Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why Are Bicyclists Unpopular?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Why Are Bicyclists Unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 12:05 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most of the riders I know are popular. They, however, lack the power to control comments.
Old 11-13-08, 12:40 PM
AdamD
Biker, Lover, Fighter

Bikes: My own hand built frames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's the typical "I hate my situation and therefore I'm going to reflect my anger on someone else rather than doing something about my own *****ty life" attitude. The way I look at it is I can't do anything about it, so I ignore it. Good luck to all those people who hate their lives yet do nothing to improve them.
Old 11-13-08, 12:57 PM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that law breaking is a poor excuse for motorists venting road rage. I see a lot of bad cycling in town (Cambridge), but tend to get the abuse when out in the country riding as predictably as you like in a group. Motorists sure hate the lycra, but I think they really just feel angry that there are people keeping fit somewhere that isn't a gym.
Old 11-13-08, 12:58 PM
frymaster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeytoun
1) In our society, disparities in power set up a whole chain of "paying abuse forward" behavior...
2) Since we are impotent to lash out at our "superiors" we are constantly looking for a scapegoat to punish for our misery....
3) Once one has chosen a scapegoat, one must then blame the scapegoat for the cruel treatment it receives...
The antidote: Treat people with respect.... take charge of your own behavior.
hm. i wish i'd said that.
Old 11-13-08, 01:10 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very popular and everyone loves me and my bike.

I do understand though that not everyone can be as cool as me.
Old 11-13-08, 02:42 PM
DaveZ
DeadheadDave

Bikes: 1 Trek road bike, 1 Cannondale

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end it's just easier to be an a-hole in a car because of the anonymity.

I think that's it.
Old 11-13-08, 02:59 PM
frymaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveZ
In the end it's just easier to be an a-hole on the internet because of the anonymity.
fixed.
Old 11-13-08, 04:05 PM
defiancecp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really makes me sad to see cyclist so adamantly refuse responsibility altogether. Face it, there ARE cyclists out there that draw a lot of negative attention by doing stupid, illegal things that force drivers to react. When driving my car, if a jerk runs a low speed red light in a car and I almost hit him, I think, "Darn you, I could have crashed and it would have damaged both our cars and inconvenienced us!!". When a biker does the same, it scares the HELL out of me, knowing that I could have been involved in an accident that would *KILL* a person. Can you blame me for remembering the latter with a lot more ire? Not to mention, I live in a heavy biking area - on my route to work, I honestly don't remember the last time I've seen a car blow through one of the signs or lights, but I see it regularly (at least once or twice a week) with cyclists.

Now sure, there's some level of unfair entitlement that contributes to the hate. It's probably most of it in fact... but to deny that the somewhat common disregard for stop signs and lights among cyclists in some areas is is a contributor as well is just stupid and irresponsible.

Last edited by defiancecp; 11-13-08 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-13-08, 04:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by defiancecp
It really makes me sad to see cyclist so adamantly refuse responsibility altogether.
two points: first:
there is no reason for some criminal motorist to assault me because he saw some teenager run a stop sign yesterday.
second:
motorists are constantly getting in each others way and slowing each other down. Most people drive like self-centered idiots some of the time. In most areas of the U.S., nobody takes this as a reason to go insane. A cyclist riding legally is seen by some motorists as license to engage in threatening and criminal behavior.

And overall, I get tired of people that make veiled suggestions that we somehow deserve all the bad treatment we get. That's simply nonsense.

I honestly don't remember the last time I've seen a car blow through one of the signs or lights, but I see it regularly (at least once or twice a week) with cyclists.
you must not live within 10 miles of the geographic center of Pennsylvania, because on my ride to work I see people drive through red lights and stop signs multiple times. My daughter did a study for drivers ed, and the only people who stopped for the stop signs she monitored were me and my wife, and we knew she was there. Lights are a bit different, but motorists around here blow through red lights if they are turning right. I don't see that very often when they are going straight. As far as cyclists blowing through red lights, I almost always see them follow Idaho rules, which are perfectly safe. I think that all states should have Idaho rules for cyclists.

