Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What water bottle do you use?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What water bottle do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 09:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
In umpteen years of using twist off caps while bicycle riding, I've never dropped one, and do not claim to be super coordinated. Always a possibility, but really, how big a problem would a dropped cap be? At the very worst, it might require buying another suitably sized plastic bottle of water or soda pop at the next convenience store.

To avoid anxiety over the possibility of a dropped cap, carry an extra cap in your pocket or tool kit.
Or I could just pay $8 and get a water bottle that's lasted a couple years so far.

I love it when people argue with me over something this trivial. All I'm saying is holding the cap is just a little bit of an annoyance, and I don't want to drop it because a) not a big fan of littering; b) water will slosh out of the bottle when it's uncapped in the rack. It is not a matter of anxiety, it's a matter of convenience--one less thing to handle while riding.
Old 06-03-19, 09:51 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
In umpteen years of using twist off caps while bicycle riding, I've never dropped one, and do not claim to be super coordinated....

To avoid anxiety over the possibility of a dropped cap, carry an extra cap in your pocket or tool kit.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Or I could just pay $8 and get a water bottle that's lasted a couple years so far.

I love it when people argue with me over something this trivial. All I'm saying is holding the cap is just a little bit of an annoyance, and I don't want to drop it because a) not a big fan of littering; b) water will slosh out of the bottle when it's uncapped in the rack.

It is not a matter of anxiety, it's a matter of convenience--one less thing to handle while riding.
For myself, and perhaps other screw-top cyclists, cheapness is not a consideration.

I think I-Like-To-Bike carried on this conversation in his style, after the seemingly (?) satirical query by shelbyfv:
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Question for those who use bottles with screw on caps. Are you able to ride no-hands or do you stop each time you want a drink?

PS: Two days agio I posted to the Mention fail? thread on Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Just today (6/1/19) I posted to a thread… For example I type @_Trocadile (typed without the connecting symbol):…..[it did not appear] It also seems that all previous mentions are similarly blanked out.
Hence the boldface names rather than MENTIONS.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-03-19 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 06-03-19, 10:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
For myself, and perhaps other screw-top cyclists, cheapness is not a consideration.

I think I-Like-To-Bike carried on this conversation in his style, after the seemingly (?) satirical query by shelbyfv:

PS: Two days agio I posted to the Mention fail? thread on Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Hence the boldface names rather than MENTIONS.
I've definitely never been a fan of the "this doesn't bug me, so it shouldn't bother you" type post. I-Like-To-Troll thrives on them.

I never said other people shouldn't use screw top bottles, just explained why I don't anymore.
Old 06-03-19, 11:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've definitely never been a fan of the "this doesn't bug me, so it shouldn't bother you" type post. I-Like-To-Troll thrives on them.
But seemingly a fan of the peevish reply and snarky insult over imagined "arguments" with your posts.
Old 06-03-19, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

But seemingly a fan of the peevish reply and snarky insult.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Ironic coming from you.
Old 06-03-19, 11:37 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Camelbak Podium Big Chill. Been using two of them for a couple of years now. No complaints and would definitely buy again.
Old 06-03-19, 10:50 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I use Clean Bottle water bottles The top and bottom unscrew, which makes cleaning easier. We use regular water bottles for local riding , and the Clean Bottles when on tours. water bottles tend to get funky after a couple of weeks filled with electrolyte drinks.

Cold Bottle water bottles

A couple of 22 oz. Clean Bottle bottles on my touring bike.
Old 06-05-19, 02:36 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
polar bottles that I got on sale, but honestly the insulation is pretty bad. they are light though
Old 06-05-19, 03:29 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Camelbak Podium
Old 06-06-19, 04:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Tall insulated polar brand plastic bottles from my lbs once a year or so I like going to my lbs with a pocket of cash to share with them cuz I suspect there’s a big markup on them and it’s a good way to reward them for their friendly service. It’s a small local shop
Old 06-06-19, 07:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Nothing but made in the USA Polar boattles for my made in the USA frame.

