Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicyclist beaten by Other Bicylist Over a Light

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicyclist beaten by Other Bicylist Over a Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 03:53 PM
Severian
META

Bikes: Gary Fisher Aquila (retired), Specialized Allez Sport (in parts), Cannondale R500, HP Velotechnic Street Machine, Dented Blue Fixed Gear (retired), Seven Tsunami SSFG, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Hardtail (alloy version)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randya
Wow, now you've got nothing but excuses...why am I not surprised?

It's got nothing to do with the states and everything to do with the resistance of the bicycle manufacturers, substituting the dumb reflector standard for a genuine lighting equipment standard was their idea.
Ok, drop the BS condescending tone. Read your law; learn how this sort of legislation works and then you get the right to toss statements around like this. In fact, I'm going to follow my own advice and suggest a resource:

https://www.bicyclelaw.com/html/index.html

That's Bob Mionske's website. Read his book Bicycling and The Law: Your Rights as a Cyclist. Mionske covers subjects such as how bicycle legislation is created, harassment, accident reporting and advocacy.

On the subject of advocacy; in the case of forcing companies to put lights on all bicycles they manufacture. If there was a groundswell of public sentiment for such a legislation then it would probably happen. But, because we live in a car-centric culture people think "Oh, its night out.. I'll drive." rather than get on their bicycle. So we're left with people who don't want lights, and people who do.

And this couple, who probably thought they'd be home before it got dark and got caught outside. They should have been prepared. Instead they got "nagged" as some of us would like to state, and decided to beat up the person who "nagged" them.
Old 12-04-08, 03:55 PM
Severian
META

Bikes: Gary Fisher Aquila (retired), Specialized Allez Sport (in parts), Cannondale R500, HP Velotechnic Street Machine, Dented Blue Fixed Gear (retired), Seven Tsunami SSFG, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Hardtail (alloy version)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JRA
Requiring lights on new bicycles will lead to bicycles that come with useless lights that the buyer is going to have to pay for just so they can remove them. It's bad enough to have to remove the crappy reflectors that come with many bicycles now (although, fortunately, they can't cost very much). If I want to put lights and reflectors on, I'll choose them myself, thank you.

As for providing unsolicited advice to others, it's likely to be counter-productive. If someone wants to play at being Barney Fife, they should know that the violator may not appreciate the effort.

"You just go up an alley and holler 'fish!'" - Gomer Pyle after being stopped for an illegal u-turn in the episode "Citizen's Arrest" of The Andy Griffith Show.
+1 on the cheap lights, if the companies were forced to do so by law.

But, unsolicited or not it is ILLEGAL to physically assault someone.
Old 12-04-08, 03:56 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Severian
And this couple, who probably thought they'd be home before it got dark and got caught outside. They should have been prepared. Instead they got "nagged" as some of us would like to state, and decided to beat up the person who "nagged" them.
Be that as it may...you can't control what others do. You can control your own behavior. So why not stick to that?
Old 12-04-08, 03:58 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
But it must not be cool or good salesmanship to put them on the showroom models. NONE in the photo had them on, even though manufacturers include them (buy law). Maybe he should begin his advocacy and by example, in the show room.
You simply don't know what the heck you are talking about. Go in there and say you need a bike for brevets, in all weather and he'll sell you a bike with a hub generator, fender mounts etc.

If you go in there and say I need a commuter bike on the cheap he'll tell you to go somewhere else. He sells high end bikes.

You don't critcize the Ferrari dealership for not putting a tow receiver on their cars....His primary market is high end racing bikes for use in tris and competition racing. I think the cheapest bike the sell is the Cervelo Duel at like $1800 or so, and they won't sell ANY bike to you without first doing a biometric fitting. They do sell some customized frames for touring (seven/serrotta), etc. but those are all built to suit, so you won't see them on the showroom floor.

Also, most of the "bikes" they have on their showroom floor came only as a frameset from the manufacturer, so I doubt that they included a set with the frame.