Last edited by unterhausen; 11-13-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-13-08, 04:20 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Basil Moss
Motorists sure hate the lycra, but I think they really just feel angry that there are people keeping fit somewhere that isn't a gym.
+1. It's part of society's compartmentalization. You aren't supposed to work out except at the gym. You aren't supposed to bike except as a child. You aren't supposed to heed the limit except when a cop's in sight. It goes on and on. The media helps propagate a very cookie-cutter (and commercial) approach to life.
Old 11-13-08, 04:24 PM
defiancecp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[quote=unterhausen;7845932]two points: first:
there is no reason for some criminal motorist to assault me because he saw some teenager run a stop sign yesterday.

Agreed. And of course, completely irrelevant. Yes, it's unreasonable for anyone to assault you. But that doesn't change the fact that people get a bad impression of bikes when one of the most common exposures they have to them is dangerous lawlessness.
second:
motorists are constantly getting in each others way and slowing each other down. Most people drive like self-centered idiots some of the time. In most areas of the U.S., nobody takes this as a reason to go insane. A cyclist riding legally is seen by some motorists as license to engage in threatening and criminal behavior.
Agreed. And of course, completely irrelevant. Doesn't change the fact that by defending those cyclists who routinely break the law, we defend those who make an already horrible problem worse.
And overall, I get tired of people that make veiled suggestions that we somehow deserve all the bad treatment we get. That's simply nonsense.
Of course that's nonsense, and it's not at all what I said. The problem exists either way. Lawlessness of some cyclists makes it worse. Does that make it our fault? Of course not. Does that mean whe deserve it? Hell no. But to deny that some cyclists make the problem worse is, as I said earlier, stupid and irresponsible.

As for where I live, Little Rock. The intersection between Cedar Hill and Cantrell is one of the worst - Cyclists routinely weave across cantrell on a red here. I don't know why, and believe me there are few places it would be stupider to do this, but I see it all the time.
Old 11-13-08, 04:25 PM
frymaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really makes me sad to see cyclist so adamantly refuse responsibility altogether.
well, no one said that cyclists were "refusing responsibility altogether". what i think people here are saying is that drivers hate people who get in their way, period. and, from our perspective as cyclists, that's us. when you use loaded language like that it sounds like your accusing cyclists of some sort of reckless endangerment or something.
Old 11-13-08, 04:30 PM
defiancecp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frymaster
well, no one said that cyclists were "refusing responsibility altogether". what i think people here are saying is that drivers hate people who get in their way, period. and, from our perspective as cyclists, that's us. when you use loaded language like that it sounds like your accusing cyclists of some sort of reckless endangerment or something.
*I* say cyclists generally refuse responsibility altogether. Every time someone mentions it, the masses start raving about how drivers are worse, and they speed, and they hurt us worse in wrecks, and that someone yelled at them today ,and ANYTHING but the original subject. Sure, all those things are true, and they're all real problems, and generally they're larger problems than cyclists who can't seem to decipher the color red -- but they're all discussed ad nauseum, and they're not relevant to this question, so it comes across as an adamant rejection of responsibility.

For all these problems, there are two solutions: make peace with drivers, or make war with drivers. If you want to go to war, I'm switching sides: we're outnumbered and outgunned. If you want to make peace, it's important to take care of ANY aspect of the problem that is within our power, then it all comes down to education. No, it's not an easy solution, it's damn hard - but it's better than war.
Old 11-13-08, 05:07 PM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we all need a big hug.
Old 11-13-08, 07:43 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
given that cyclists represent such a pitifully small percentage of road users it's amazing to me when I hear of automobilists reactions (re: over reactions).

I'm an everyday cyclist who racks up a fair number of miles on a bike per year but I also drive a car once in a while. I'm pretty cyclist aware as a driver and I still have few, if any, issues with the cyclists I see. To me it's much ado about nothing.
Old 11-13-08, 07:59 PM
tooljunkie2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drivers should be angry at cops for not cracking down and ticketing illegal behavior. Drivers speed if they know they won't get caught--just like cyclists don't follow the rules because they are unlikely to be ticketed.