Old 06-06-19, 08:32 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Polar bottles for me. Two 20oz. and one 24oz. The 20 ounce bottles are getting ragged from many gravel rides. Need to replace them soon.
Old 06-06-19, 03:05 PM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Bike shops sometimes have their own "branded," dime-a-dozen plastic water bottles. Cheap as dirt (I may never have actually had to pay for one, now that I think about it.) and they meet my needs:

Holds water? Check.

Dispenses water? Check.

Fits in cage? Check
This.

I think most, if not all, do and usually with their logo. My experience: bike #1 , LBS kicked in 2 bottles of the 26 oz. cheap variety with logo (plus I've gone back for 2 others). Bike #2 (different LBS), kicked in 2 21 oz.Camel Back podiums also with logo (is there such a thing as a "cheap" Camal Back?). I prefer the cheapies (does cheap always mean POS?) and they fit the needs above plus hold up to my abuse. Also to consider, it's hot here so there are always 2 in the freezer that I fill approx. 3/4 with water and freeze. Add a splash of water before leaving house and a few miles down the road there's cold water (of course not for the whole ride but it helps). Yes, they might come out of freezer with a bulge here or there but they still fit in the cage and rebound back into shape at the end of the day.

l
Old 06-07-19, 07:19 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Nothing fancy, just regular plastic Polar bottles work for me. Not super light tho.

My millennial daughters lose, or share & never get back their water bottles often so I keep a supply on hand. I think Polar does as good of a job as Camelback for less $...and similar to work stands, Aldi has sold a Crane branded insulation bottle that looks and performs similar to the Polar for about $4.99 if I remember correctly (the green & blue ones on the right). The pink breast cancer Polar bottle was $1.00 more with proceeds going to the Susan Coleman Foundation, I wish I'd bought several of those (from Dick's SG).

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 06-07-19 at 07:24 AM.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 06-07-19, 07:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
Thanks- another reason to check Aldi! It seems cycling bottle design has "matured" to the extent that you mostly need to decide if you want insulated or not, clear or opaque. Most now have the wasp waist and some acceptable valve.
Old 06-07-19, 08:14 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I have really become a fan of the Specialized Purist bottles. The ones with the Hydroflow nozzle option are really great! I think I've used just about every kind of bottle out there and these are my favorite. The Hydroflow nozzle is simple, effective, and easy to clean and superior to Polar and Camelback IMO. The bottles are treated on the inside to resist the funky gunk that tends to grow there. Simply really good bottles!
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 06-07-19, 09:49 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Odd, see post #4--I didn't know polar also sold bottled water--this is the polar bottle to which I was referring: https://polarbottle.com/product-cate...ed-sport-bike/
Well, now I need this one:

Old 06-07-19, 12:54 PM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Simple clear Cannondale bottles that have neon green writing to match my bar tape!
Old 06-07-19, 02:18 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I have a few swag bottles but the ones I use the most are the Polar bottles I bought. I also have a Camelbak but don't use it very often -- I rarely want to carry 3 liters of water.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 06-07-19, 04:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Looks like a good idea..

Old 06-07-19, 04:12 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

Under $2, super light weight, it even comes with a hygienic hinged flip open cover for the spout. If you're super thirsty you can unscrew the top and gulp away.

Last edited by audiomagnate; 06-07-19 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 08:16 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Thanks- another reason to check Aldi! It seems cycling bottle design has "matured" to the extent that you mostly need to decide if you want insulated or not, clear or opaque. Most now have the wasp waist and some acceptable valve.
Couple months ago I rode to local Lidl (German chain similar to Aldi) & saw clipless cycling shoes for $35.
Old 06-09-19, 06:54 PM
glenncz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
zefal

Zefal 164, 33oz., go for this one, good for >30 miles, simple, cheap, clear. $7.80 delivered
Old 06-09-19, 07:53 PM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
The Camelbak Podiums seem to use Advanced Nipple Technology™ which is good if you're in a race and can only use one hand without looking, but if you stop and use two hands anything will work.
Old 06-09-19, 08:09 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Except for charity events, all my rides are under 35 miles so I don’t bother bringing a water bottle.
I was fortunate enough to grow up in a time before people felt they had to ‘hydrate’ themselves every 7 minutes.
Pretty sure all the water I ever drank outside as a kid came from a garden hose.
Probably explains a lot about me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.