Finally, no, he doesn't include pedals on his bikes, you buy your own, but if you give them to the shop, they will install them without additional charge. (or at least they did for me.)
Old 12-04-08, 04:13 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uke
I get really pissed off when reading such blatant lies.

Any decent rider on a decent recumbent can beat *any* upright TT bike with an equivalent rider. This isn't even a slight lie; it's just an outright pile of rubbish. The fastest riders in fully faired recumbents can hit 80 mph without drafting in short stretches; the fastest riders on upright bicycles can barely make it past 40.
Actually, the speed record for a bicycle is 81 mph:

https://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty...ikerecord_0330

It was on a unique bike, with a trained rider and a closed course. So it's not like a fit dude on a nice 'bent will come anywhere close to 80 mph.

I do take exception with the term "fastest bike" though. There's no such thing as a fast bike, only a fast bike + rider. Put me on that TT bike and I'm sure I'll eke out a mph or two more than my normal speed, but still be blown away by many capable riders.
Old 12-04-08, 04:13 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
You simply don't know what the heck you are talking about. Go in there and say you need a bike for brevets, in all weather and he'll sell you a bike with a hub generator, fender mounts etc.
At $3,000

DogBoy, lighten up (pun sort of intended), my original point is that the shop owner, that some BF members are blindly defending in this thread, is the type of guy they attack and ridicule in other threads for only selling high end custom bikes.

Both sides of the confrontation took it too far. That is clear, even from just hearing the biased one side.

Last edited by CB HI; 12-04-08 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 04:15 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by apricissimus
Actually, the speed record for a bicycle is 81 mph:

https://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty...ikerecord_0330

It was on a unique bike, with a trained rider and a closed course. So it's not like a fit dude on a nice 'bent will come anywhere close to 80 mph.
I know; I was specifically thinking of that rider and that record. You'll also notice I made a distinction between "any decent rider on a decent recumbent" and "the fastest riders in fully faired recumbents".
Old 12-04-08, 04:15 PM
JRA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree, as I said in post #96:

"I don't care what the victim said, it doesn't justify following him home and assaulting him."
Old 12-04-08, 04:25 PM
Severian
META

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by uke
Be that as it may...you can't control what others do. You can control your own behavior. So why not stick to that?
There's a vast difference between getting your butt kicked for threatening someone's kid and telling someone to get a light. Your suggestion is insulting in the extreme. This doesn't mean I'm going to come beat you up.
Old 12-04-08, 04:28 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a vast difference between getting your butt kicked for threatening someone's kid and telling someone to get a light. Your suggestion is insulting in the extreme. This doesn't mean I'm going to come beat you up.
You still can't answer the question: why can't you mind your own affairs instead of prescribing your values on others?
Old 12-04-08, 04:36 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe O'Brien actually said, "Get a life."
He was beaten for being arrogant.
Old 12-04-08, 05:14 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by mackerel
I believe O'Brien actually said, "Get a life."
He was beaten for being arrogant.
Does it make it right for the other party to beat him for being arrogant? No.

-Kurt

Old 12-04-08, 05:55 PM
Stoughton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But it must not be cool or good salesmanship to put them on the showroom models. NONE in the photo had them on, even though manufacturers include them (buy law). Maybe he should begin his advocacy and by example, in the show room.

Gosh, if it offends you so, perhaps you should just refuse to shop there. THAT'LL show him you mean business!
Old 12-04-08, 06:03 PM
Stoughton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, you live in Madison - you know full well that the streets are full of riders w/o lights at all times of the night. While it's very possible they did get caught out, it's just as likely they didn't give a damn either
Old 12-04-08, 06:39 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Really? Who wudda thunk it? Gee thanks!
Old 12-04-08, 06:55 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I doubt they have reflectors. The guy nagging at them does not even put reflectors on the bikes HE sells!

https://www.thedailypage.com/daily/ar...?article=24005
OMG, that bike is fugly!

of course no reflectors or lights, that would be so Fred.

I'll also note that once again it's roadies who don't use reflectors and resist some kind of lighting equipment standard for bikes.
Old 12-04-08, 06:58 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, drop the BS condescending tone. Read your law; learn how this sort of legislation works and then you get the right to toss statements around like this. In fact, I'm going to follow my own advice and suggest a resource:

https://www.bicyclelaw.com/html/index.html

That's Bob Mionske's website. Read his book Bicycling and The Law: Your Rights as a Cyclist. Mionske covers subjects such as how bicycle legislation is created, harassment, accident reporting and advocacy.

On the subject of advocacy; in the case of forcing companies to put lights on all bicycles they manufacture. If there was a groundswell of public sentiment for such a legislation then it would probably happen. But, because we live in a car-centric culture people think "Oh, its night out.. I'll drive." rather than get on their bicycle. So we're left with people who don't want lights, and people who do.

congrats, now you're being a patronizing ass, with a healthy dose of good ol' A&S speculation thrown into the last paragraph for good measure.

Old 12-04-08, 07:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
of course no reflectors or lights, that would be so Fred.
Is a $9,000 tri machine with Zipp tubulars even intended for nighttime road use? No. Why should it be equipped as such?

I'll also note that once again it's roadies who don't use reflectors and resist some kind of lighting equipment standard for bikes.
You mean tri-geeks - runners and swimmers who get on bicycles only because the sport requires it.

-Kurt

Old 12-04-08, 07:40 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never run a triathlon, I don't wear lycra, and I removed the reflectors off my bikes. Lots of folks just aren't interested in them.
Old 12-04-08, 08:09 PM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unasked for advice often elicits a negative reaction, although these guys clearly went way over the top.

I'll offer as much advice to people as they want, if they ask me, but otherwise, I find it wiser to mind my own frakking business.
Old 12-04-08, 09:21 PM
Severian
META

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
In the end BSNYC puts it all in perspective...

This puts a whole new spin on the incident, and while I don't believe in telling strangers what to do, in this case O'Brien's advice to "Get a light" was probably warranted. First of all, as a respected figure in cycling who was even quoted in the New York Times just two weeks ago, I'd argue that O'Brien is entitled to give other riders pointers on the fly. After all, people pay him hundreds of dollars for bike fits, so the Fred on the Trek should have been grateful for the free advice. That's like bumping into a dentist on the subway who takes a quick look at your molar and saves you the time and money of making an appointment. Secondly, in these trying economic times, you really can't blame a shop owner for trying to drum up business. O'Brien's utterance of "Get a light" may not have been an admonition at all. Rather, he might be having a big sale at his shop, and he simply identified the one item the riders didn't have and as such might be most interested in buying. Had Fred and Wilma simply listened instead of flying into a rage, they might have heard the rest of the sentence: "Get a light--50% off this week only at Chronometro!"

God, I wish this whole website were content moderated as well as conduct moderated.
Old 12-04-08, 09:44 PM
City_Smasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Get a light", "Get a helmet", "Get Bent", it really doesn't matter what was said. The first amendment gives you the right to say what's on your mind.

Assulting someone for exercising their 1st amendment right......is wrong!
Old 12-04-08, 09:50 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
In the end BSNYC puts it all in perspective...

God, I wish this whole website were content moderated as well as conduct moderated.
So you'd like to delete posts and ban posters you disagree with. Gotcha.
Old 12-04-08, 10:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
This thread has really gone off the rails. Nicely done everybody.
Old 12-05-08, 07:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
This thread has really gone off the rails. Nicely done everybody.
Hardly. It was very effective in outing the flaming hypocrisy of at least poster, who praises the practice of obnoxious yelling "advice" at strangers, while wishing for censorship of anyone who disagrees with his views on such "outreach" advocacy/safety efforts.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-05-08 at 07:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.