Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

CycleBlaze Trip Journal Site

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-19-18, 05:25 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts

I've been enjoying reading trip journals on CycleBlaze, and putting my own up - just figured I'd give them a shout-out here. It has grown impressively in the first year, very easy to use and over 300 journals to date.
Old 09-19-18, 05:55 AM
mattbur

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 800 MTB for winter use

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I've been enjoying reading trip journals on CycleBlaze, and putting my own up - just figured I'd give them a shout-out here. It has grown impressively in the first year, very easy to use and over 300 journals to date.

Is that the site that Jeff Arnim started?? Isn't that the same guy that launched a smear campaign against Neil Gunton from Crazy Guy on a Bike?? Is that the same Jeff Arnim that pilfered (stole) journals from CGOAB website to repost on his own website?

NAW...I don't even visit the site.

TonyB
Old 09-19-18, 06:06 AM
jpescatore

I think the site is run by Jeff Arnim, don't know the history. I haven't seen any journals that were stolen from CGOAB, but he does provide support if you want to copy a journal from CGOAB or other sites - he has helped me do just that with the one I had posted on CGOAB but decided later I wanted an alternative and CycleBlaze was suggested on this forum.

I also moved an old 1997 journal of a multi-day C&O Canal Towpath ride my wife and I did - now trying to find the old files from other tours friends and I did that were put out on various ISP websites that no longer exist.
Old 09-19-18, 06:26 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
There was someone on here who had created a site and continuously tried to promote it in the forums here as if they were just a user. When the topic would come up, they'd chime in with, "Here's a great new journal site that I've been using with tons of awesome features! I really like it." Then at some point it came on that he was the owner of the site but he kept putting up the recommendations as if he were just a user, and acting as if nothing were wrong when he got called out on it. Was that this site?
Old 09-19-18, 06:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
There was someone on here who had created a site and continuously tried to promote it in the forums here as if they were just a user. When the topic would come up, they'd chime in with, "Here's a great new journal site that I've been using with tons of awesome features! I really like it."...Was that this site?
I think that is the site.
Old 09-19-18, 07:19 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Don't prefer

Glad you like CB. However, I personally prefer CGOAB much more than CycleBlaze. To me, CB needs much better search functions, I hate the "Pinterest" look/feel and it is slow to me. While competition is good, I will definitely stick with CGOAB to read and search 13,000 journals.(CB has 2% of the journals that CGOAB has).

Best, John
Old 09-24-18, 02:44 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I would guess that at one point CGOAB only had one journal to start with, and then 2 and so on. Point is, unless you are the first to do your "thing", every start up business has a starting point, and its irrelevant how may billions and billions are served, there always seems to be an appetite for another hamburger joint......errr Trip Journal Website. Just gotta have better toppings, condiments, functions, etc!
Old 09-24-18, 07:32 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
Jeff Arnim has done a great job.
CycleBlaze offers some things that CGOAB does not.
CGOAB offers some things that CycleBlaze does not.
Old 09-25-18, 05:35 AM
OneGearIsEnough

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mattbur
Is that the site that Jeff Arnim started?? Isn't that the same guy that launched a smear campaign against Neil Gunton from Crazy Guy on a Bike?? Is that the same Jeff Arnim that pilfered (stole) journals from CGOAB website to repost on his own website?

TonyB
All the journals on CycleBlaze that were previously hosted on other sites (notably CGoaB) were moved to CycleBlaze at each author's request. I suggest you get your facts straight before slandering someone for "pilfering".
Old 09-26-18, 09:25 AM
mattbur

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 800 MTB for winter use

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneGearIsEnough
All the journals on CycleBlaze that were previously hosted on other sites (notably CGoaB) were moved to CycleBlaze at each author's request. I suggest you get your facts straight before slandering someone for "pilfering".
Hi Jeff,

WOW, I don't feel I slandered you at all. You'll have to reread my posting to the OP. I was asking if he was referring to the site owner and that particular website. Apparently he was and that's where it was dropped. Why you were hurt I haven't a clue.

