arrives, N+1 will be 3 where it has been 2 since I returned to actually riding a bike (as opposed to several years of spin bike riding in a spare bedroom) in 2014. And until 2014 I guess that N+1 was maybe 1.5 as the bike was in the attic, ignored, and unrideable (after around 16 years of sitting in various attics and garages).

dave
Excellent choice. Site says 16 lbs.
Old 08-08-19, 09:51 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
The short answer is..Yes. You are going to buy another bike. When I got back into cycling, about 15 yrs. ago, I had a LeMond (aka: Trek) with a triple crank. Saw an awesome Masi. My GF bought it for me. All Dura Ace. She bought it as a surprise birthday present. The surprise was that although I love it, it's a 58 and I ride 54-56. I made it work and, still, I loved riding it. I sold the LeMond to a friend. Then a friend sold me a Guru Sidero (steel) because it didn't fit her but was my exact size. The Masi got put away. Then I was turning 70 and my friends were riding rail/trails so I bought myself a birthday present.......Colnago World Cup CX. Several months ago there was a killer deal on a CAAD 12. I bought it. Now I have 3 road bikes and a CX bike. So, yes, you are going to buy another bike. That's just one of the rules.
Old 08-08-19, 10:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

dave
You bought a fantastic, light, climbers bike for a big climb. Excellent choice. A light bike is fun to ride in general and you'll get a lot of miles and enjoyment from it. But you also made the right choice.

🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest: