Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicyclist beaten by Other Bicylist Over a Light

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicyclist beaten by Other Bicylist Over a Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 02:02 PM
dogbitteneear

Bikes: TE CLONE AND TE CLONE WITH JACKSHAFT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
consider them as grease spots

If they are not willing to take care of themselves, just take of yourself. They'll end up being
"ugly hood ornaments"!
Bob
Old 12-05-08, 02:04 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Severian
You are all so sure in your self-righteousness...
enjoy your little echo chamber you small, small human.
pro⋅jec⋅tion [pruh-jek-shuhn]
11. Psychology.
a. the tendency to ascribe to another person feelings, thoughts, or attitudes present in oneself, or to regard external reality as embodying such feelings, thoughts, etc., in some way.
Old 12-05-08, 02:26 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
ITS NOT ENOUGH TO JUST BE AN EXAMPLE, SHUT MY MOUTH AND IGNORE WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING!
I've scanned some of your posts in this thread and where I think you are missing the point is that there is a time and a place for advocacy. Many of us who have been actively involved in cycling organizations for years, worked in bike shops and been around cycling a long time choose the appropriate forum in which to express our opinions. If you work in a shop that's a perfectly legitimate place to offer advice about lights, or at an advocacy meeting, or a letter to the editor, or even these forums.

I, for one, have learned that admonishing people to "get a light", "get a helmet", "fix your bike", "get on the other side of the street", "get off the sidewalk" is not advocacy. It's public lecturing at best and intolerably arrogant at worst. And, in the long run, it doesn't work.

Those kinds of chastisements only make the chastiser feel self-righteous and the person being chastised more indignant. If you don't believe me simply take a breath and take a look at the kinds of responses you have elicited from posters in this thread. You've succeeded only in getting people to dig their heels in and you have resorted to the internet equivalent of shouting.

I'm sure most of us have lost friends and/or family to cancer or heart disease but I don't admonish the people I know for smoking, eating too much, not exercising and I most certainly wouldn't presume to do such a thing to a stranger on the street- which is the equivalent of admonishing or even giving unsolicited, no matter how "well intentioned", advice to a passing cyclist.
Old 12-05-08, 02:36 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People who "shout" on the internet usually cannot be reasoned with.
Old 12-05-08, 02:48 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not once have you addressed my real questions about how you would advocate safe bicycling practices INSTEAD OF YELLING AT PEOPLE ON THE ROAD.
It was suggested that you/we advocate for a real bicycle lighting standard, rather than the current 'stupid reflector plus whatever aftermarket light the bike owner does/doesn't buy' standard, as enforced by the safety nannies on the street, and you just blew that suggestion off without a second thought.

Therefore, screw you and your holier than thou attitude.

Old 12-05-08, 02:51 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's another option: Get Lit
Old 12-05-08, 02:54 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NO NO NO NO, c'mon people! This "it's all about me, and not anyone else" attitude doesn't cut it! THIS is one reason why we have problems, as cyclists. One, the cycling industry never made itself irreplaceable like the automobile industry did. And two, BECAUSE it was irreplaceable, and had a HUGE amount of money, auto companies were able to pull a massive amount of concessions from the gov't. And it was automobile associations who were the "Advocates" for automobile owners who may have had the same attitude that you've got.

If you don't like someone advocating for you then get off your butt and do your own speaking out. If they're advocating for stuff you want anyway do you just sit back and reap the benefits? That's beyond lame, that's pathetic and lazy.

In short: If you're not going to help me and you don't have a better idea, get out of my way. If you think you've got a better idea either convince me its better (and I mean better than "doesn't rock the boat"), or be your own advocate for your idea.
Advocate my way or not at all! What a bunch of hot air!

Old 12-05-08, 03:25 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Go live in Wyoming or Montana if you want to behave like a human separate from humanity.
So you now wish to insult my grandfather who homesteaded in Wyoming, not to mention everyone who has ever lived in Wyoming or Montana. What a piece of work you are.
Old 12-05-08, 03:28 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

and some folks like you saying that if you butt into another person's business you deserve to get kicked in the ribs!
I missed that direct statement in this thread. Please provide the quote and post #.
Old 12-05-08, 03:31 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

I'll throw an example out. You're biking along, minding your own business with lights and brakes. Ted Shred bikes along w/o lights, on a brakeless freewheel and causes a multi-car pileup. Joe Politician listens to the public out cry and decides that all cyclists have to wear Blaze Orange jumpsuits, and have to be limited to 12 mph AT ALL TIMES. This means YOU. Now do you care? Because, even in this absurdist example, a law just got passed that limits your freedoms.
So, how about actually providing a real example that has occurred and been upheld in the US.
Old 12-05-08, 03:37 PM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grant Petersen comes to A&S
Old 12-05-08, 04:44 PM
Severian
META

Bikes: Gary Fisher Aquila (retired), Specialized Allez Sport (in parts), Cannondale R500, HP Velotechnic Street Machine, Dented Blue Fixed Gear (retired), Seven Tsunami SSFG, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Hardtail (alloy version)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Ok I get it... I'm done here. I apologize for any hurt feelings that my direct statements have caused.

