Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How old is this Hercules

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How old is this Hercules

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 06:32 AM
Traquair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How old is this Hercules

A guy on my local CL is selling this Hercules for $150. Way too much if you ask me. Anyway, I would like to know around when it was made. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hercules01.jpg (11.9 KB, 538 views)
hercules02.jpg (13.1 KB, 485 views)
hercules03.jpg (9.2 KB, 428 views)
Old 10-27-07, 06:50 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I can't tell from the pics if it's a pre-Raleigh(1960) or not but $150 seems awfully high.

Don't worry; the experts should be here shortly.

In the meantime, check out the rear hub. There should be a date stamped on it. I believe the older ones had it right below the name or maybe to the left. I don't see the Sturmey-Archer gear shifter on the handlebars. Is there a little chain attached to the right side of the rear hub, possibly a cable attached to that and running along the frame?

Can you read Nottingham anywhere on the frame or below the Hercules on the headbadge or seattube? If so, then it's a Raleigh and definitely not worth $150.

The bike is also missing the chainguard.

Hercules
A division of B.C.C. until merged with Raleigh as part of the TI takeover in 1960, Hercules was a major competitor of Raleigh, with a strong sporting image. They sponsored popular racers, most partiuclarly Ken Joy and Eileen Sheridan. Hercules made their own 3-speed hubs, which were pretty-much identical to the older Sturmey-Archer AW. Hercules hubs continued to use threaded drivers long after Stumrmey-Archer abandoned them.
Raleigh-built "AMF-Hercules" models are fairly common. They were distributed by AMF (American Machine & Foundry.)

Somebody restored their Hercules

https://www.madeinbirmingham.org/hercules.htm
Old 10-27-07, 07:34 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
The bike is also missing the chainguard.
Maybe not ...

https://home.mchsi.com/~bhufford4/40herc09b.jpg

Bob
Old 10-27-07, 11:22 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Originally Posted by BobHufford

See, I knew the experts would show up. So, it could be that model "F" on the far right of the brochure?

OP, is the chainring cutout with the name Hercules?

Bob, what's the date of the brochure? Is the bike worth $150? If two trains are heading to Toledo, with one train going 25mph and the other.......
Old 10-27-07, 11:25 AM
bikerosity57

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
$10 tops as is. The guy's a nut bag. The bike is junk, and there are many missing parts.
Old 10-27-07, 01:11 PM
Traquair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. It's tough finding info about Hercules bicycles on the web. The Science and Society Picture Library (https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/) has some photos of employees at the Hercules factory in the 1930s. My biggest problem with this bicycle is the head badge. If I knew what they looked like over the years, I might be able to date the bike.

Here's a bit more info. The seller (apparently a retired bike shop owner) says it dates from around WWII and has a Sturmey Archer hub. Wasn't Hercules using their own Hercumatic hubs and shifters at that time? I haven't asked about the chainring or the date on the hub yet, but I will (I always forget to ask the obvious questions).

The seller lives over an hour away, so I haven't seen it in person. Also, I don't really want to make the trip unless I'm pretty sure I want to buy it. I haven't tried to haggle over the price yet, but he's listed it at least twice before so he might sell it on the cheap.

Bob - What is the URL to your homepage? Do you have any other vintage catalogs or brochures?
Old 10-27-07, 01:21 PM
mastershake916

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Older than the ones that I have seen, but in much worse condition.
I'd try to really talk them down if you're interested, $75 tops.
Old 10-27-07, 02:58 PM
bbattle

Hercumatic was just rebadged Sturmey-Archer.

Since it has a hub, ask for the serial numbers on the hub. That'll give you the date of the hub. But as I said earlier, I didn't see a shift cable or shifter.

I bought a Raleigh Ltd.-3, a very similar bike, for $10 plus $50 in shipping, off eBay. Looked a whole lot better than that Hercules. I'd pass on this bike.
Old 10-27-07, 05:56 PM
Mooo

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hercumatic was just rebadged Sturmey-Archer.

Since it has a hub, ask for the serial numbers on the hub. That'll give you the date of the hub. But as I said earlier, I didn't see a shift cable or shifter.

I bought a Raleigh Ltd.-3, a very similar bike, for $10 plus $50 in shipping, off eBay. Looked a whole lot better than that Hercules. I'd pass on this bike.
I remember one Hercules hub that said something like "Hercules type B-4" or "B-6" or some such thing with essentially no other markings on it. I'm pretty sure I'd have remembered a serial number.
Old 10-27-07, 06:13 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That looks like a single speed, or perhaps a 3-speed with a missing shifter cable/shifter.

I've never seen a Hercules head badge like that however...definitely older than 1965, and I can not make out the "HERCULES" in the chain ring.
Old 10-27-07, 07:25 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bob, what's the date of the brochure? Is the bike worth $150?
I think it's late '30s or early '40s. It came with a stack of others that were dated '38 to '41. I don't feel that bike is worth that much due to the shape it's in. Offer half ...

Originally Posted by Traquair
The seller (apparently a retired bike shop owner) says it dates from around WWII and has a Sturmey Archer hub. Wasn't Hercules using their own Hercumatic hubs and shifters at that time? I haven't asked about the chainring or the date on the hub yet, but I will (I always forget to ask the obvious questions).
Bob - What is the URL to your homepage? Do you have any other vintage catalogs or brochures?
I was recently inquiring about a similar vintage Hercules and the S/A hub didn't have a date code, but did have British and Swiss patent numbers that put it around 1942 or so.

I don't have a web site. These brochures are here:

https://www.geocities.com/lightweight...9/39rdlw1.html
https://www.geocities.com/lightweight...9/39rdss1.html
https://www.geocities.com/lightweight...0/40rdlw1.html
https://www.geocities.com/lightweight...9/39lwlw1.html
https://www.geocities.com/sldbconsumer/1939/39ps1.html
https://www.geocities.com/sldbconsumer/1941/41nw1.html

My Schwinn site is here:

https://www.geocities.com/sldatabook/publications.html

My Swing Bike site is here:

https://www.geocities.com/bobhufford/swing.html

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Old 10-27-07, 10:16 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bob! a man of many talents! I never knew you had a closet interest in Hercules...I gave the only one that I had away a few years ago...a 50's vintage. Do these things have a collector value?
Old 10-28-07, 07:26 AM
Traquair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, thanks for all the info. The seller emailed me back. He said he can't find a date stamped on the hub and that the chainring does not say Hercules. I had also asked him about the size and he said it measured 21 inches from the center of the BB spindle to the top of the seat tube. I haven't ridden many of these old three speeds, so I don't really know if that would fit me at 6'2" (it wouldn't if it were a typical road bike). Any opinions? If it won't fit I'll likely pass it up.

Bob - It didn't connect that you run the Schwinn Lightweight Databook. That is a fantastic site. Just FYI, Geocities says a bunch of the pages in the Rudge (and others) catalog pages are down due to inactivity. Also, is there a main index page or contents page for the non-Schwinn info? I would love to be able to look at all the old catalogs you've scanned regardless of maker.
Old 10-28-07, 08:58 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
Bob! a man of many talents! I never knew you had a closet interest in Hercules. Do these things have a collector value?
I'm sure they have some value to some collector.

I didn't know I had an interest, really, until I received these catalogs along with some other Schwinn materials (factory service manuals, bulletins, etc.) from a long-time Schwinn dealer that was on his way to the dumpster with them when he remembered my SLDB site and thought I might have a use for them.

It also included these:

1937 BSA Motorcycle catalog:
https://www.geocities.com/motorcyclec...7/37bsa01.html
1939 Indian Motorcycle catalog:
https://www.geocities.com/motorcyclec...39/39in01.html
1940 Ariel Motorcycle catalog and flyer:
https://www.geocities.com/bhufford3/index.html
and a 1939 Triumph motorcycle catalog that I haven't scanned yet.

Bob - It didn't connect that you run the Schwinn Lightweight Databook. That is a fantastic site. Just FYI, Geocities says a bunch of the pages in the Rudge (and others) catalog pages are down due to inactivity. Also, is there a main index page or contents page for the non-Schwinn info? I would love to be able to look at all the old catalogs you've scanned regardless of maker.
Thanks for the heads up on the inactive pages. They should work now. I don't have a main page with links to these scans. I'll add them (bicycles) to the Links page on the SLDB. These just came about as I scanned them in prior to selling them ... (wanted to share them before they dissapeared into some dark drawer somewhere again).