I'm certain your website is fantastic. Congrats. But I'm still not obligated to go to it if I choose not to.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. In fact, if I ever see you out on the trail maybe we can go have a beer. I'll even buy.

Take care, Tony
Old 09-26-18, 09:39 AM
OneGearIsEnough

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Jeff,

WOW, I don't feel I slandered you at all. You'll have to reread my posting to the OP. I was asking if he was referring to the site owner and that particular website. Apparently he was and that's where it was dropped. Why you were hurt I haven't a clue.

I'm certain your website is fantastic. Congrats. But I'm still not obligated to go to it if I choose not to.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. In fact, if I ever see you out on the trail maybe we can go have a beer. I'll even buy.

Take care, Tony
I am not Jeff Arnim, but I'm aware of how the journals were moved from CGoaB to CycleBlaze. You wrote that Arnim "pilfered (stole) journals from CGOAB website to repost on his own website". I was objecting to your use of the terms "pilfered" and "stole".
Old 09-26-18, 12:25 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Is its growth all that 'impressive'? It seems to have got an initial surge from a canvassing campaign conducted by the owner among established journalists on CGOAB. My impression is that the number of journals have doubled in about the last six months. Any growth from a low base can seem impressive and I'd hazard a guess that numerically the number of new journals over the same period has been considerably greater than 300 at CGOAB, at least three of them have been mine.

CGOAB is still in a class of its own and I'm quite happy to keep my journals & articles there.
Old 05-02-20, 04:21 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
Is its growth all that 'impressive'? It seems to have got an initial surge from a canvassing campaign conducted by the owner among established journalists on CGOAB. My impression is that the number of journals have doubled in about the last six months. Any growth from a low base can seem impressive and I'd hazard a guess that numerically the number of new journals over the same period has been considerably greater than 300 at CGOAB, at least three of them have been mine.

CGOAB is still in a class of its own and I'm quite happy to keep my journals & articles there.
There is plenty of room for another journal and forum site and I wish cycle blaze well. At a glance it looks pretty good and I may write my next trip up there. I might even consider duplicating my existing cgoab journals there, but doubt that I'd move them off of cgoab or stop using cgoab any time soon.

As far as cgoab goes, it is a well established institution and I'd like to see Neil continue to succeed. I write up my trips there and donate a few bucks there now and then. I used to post an article now and then but haven't for a while. I haven't read much there for quite a while but may if I want to research a route. There is a huge body of info to do that. I do read my own journals to check dates and details of trips. I don't post on (or usually even read) the forums there because I don't find that I can speak my mind without running afoul of Neil. The large majority of complaints I have heard about cgoab could be avoided by just not using the forums if you don't like the climate there.
Old 05-02-20, 06:13 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
There is plenty of room for another journal and forum site and I wish cycle blaze well. At a glance it looks pretty good and I may write my next trip up there. I might even consider duplicating my existing cgoab journals there, but doubt that I'd move them off of cgoab or stop using cgoab any time soon.
I agree there's room for competition and that Cycleblaze looks good. I've no plans to move anything there but I also agree the CGOAB forum is the main source of trouble. I have been active on it but now have decided to pull back.

EDIT: BTW that post of mine you quoted is from 2018, you probably know this already but just like to point it out to anyone else who is reading it.
Old 05-02-20, 06:48 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Caretaker
I agree there's room for competition and that Cycleblaze looks good. I've no plans to move anything there but I also agree the CGOAB forum is the main source of trouble. I have been active on it but now have decided to pull back.

EDIT: BTW that post of mine you quoted is from 2018, you probably know this already but just like to point it out to anyone else who is reading it.
OOPS, I am not usually one to resurrect old threads. I was looking at it because of a current one and mistakenly replied to the old thread.
Old 05-02-20, 04:30 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
smear campign?

Is that the site that Jeff Arnim started?? Isn't that the same guy that launched a smear campaign against Neil Gunton fe??rom Crazy Guy on a Bike Is that the same Jeff Arnim that pilfered (stole) journals from CGOAB website to repost on his own website?