BUT, I still think that there is something more that has to be done. Though the standard we have is good (see the law in the UVC about lights on bicycles), it can be better. That advocacy can and should still happen. That enforcement by the cops won't change the behavior all the masses of cyclists who either don't know the law or have made a conscious decision to break the law. Maybe shouting at fellow cyclists who pass isn't the right answer for getting the word out but its a damn sight better than doing nothing, or hoping that your example will do anything.
Old 12-05-08, 04:51 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
... won't change the behavior all the masses of cyclists who either don't know the law or have made a conscious decision to break the law.
Maybe i've missed it, but I'm still wondering why the hell you think this is any of your business? Is it causing you any harm? I really doubt anyone out there is wanting you to take care of them.

Last edited by pacificaslim; 12-05-08 at 05:26 PM. Reason: to add forgot bracket on quote tag
Old 12-05-08, 05:09 PM
Bruce Rosar

Bikes: Road, Mtn, Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe shouting at fellow cyclists who pass isn't the right answer for getting the word out but its a damn sight better than doing nothing, or hoping that your example will do anything.
Positive approaches (i.e., "carrots") are usually more effective in the long run than "sticks" (such as shouting or enforcement). Carrot options include education (so more folks believe that bike lights are a great idea) and advocating for programs that help folks who are less financially well off to obtain lights for their bike.
Old 12-05-08, 05:22 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I apologize for any hurt feelings that my direct statements have caused.
That's an apology?!
How about apologizing for your childish behavior?
Old 12-05-08, 06:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Ok I get it... I'm done here. I apologize for any hurt feelings that my direct statements have caused.
Don't feel bad, I seriously doubt that anyone took seriously your foolish ranting about the need/benefits of on the spot shout outs, especially after you decided to ELECTRONICALLY START SHOUTING INSTRUCTIONS TO BF POSTERS. But don't fool yourself, it is obvious, YOU don't get "it" and probably never will.
Old 12-05-08, 06:35 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
So, how about actually providing a real example that has occurred and been upheld in the US.
Gun control laws.
Old 12-05-08, 06:41 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Gun control laws.
True - you cannot shoot a gun while riding a bicycle without getting into some serious trouble.
Old 12-05-08, 09:20 PM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thought is that leading by example is good. But, its not always enough. I also try to lead by example, but I get the sense that not all cyclists are paying attention.
You need to find ways to increase your conspicuity.

They are, rightly, too busy with paying attention to pedaling to pay attention to me, or you. How do we reach THOSE cyclists? Too often they're passing going the other way, and I (as a commuter) don't have time to turn my bike around, chase them down and go on a long-winded discussion on how its the law that they put lights on their bicycle between the hours of dusk and dawn. What do I do in that case, when I don't feel that just riding by is enough?
Pray for them?

Whining about them on BF is another time honoured tradition.

There's more to bike advocacy than merely admonishing strangers in the street.
Old 12-05-08, 09:23 PM
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BUT, I still think ...
I thought you said you were done here.
Old 12-05-08, 09:25 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allister
There's more to bike advocacy than merely admonishing strangers in the street.
...or over the intertubes.
Old 12-05-08, 09:46 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I'd probably go hoarse if I shouted at every bicyclist I see riding with out lights at night, and tonight I felt like the minority, being that every bicyclist I saw was riding without any form of light whatsoever. I'll put my vocal energy to better use at the bicycling forum that our local area is going to have in a few days.

Old 12-06-08, 09:42 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I just realized that I have yelled at other cyclists who were riding unsafely. In this case I've yelled at a few cyclist who were wrong way riding and coming right at me. Opinions from BF members on whether yelling at these people was a good idea are welcome.
Old 12-06-08, 10:21 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
"Cast not pearls before swine"

Paul
Old 12-06-08, 10:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
I just realized that I have yelled at other cyclists who were riding unsafely. In this case I've yelled at a few cyclist who were wrong way riding and coming right at me. Opinions from BF members on whether yelling at these people was a good idea are welcome.
You just realized this?

You do recognize don't you, that there is a difference between yelling/screaming a warning in order to prevent a collision, and the "educational outreaching" proposed by at least one BF poster or the snarky obnoxious call-out of the LBS owner to strangers that were no threat to him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.