Hate the game, not the cyclist.
Old 11-13-08, 08:03 PM
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the type; please allow me a couple of personal generalizations:

MTBRs : Friendly :: Roadies : Annoying

Commuters : Helpful :: VCers : Survivors
Old 11-13-08, 11:18 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway has all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle...
If I have all the rights, I should be able to ride in any lane or lane position that I please, including Interstate Highways.

I seem to have all of the rights, except for the ones I don't - yet I have to follow the rules as if I had all of the rights. Screw them.
Old 11-13-08, 11:21 PM
JeffB502
Arrogant Safety Nanny

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.2 FX, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2new2this
[snip] ...No driver drives by and thinks "Man, I wish I could ride a bike to where I am going"
I do (when I'm driving)...
Old 11-13-08, 11:23 PM
JeffB502
Arrogant Safety Nanny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If I have all the rights, I should be able to ride in any lane or lane position that I please, including Interstate Highways.

I seem to have all of the rights, except for the ones I don't - yet I have to follow the rules as if I had all of the rights. Screw them.
If you're going the same speed as the other road users you do have the right to ride in any lane or lane position that you please...except highways posted not allowing you to enter due to a safer alternate route existing. Bicycles are generally considered slow moving vehicles, especially on roads with speed limits of 65mph or higher...would you expect to see a tractor doing 15mph in the fast lane on an interstate highway?
Old 11-13-08, 11:25 PM
frymaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*I* say cyclists generally refuse responsibility altogether. Every time someone mentions it, the masses start raving about ... bzz bzz bzz... Sure, all those things are true, and they're all real problems, and generally they're larger problems than cyclists who can't seem to decipher the color red
well, sounds like you have done a good job of prioritizing the problems. i vote we start making the solution by starting with the larger ones.

If you want to go to war, I'm switching sides:
melodramatic and mercenary. a rare combination indeed.
Old 11-13-08, 11:59 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffB502
If you're going the same speed as the other road users you do have the right to ride in any lane or lane position that you please...except highways posted not allowing you to enter due to a safer alternate route existing. Bicycles are generally considered slow moving vehicles, especially on roads with speed limits of 65mph or higher...would you expect to see a tractor doing 15mph in the fast lane on an interstate highway?
I bike on state highways that have 60 mph limits. Most interstates in the city have 60 mph limits and huge shoulders too. No difference, except at the merge points where things would get real interesting.

I am told to act like a car only when it is convenient for the cars. Then I have to act like a rat in the gutter according to laws for which I have a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y no respect whatsoever.
Old 11-14-08, 12:04 AM
JeffB502
Arrogant Safety Nanny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have laws that tell you to act like a rat in the gutter they should be changed. I've never heard of such laws existing though. It's legal for me to ride on many 65mph freeways here (US101 for example) but the freeway would be out of my way for most trips.
Old 11-14-08, 12:19 AM
djnzlab1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Bottom Line

HI,
remember the bottom line if you side swipe a car, you may have to pay to repaint the car and remove a dent. IF you side swipe a bike rider you may have commited a act of vehicular
homicide, so if you ride bikes its important to be very defensive even if your in the right, or you may be dead.as they say dead right ..
Doug

Last edited by djnzlab1; 11-14-08 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-14-08, 12:53 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
*I* say cyclists generally refuse responsibility altogether. ...
You sound like a brand new rider that does not commute. You still have a motorist mind set. Try cycle commuting, rather than just some recreational riding, and learn.

You really do not see motorist breaking the law? Arkansas must have the most law abiding motorist in the nation.
On an average commute, I see an average of 12 motorist make left turns after the light has turned red at 4 separate intersections. Motorist rarely come to complete stops at stop signs. Many barely even slow (some even speed up, to beat cross traffic) when making a right turn on red; ignoring the pedestrians with the right of way. There is one section of my commute, when traffic backs up, motorist will move onto the shoulder without signal and illegally drive on the shoulder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.