TonyB
I have been looking at CGOAB for over 10 years, now, where/ when was this smear campaign???
what sort of thing(s) did this Armin say?
I did hear about some sort of uproar that Gunton was a big Trump supporter, but after looking, I never found anything. Maybe it was deleted?

"Isn't that the same guy that launched a smear campaign against Neil Gunton from Crazy Guy on a Bike."
I
Old 05-03-20, 09:36 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I don't post on (or usually even read) the forums there because I don't find that I can speak my mind without running afoul of Neil. The large majority of complaints I have heard about cgoab could be avoided by just not using the forums if you don't like the climate there.
Pete,

I too felt that way and left posting for about 5 years on CGOAB. I mentioned that about maybe a year ago over on the ACA Forums. Neil reached out to me privately and said he has changed and mellowed a bit (paraphrase) and said if I wanted to post, I was welcome to. I thanked him and eventually started to again. Neil is a very passionate guy who does not hide his thoughts (for better or for worse). I think the reason a lot of people don't prefer Neil is that he speaks what HE believes is true and why he believes it even if it doesn't pertain to bike touring. In this PC run amok time, people are afraid of people who are different from them and then fight back with name calling and then a massive pissing contest starts. While I definitely do not agree with him or at times his writing style on some things, I would still go on a ride with him (or about anyone).

BTW, Neil has changed in several ways. Some better, some worse. Just like all of us. I know I am not the same person entirely as I was 10 years ago. However, Neil is still a very passionate person, still very hands on with his site, still rants occasionally, and the site is still entirely free (unlike here) and in my opinion, still the best bike touring journal site out there.

Anyway, come start posting again on CGOAB. Your experience would be appreciated.

Tailwinds, John
Old 05-03-20, 11:15 AM
JeffL

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
One reason to at least try using another touring journal site is what I believe is the increasing likelihood that CGoaB will go away at some point. Because based on these recent posts, it wouldn't surprise me at all if, in the not-so-distant future, the site's owner himself is no longer around:

Bicycle Touring: Forum: Website: "2020 Fundraiser", posted by Neil Gunton (neil) (admin) on Sat 28 Mar 2020 11:45 (US/Pacific)
Bicycle Touring: Forum: Website: "2020 Fundraiser", posted by Neil Gunton (neil) (admin) on Sat 28 Mar 2020 11:45 (US/Pacific)
Old 05-05-20, 04:44 AM
jpescatore

Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
.... In this PC run amok time, people are afraid of people who are different from them and then fight back with name calling and then a massive pissing contest starts. While I definitely do not agree with him or at times his writing style on some things, I would still go on a ride with him (or about anyone).

Tailwinds, John
Neil being afraid of people who are different from him, and Neil resorting to name calling and Neil starting a massive pissing contest is exactly why I left COGoaB!
Old 05-05-20, 07:03 AM
John N

John,

I can't speak if Neil is "afraid of people who are different from him" but personally do not think he is. He does defend vigorously his position and I will agree he is not the most gentle debater around. However, I also believe he does not start the name calling. My point you are referencing above is that the "others" are more in a big general universal sense like on the comments posts on news forums say on CNN or FOX or MSNBC but not Neil specifically. For instance, on CGoaB, I have seen people get pissed because he supports a particular Trump position and some others who hate Trump basically call Neil (and everyone else who likes Trump by default) an idiot. Neil responds vigorously pointing out WHY he has his position and then the person calling Neil an idiot replies in a huff (without pointing out WHY he hates Trump) and the pissing contest starts. Yes, Neil could try to tone down some but it also takes both sides to be kind and considerate. But then everyone can be gentler, including me and you. For instance, look at the way anger comes across in your last post. Just by not using a !, it would change the tone entirely and not be negative, just your opinion.

As a side note, I personally think his strong recommendation that people use their real names is great as people tend to post more kindly when they do.