Bob
Old 10-28-07, 12:58 PM
bobn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had a Hercules as a kid in the early '50s. It had a Hercumatic gear shift and I believe was made in Birmingham. The Hercumatic was probably made by Sturmey Archer. Looked exactly the same and sounded the same.
Old 10-28-07, 05:01 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Again, thanks for all the info. The seller emailed me back. He said he can't find a date stamped on the hub and that the chainring does not say Hercules. I had also asked him about the size and he said it measured 21 inches from the center of the BB spindle to the top of the seat tube. I haven't ridden many of these old three speeds, so I don't really know if that would fit me at 6'2" (it wouldn't if it were a typical road bike). Any opinions? If it won't fit I'll likely pass it up.

That frame is going to be a tad on the small side for you. I am 6'-2" I ride a 21" Raleigh Sports as my beater, but it has a looooong seat post on it.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-30-07, 04:54 AM
bbattle

Old 10-30-07, 05:38 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
More (possibly useless) info ...

https://johnsvintagebikes.com/Hercules_parts/index.html

Bob
Old 10-30-07, 08:02 AM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The one in the advert looks a lot like mine.

Old 10-07-09, 07:26 PM
queen tonks
Queen Tonks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ redneckwes

what is the date on your herc?
Old 10-07-09, 07:37 PM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BobHufford
Mr. Hufford, thank you for posting this! I didn't know you had a Hercules catalog! What year is it? OK, I read the rest of the thread and have the answers.)

I can't tell the year of the OP's Hercules in question, but may I post photos of the ones I have/had? It may help.

1960 Hercules

1964 AMF Hercules

1968 AMF Hercules

Last edited by DavidW56; 10-07-09 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 08:06 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I think pre-Raleigh Hercs have either the cutout Hercules or the "H" around the chain ring. The rebadged pre-raleigh Hercs and Raleigh Hercs were the spoke chain ring.
$150 is too much for that one, for sure, but around $75 if I could pick it up would be ok.

Here's a great Herc site: https://herculesmuseum.wordpress.com/

These are great to turn into a Fixie!

Last edited by David Newton; 10-07-09 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 08:34 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here's my Hercules India, this bike is so great to ride for an old fat guy, look at that geometry!
Old 10-08-09, 05:47 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Update on this old thread.... the bike in question is still on Central NJ Craigslist (see below). I'd be tempted if it still had its fenders and chainguard, but as is, well, $99 is still too much. But I am pretty sure it's an old one, probably early 50's. The lugs are definitely pre-Raleigh.

world war 11 british bike, Hercules 26 X 1 1/4-1 3/8'' tires? - $99 (union n.j.)
Date: 2009-09-21, 7:53PM EDT
Reply to: sale-vtsbf-1385952107@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

correction , looked like a 3 speed stermey archer hub. hard to see but it has hercules stamped on it. been told it was made in the 1940'ies . can't determine what other stamptings are . have to clean better and get better eyes . bike has fittings on hanger and hubs to oil them . [shifter parts missing]. [have parts if i can find them , cheap] . you restore. think all original . raised metal head tube emblem . unusual frame lugs and fork crown . this bike worth more , lot more in years to come. have a few other vintage bikes.---have reguler [not high teck stuff] ,new tires, tubes and acc's. all at inexpensive prices. i'm a retired bike shop owner , if you buy parts from me i'll tell you how to repair it . call me,at 908-687-3170 11am to 8pm or e-m me -- Ed ---. right now bike worth 150 --- come see it,if you want something old AND you restore it worth much more ! stored outdoors starting to rust. i will suggest how to clean up. thank you

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 1385952107-0 image 1385952107-1
Old 10-08-09, 07:27 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Based on some observations of various Hercules (Herculi?) I think it is from the 40's, possibly the late 30's. I have a similar bike but it has a different head badge and the Hercules chain ring. It may be a lower priced model and thus not have the Herc chainring, or possibly it was switched out at some time?

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.