While I am sad you and others will leave a bike touring site because you do not like the owner, I hope you consider lurking on CGoaB and feel if you can positively contribute something to a forum question to please do so. I personally do not prefer some posters here on BikeForums because to me they are bullies and know-it-alls-and-you-are-an-idiot but I still post here occasionally. I just try to avoid dealing with the ones I prefer to stay away from. Just like CGoaB, a couple posters do not make a website. Neil is a major force on CGoaB, but he is not the only force.

In regards to your OP, I still stand by ny opinion that, for me, CGoaB is better than CycleBlaze as a bike touring websites even after I compare the pros and cons of each site. I respect (but don't agree with) your opinion about CGoaB and as you show the same courtesy.

Tailwinds, John
Old 05-05-20, 07:22 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Neil being afraid of people who are different from him, and Neil resorting to name calling and Neil starting a massive pissing contest is exactly why I left COGoaB!
have used crazyguy for years as a touring route resource.
wasn't even aware there was a forum there until it was mentioned here.

anyhoo, if the bickering and arguing at that forum annoy you,
then in the words of a great doctor to a patient complaining
that it hurt when he did something, said...

"well, don't do that!"
Old 05-05-20, 07:26 AM
jpescatore

Originally Posted by saddlesores
then in the words of a great doctor to a patient complaining
that it hurt when he did something, said...

"well, don't do that!"
Exactly why I stopped doing that!
Old 05-06-20, 04:44 AM
jpescatore

Tulsa John - I have to disagree. The particular rant that caused me to leave COGoaB was initiated by Neil, had nothing to do with Trump - and pretty much expressed mistrust and fear of an entire class of people. When I hear that kind of thing on the radio or on TV, I twist the dial to change channels (skewing a bit old with that "dial" business...).

On the Internet, I move on - I "stop doing that." I was giving money to support COGoab - stopped doing that and moved on. As the OP on this thread, I didn't even mention any of the reasons why I changed to CycleBlaze, but a common thread arose in the comments.

Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
John,

I can't speak if Neil is "afraid of people who are different from him" but personally do not think he is. He does defend vigorously his position and I will agree he is not the most gentle debater around. However, I also believe he does not start the name calling. ....
Tailwinds, John
Old 05-06-20, 07:38 AM
John N

I understand. BTW, my Trump example was just an example, not a specific incident per se. Regardless, I wish you well and also offer a standing invite to come back as Neil is not the only one on the site. Tailwinds, John
Old 05-06-20, 07:49 AM
staehpj1

Tulsa John - I have to disagree. The particular rant that caused me to leave COGoaB was initiated by Neil, had nothing to do with Trump - and pretty much expressed mistrust and fear of an entire class of people. When I hear that kind of thing on the radio or on TV, I twist the dial to change channels (skewing a bit old with that "dial" business...).

On the Internet, I move on - I "stop doing that." I was giving money to support COGoab - stopped doing that and moved on. As the OP on this thread, I didn't even mention any of the reasons why I changed to CycleBlaze, but a common thread arose in the comments.
FWIW I never figured Neil to be a Trump supporter (I tuned out of the forums there long before Trump's presidency). Hearing someone say he is surprised me.

Most of the stuff I objected to on the CGOAB forums seemed from my perspective seemed to be an over reaction to one thing or another on Neil's part. Obviously that could be a matter of perspective and Neil undoubtedly sees it differently. Others may be anywhere on the spectrum in how they see it, but I way too often found myself on the wrong side of heated issues. So my solution was to compartmentalize my reaction and not abandon the whole site and I just left the forums and continue to use the rest of the site. I still use the journals and even send him a few bucks from time to time. That seems to me like a reasonable way to handle it. I use the part I find useful and donate to support his efforts. I don't consider that to be endorsing any of his views that I may disagree with or otherwise compromising any of my principles. I have't given as regularly in recent years, but that is because I have not been touring as frequently, not creating new journals, and generally not thinking about it as much.

I know that others took the approach of leaving entirely and I can respect that, but it wasn't my approach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.